References

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
alsad

References

Postby alsad » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:58 am

Will somebody give me references about the following international relocation companies: Paul Arpin Van Lines, Allied Van Lines, Meridian Worldwide; Western Relocations, Schick Moving ans Storage.

Re: References

Postby 23 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:24 pm

Alsad,

I think there is a guy here named Ken that is about the most familiar with international companies. I would PM him and ask his thoughts.

Imovesomepeople is another person I have seen posting about international moving. He might be another to ask your questions to. His name might be Imovepeople or something like that!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:24 am

Most of the companies you mentioned would be the local agent only on your shipment. They would select a freight forwarder to send your shipment overseas. Do you know who the frieght forwarder would be on Western Relocations, Schick Moving and Storage, Paul Arpin and Allied? Allied does have it's own international forwarding division, but not all agents participate in it.

Ken

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:19 am

Alsad,

I must admit that the only two companies that you listed that I am familiar with are Allied and Arpin, and I have no knowledge whatsoever regarding Arpin's ability to do international relocations...

Of the companies who are quoting you, you should ask the following questions:

1. Are they a member of the HHGFAA (the household goods forwarders association of America)?

2. Are they RIM certified (Registered International mover - this is a designation by the American Moving and Storage Association indicating that the given company is trained and adept at international relocation)

3. Who will they be using as a destination agent overseas?

4. Have them put to you in writing that you are receiving a door to door quote from them including all known charges, including terminal handling charge at destination - this is very often a charge that is left off of quotes.

5. Who provides their insurance? (you NEED to purchase insurance - the odds of your goods sustaining some sort of damage as they ride on the water is pretty good, even with the utmost of care in wrapping and protecting your goods, there's bound to be something)

6. Who are they using as a freight forwarder? The company that picks up your goods will most likely be contracting a forwarder to arrange for the actual transportation of your shipment overseas. It is possible that the company does their own forwarding, but they should be able to tell you that as well...

Any company that cannot answer these questions for you without hesitation should immediately ruled out.

Once you have some answers to these questions from your potential companies, please let us (me) know if you need help sorting it all out.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:24 am

Excellent advice, Ken. In view of recent posts on this board, I also strongly recommend that "alsad" read the thread started by "80mm" and the thread "Is WWRelocations a scam?" to see what can go wrong if people choose the wrong company.

alsad

Postby alsad » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:49 pm

Thanks Ken,

I have the following information about
SCHICK INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION
Business Address :
2721 Michelle Drive
Tustin Ca. 92780-7018
Tel 714/731-5500
Fax 714/669-4220

Orig Agent: Schick Moving & Storage
Dest Agent: AGS Sofia
Carrier: Shipco Transport Inc., 101 West Walnut st., Gardena, CA 90248
Insurer: TG International Insurance Brokerage, Inc.

Ken

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:18 am

Alsad,

Can you let us know where it is you are planning on moving to??

Schick is an agent for Allied... it does appear that they do their freight forwarding through Allied International, but I am having trouble confirming this.

If they are indeed forwarding through Allied, they have a strong partnership of agents overseas - maybe one of the best in the industry. I would feel comfortable using them for my own international relocation.

Once they have provided you with a quote, Alsad, I'd be happy to go over it with/for you to make sure it looks legit.

alsad

Postby alsad » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:15 pm

I am moving from California to Europe - Bulgaria.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:28 pm

In response to the original question about Arpin and their ability to do International moving, the answer to that is yes.

Arpin is heavily involved in Military forwarding under their Company Arpin
Moving Systems, and Arpin International Group.

In my travails through the military contacts, I have come up with a list of Agents/Carriers in other countries for those interested in shipping TO the U.S.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”