3 movers in bay area

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
1stldmove

3 movers in bay area

Postby 1stldmove » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:46 pm

I've been browsing this web site for the past couple of weeks as a guest, and I finally opened my own account, so that I can seek more info.

I've had a couple of movers come and give an estimate, and I wanted some feedback on these movers.

FYI: We're moving from San Jose (3rd floor 1 bd apt) to San Diego (1st floor 1bd apt).

1. Hercules Van Lines: $1325 for 2072 lbs (includes storage which we need), and + $.45/lbs afterwards.

2. Crown Worldwide: $1318 for 3100lbs + $374 for storage + $.36/lb afterwards.

3. Nor-cal Moving: $3000 for 5000 lbs (includes storage) --> This is the only company that had a binding "total not to exceed cost."

I have read so many bad reviews about Hercules, but I wonder if they are as bad as what everybody wrote. I guess people still do business with them.

Because Nor-cal gave me such and outrageous quote (of course it is the maximum weight), I'm a little hesitant. This is my first long distance move, so I'm very stressed about it! Any insight would be helpful!!

farrah7031

Re: 3 movers in bay area

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:05 pm

1stldmove wrote:I have read so many bad reviews about Hercules, but I wonder if they are as bad as what everybody wrote. I guess people still do business with them.

Yes, they do still do business with them, because they probably haven't done a search like you have. Why the heck would you RISK them being "as bad as what everybody wrote"?

Lots of major van lines have minimums that they will charge during the summer, which is the busiest time of the year for them.

Have you considered an ABF Relocube and finding highly rated movers from www.emove.com to load/unload?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:05 pm

Did you call Moovers or Delancey Street?

1stldmove

Postby 1stldmove » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:55 pm

I did contact them, but I need to move in 3 weeks, and they are booked for an estimator until August 9. I'm worried it might be too late.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:49 am

If price is a concern, ask Moovers and Delancey on the phone whether they have an intra-state minimum number of pounds that they charge for. If they do, their quote is likely to be similar to Nor-Cal's. If they don't, it's likely to be more reasonable, possibly similar to Crown's. If they commit to move you, they will move you, so don't be afraid that they won't come through.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

1stldmove

Postby 1stldmove » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:19 pm

We've decided to go with Macy Movers. I don't think many people have written reviews about them, so we'll make sure to write a review when the move is done.

We ruled out the other ones because of several reasons.

1. Hercules Van Lines: Bad reviews here and grade "D" on LA BBB web site (despite how cheap they were at least on paper).

2. Nor-cal: Gave an estimate of 5000 lbs for a 1 bdrm apt (700 sf). Even with the weight deduction, I'm pretty sure it will not go over 3000 lbs (to be safe).

3. Crown: great estimator, great $/lb deal but storage was too expensive (and we need storage for a week).

We went with Macy Movers because of
1. reasonable weight (3000lbs minimum which is right around where we're at) and price

2. No complaints on BBB for the past 36 months

3. Friendly customer service

I had a hard time finding reviews about them, but the ones we did find seem ok. We'll make sure to give feedback when the move is complete.

Diane

Re: *3 movers in bay area

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:51 pm

Good - I think I read a recommendation of them on Berkeley Parents' Newsletter. Please do come back to report and include what they charged you for the week's storage.

1stldmove

Re: *3 movers in bay area

Postby 1stldmove » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:02 am

Here's the UPDATE on my move:

1. We went with Macy Movers from Oakland, CA. On the day of the pick-up, Cindy the coordinator calls me and tells me that one of the drivers is unavailable (she was giving me some excuse that his father got suddenly ill) and asks me if they can come the next day. I pretty much said hell no. After a couple of hours, she calls me back and tells me that they will be coming down. (I thought this was the beginning of the nightmare I've been reading up on this web site...)

2. The movers were supposed to come 10am-12pm. The 2 guys showed up at 3pm. Though the movers were friendly, it took them nearly 4 hours to finish the move. I live in a 700sq 1bd apt, but I think the extreme heat and living on the 3rd floor with no elevator could have added the time.

3. Delivery: They were very good with delivery in San Diego. 3 guys came in 15 minutes before their schedule time 8am, and finished everything in 1 hour (including assembling the furniture). 2-3 boxes were torn on the edges a little, but everything came (we had like 38 boxes total) all the way they were. I think moving into a 1st floor apt and 3 guys (instead of 2) on a cool day early in the morning really speeds up the process.

Overall, I would recommend Macy Movers (we weren't sure and got the max. insurance), but be ready for some minor surprises (like asking you to change dates). As long as you are firm with your rights and decisions as a consumer, they are accommodating. As for prices, they have a 3000 lbs minimum and storage for a week for $300. If we ever do a long distance move again, we would probably use Macy Movers again.

BigLeeCalif

Re: **3 movers in bay area

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:27 pm

Although Macy is an Atlas agent, they are a small agent, and don't have the luxury of a large fleet.

In the intrastate business, when contractors are used, sometimes things happen. It even happens at the van line level when a driver has an emegency right in the middle of a load, and someone else may have to finish it up.

Macy is a good company, and Jack Macy is a good owner who listens to concerns when given by either staff or shippers.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Re: **3 movers in bay area

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:16 am

1stldmove,

Thanks for this review, which I'll add to the Superlist linked to below my name, along with Lee's favorable remarks about Macy. If you see this, please post the cost of your move including the week's storage and valuation coverage.

I also made a note that you thought that Crown's estimator was "excellent" and if you want to post his/her name I will add it to the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”