Local move Sacramento, CA - need advice (long, sorry!)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
a4adam

Local move Sacramento, CA - need advice (long, sorry!)

Postby a4adam » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:41 pm

Hi,

I've done 2 long-distance moves within CA recently and had excellent experiences with my moving agent (Golden Eagle/United), but now it's time to do a local move and I could use some advice.

I'm moving from Woodland, CA. to Davis, CA. in mid-September which is about a 12 mile move. I made a lot of phone calls and looked into movers in the Sacramento area. The only mover that was responsive and professional over the phone was Two Men and a Truck (all the others were immediate write-offs). Their BBB report is satisfactory but they haven't been in business all that long. And they want $143.00 an hour for a 3-man crew which seems pricey.

I live in a 3-bedroom, 1400sq ft. house with my wife. We have about 8500lbs worth of stuff but since it's a local move and we have the time, we're going to move a bit of that ourselves to save on the hourly cost. But does 5 to 6 hours seems like a reasonable load/unload time for 3 guys or am I being too conservative here? There are no stairs in either house, to or from the premises. No pianos or safes, etc. I'm hoping to keep this move under or around $800 or so.

Does anyone have experience with these guys (Two Men and a Truck) locally? I didn't see any reviews posted here for this area. And does Delancey St. do local moves in this area? Last time I checked, I was told they do not but that information could be incorrect.

Thank you,

-Adam

Diane

Re: Local move Sacramento, CA - need advice (long, sorry!)

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Hi Adam,

Could you give me a few more details about your two within-CA moves with Golden Eagle - where you moved from and to, when, cost? I'd like to add your comments to the Superlist linked to below my name.

I don't know anything about Two Men. However, I was wondering whether you could save money by renting a truck and having a high-rated mover from www.eMove.com load and unload it. Usually those movers charge about $50/hour for two workers with a two-hour minimum. I don't think Delancey goes as far as Davis.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

a4adam

Postby a4adam » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:04 pm

Diane wrote:Could you give me a few more details about your two within-CA moves with Golden Eagle - where you moved from and to, when, cost? I'd like to add your comments to the Superlist linked to below my name.

Done, see my PM.

Diane wrote:I don't know anything about Two Men. However, I was wondering whether you could save money by renting a truck and having a high-rated mover from www.eMove.com load and unload it. Usually those movers charge about $50/hour for two workers with a two-hour minimum. I don't think Delancey goes as far as Davis.

I hadn't thought about renting a truck, I kind of wanted to avoid doing that. Last year tried contacting Chipman Relocations but they didn't return my phone calls (I made two calls, neither were returned). I know they've received some good reviews but they seemed completely uninterested in doing the local move for me.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:07 pm

I think sometimes the eMove.com people will rent a truck for you and maybe even drive it. You could look into that.

Thanks for your Golden Eagle review - it would be great if you could post it here so people can refer to it later.

a4adam

Postby a4adam » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:55 pm

Diane wrote:Thanks for your Golden Eagle review - it would be great if you could post it here so people can refer to it later.

Sure, here it is:

In August of 2002 I moved from El Cerrito, CA. to Encinitas, CA. I actually did my research on the Internet and then contacted Golden Eagle. Golden Eagle is an agent for United Van Lines. As I recall, the first driver was based in Portland and I seem to remember him telling me that he works the entire West coast. Anyway, back to the review...my only complaint about the initial moving process was that the estimate from the estimator was very low. The estimator gave us a figure of 4500-6000lbs. I don't recall the exact details of how we got that particular estimator, but there you have it. Turns out we had closer to 10,000 lbs for this move so he was way off. It would have helped if my wife had decided not to move her rock collection, but what can you do!

Anyway, Golden Eagle was professional and responsive by phone. When the move day came, the United truck arrived on time. The driver was a seasoned veteran and a nice guy to boot. They loaded everything without a hitch (even though we had way more stuff than he expected). At the destination, the moving truck also arrived on-time and the unloading went smoothly. In fact, it was raining and the guys had to go up a very precarious set of mini-stairs when they got to our new place. The driver didn't charge us extra for any this (he probably could/should have). They did all of this in the rain and didn't break one thing. Needless to say, the driver got a big tip. Total charges came to around $3000 which is more than I expected but was in keeping with the total weight and the rate quoted by Golden Eagle.

