*Experience with Wheaton agents? CA to IL move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nandita

*Experience with Wheaton agents? CA to IL move

Postby nandita » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi,

I am moving from Los Angeles to Chicago with a fairly small shipment (1000-2000lbs). I got in-home estimates from 3 major companies (Allied, Wheaton, and Atlas), and am leaning towards Wheaton as I felt most comfortable with their agent and also because seemed willing to try to accommodate my limitations around the delivery date. In terms of price, they are right in the middle.

The origin agent is Coast Valley Moving & Storage. They have an A rating with the BBB and provided me with references upon request. (I have yet to call the references).

However, I cannot find much information on the destination agent, Leibundguth Storage & Van Service. Their website (http://www.freewebs.com/leibundguth/) states that the company has been operated by its current owner since 1971. The BB says the company has a "satisfactory" record. I called the company and asked for references and they said "We don't do that."

Any experience or information that anybody has about these agents (especially Leibundguth) would be much appreciated. Thanks.

farrah7031

Re: Experience with Wheaton agents? CA to IL move

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:21 pm

We don't have any reviews on either of those listed companies.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:28 pm

Coast Valley Moving is in San Clemente, which is in Orange County, right? Not LA.

nandita

Postby nandita » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:30 pm

Yes, they are in Orange County, which is where I am moving from. Sorry about the confusion.

I already searched these message boards for info on the two agents and didn't find anything, that's why I thought I would see if anyone else could point me towards other information.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:03 pm

nandita, I'm not certain if I would worry too much about the destination agent unless you're looking to do storage or have additional services and for a small shipment like yours, I doubt you'll require their services. Now, is this destination agent in the Chicago area? If so, you might check with the Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association (IMAWA) at 217-585-2470 or 888-791-2516 and ask for the Executive Director for some insight into your destination agent.

Wheaton is a smaller van line and we aren't going to get many reviews from people who use them (or Graebel for that matter). The Wheaton agency would definitely be able to service you from San Clemente - even if you happen to be in the northern part of OC (though I would hate that drive in the morning if I had to make it everyday :twisted: ), so I wouldn't let that be a concern to you either.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

BigLeeCalif

Re: *Experience with Wheaton agents? CA to IL move

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:31 pm

Wheaton is one of the van lines we partner with from the bases in San Diego/Oceanside.

I know their dispatchers and they are good at keeping pickup and delivery schedules. Yes, they are a smaller van line, so there isn't so much business that they leave shipments for agents to load for them.

And their drivers are personable and efficient.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

nandita

Re: *Experience with Wheaton agents? CA to IL move

Postby nandita » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:47 pm

Thanks for the input Jim & BigLeeCalif. I called the Illinois Commerce Commission and lo and behold, the destination agent (Leibundguth) had their license revoked a month ago because they didn't have any worker's comp. I spoke to the Wheaton corporate office and they informed me that they have many agents in the Chicago area and that I can use another agent, Advantage Moving & Storage. I checked them out with IMAWA and they have had no complaints in the last 3 years so it looks good.

Return to “Open Community”