Later we used Golden Eagle to move from Encinitas, CA. to Woodland, CA. in July of 2005. We had essentially the same experience, but this time we knew we had close to 10,000lbs (turned out to be closer to 9000lbs this time--no rocks!!!) of stuff. Again the movers showed up on time and were very professional. They carefully disassembled our furniture and wrapped everything. I felt that they were a bit slow loading the truck but that was mostly due to inventory and dissamebly time. The actual loading went pretty quick. Again they arrived when they said they would, just a few days later in Woodland. The unloading went smoothly too. This time only one item was damaged and it was an old and not very sturdy bookcase which didn't make it through the trip very well. The driver offered to settle with me for $50.00 and I agreed since it was only a $79.00 unit to begin with and was already old and worn out. All in all, this was another very smooth move and this time the charges were exactly what I expected.

I would recommend Golden Eagle again for a long distance move in California. Whenever I called to ask them about the delivery of my stuff, they always knew where the truck was. In fact, both drivers were very good about contacting us to let us know when they would arrive. My only caution to others it to make sure you get a good estimator!

Golden Eagle is located in Southern California.

-Adam

a4adam

Re: **Local move Sacramento, CA - need advice (long, sorry!)

Postby a4adam » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:56 am

One thing I should probably make clear from my previous post . Golden Eagle is not a broker but an authorized agent for United Van lines. I'm not that familiar with all the lingo, but there you go.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:10 am

Thanks, Adam - I changed "broker" to "agent" in your review and put a link to it in the Superlist under California-Inland Empire. I wonder, if you called Golden Eagle, whether they could recommend a moving company local to you. Maybe if someone at GE called someone at that company it would move things along.

a4adam

Postby a4adam » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:24 am

Diane wrote:Thanks, Adam - I changed "broker" to "agent" in your review and put a link to it in the Superlist under California-Inland Empire. I wonder, if you called Golden Eagle, whether they could recommend a moving company local to you. Maybe if someone at GE called someone at that company it would move things along.

Yeah I tried this and they recommended Chipman relocations. Again, I tried calling and e-mailing Chipman but they never responded or gave me an estimate on the cost of the move. I suppose I could try calling again to see if I get a better response.

Two Men and a Truck were very responsive and professional on the phone. If they are a good outfit, I won't mind paying a little extra for a good job but they are a complete unknown to me and I'm a bit concerned at the $143.00/hour rate for the 3 guys (I think we probably need 3 guys based on the last 2 moves we did).

I also looked into renting a truck and hiring movers through e-move. Our move date is only 3 weeks away so most of the better movers on e-move are already booked up, so I think I'm going to pass on this option. If Delancey St. came this far, I'd hire them in a hearbeat (I've used them twice before when I lived in the Bay Area).

Anyway, thank you for the suggestions, I'll post a review of our move when it's finished.

-Adam

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:43 am

Two people posting here who might know about movers in your area are "BigLeeCalif" (used to work for Chipman Concord) and "Nancy" (works for NAVL in CA and knows a lot about the statewide situation). You could send them both Private Messages to ask their advice about Two Men. You could just direct them to this thread rather than describing your whole situation in the message. It would also be worth at least giving Delancey Street and Moovers Inc. a call on the chance that they would go that far.

Sorry to keep asking you for details, but can you elaborate at all on your past experiences with Delancey-SF? I'd like to add to their review thread. I just need to know the approximate year(s) when you used them and your experience generally.

a4adam

Postby a4adam » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:14 am

Diane wrote:Sorry to keep asking you for details, but can you elaborate at all on your past experiences with Delancey-SF? I'd like to add to their review thread. I just need to know the approximate year(s) when you used them and your experience generally.

Ur, well....I used them a LONG time ago. Honestly, I can't even remember how much I paid or which years it was ('91, '94?). All I can remember was they came in, worked quickly, did not damage anything and were very courteous and professional. After I used Delancey, I swore I would never attempt to move myself again.

Return to “Open Community”