Get movers where I am moving from or to?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kendaneyko

Get movers where I am moving from or to?

Postby kendaneyko » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Hi,

I am moving from VA to MD (1.5 hours away), and am wondering if people usually hire a mover in the area they are moving from or where they are moving to? Is there any price difference?

Thanks,

-D

farrah7031

Re: Get movers where I am moving from or to?

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:23 pm

You want to find a mover that's local to your pick up because they need to come and do an in home estimate for you.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:25 pm

See this list and call some movers with good reviews:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7122#77122

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:08 pm

Although Farrah makes a good recommendation and I tend to agree with her, but for other reasons, even if you hired a company at destination to handle your move they could in turn set up a survey with the local agent who in turn handles all origin services needed by the booking agent (destination).

Most of the movers who volunteer here have moved hundreds of people in our careers not in the home towns of our agencies. We have even moved people from one state to another that our agency isnt even located. You do that with a good network of agents. Thus perhaps the biggest advantage of major van lines.

But if this is your first time considering a mover, I would use a local mover. Someone close. A company you can go visit. get a comfortably feeling with and able to gauge their responsiveness.

best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:22 pm

What town are you moving to and from? Perhaps there's an excellent company in the destination city that we have a lot of good reviews for. An hour and a half is not much, especially if it's crossing DC.

kendaneyko

Postby kendaneyko » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:11 pm

I am moving from Centreville, VA 20120 (near Chantilly, Fairfax, Manassas) to Towson, MD 21204.

From what I've read here, I am considering getting quotes from 3 or 4 of the following: Hilldrup, Von Paris, Beltway, JK, Mighty Men, Town & Country, and Big Green.

We are thinking of moving Oct. 8th since my wife has off work (Columbus Day) and I can do it any day since I work from home. We are going to move a lot of stuff ourselves and are only using movers for furniture and large items. Very few boxes, if any.

Thank you for your help!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:35 pm

Hilldrup and Von Paris might be very similar, but both are excellent.

I remembered Big Green being discussed here once, so I went back and found this thread, which also mentioned Mighty Men. It's also important to note that Big Green has an alternate form of license that does not require Cargo Insurance, so you'd have to purchase additional coverage from an outside insurance company. Factor that into the price.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4808

The gyst of it is that Big Green (which has only one truck and driver) overbooked and dumped the customer. They referred him to Mighty Men, who, when asked for proof of insurance, suddenly couldn't do the move. The reason being that they have no interstate license. While the DC area is one allowing for movers to cross state lines for what is essentially a local move, I'm almost positive yours goes outsides the boundaries of that commercial zone. They can't drive from Centreville VA to Towson MD.

So Mighty Men is definietly out, they can't legally move you. Big Green has the iffiest reputation on the list of movers your wrote, so if you continue to consider them, please push them to the bottom.

QuinnQuinn

Postby QuinnQuinn » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:52 pm

Are you the Ken Daneyko---Hockey player from the NJ Devils? :shock:

kendaneyko

Postby kendaneyko » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:41 pm

Just a Devils fan, born in NJ.

Thank you all so much for your help. I've got 5 movers on the list now that Mighty Men and Big Green have been cut.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:15 am

OK, please keep us posted on your decision-making process. Your details will help others in the future going through the same thing.

MovingtoMilford

Postby MovingtoMilford » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:31 pm

I just had a VERY good experience with Matthew Moving out of Clarksburg, MD. Their price come in the lowest of the four estimates I received and Reggie (the driver) and his crew really did a terrific job moving us from MD to PA. I would highly recommend them.

Diane

Re: **Get movers where I am moving from or to?

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:18 am

Thanks so much for this final good report on Matthew Moving, which I'll add to the Superlist linked to below my name. For those interested in the runup to your move, here is a thread with many more details - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14657
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:58 am

Glad your move went well with Mathew. But a side not and something we stress here all the time: The lowest estimate does not make the best move. Nor does the lowest estimate mean it will still be low in the end. Shopping on price alone is not the right thing to do.
Michael

MovingtoMilford

Postby MovingtoMilford » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:52 pm

Michael wrote:Glad your move went well with Mathew. But a side not and something we stress here all the time: The lowest estimate does not make the best move. Nor does the lowest estimate mean it will still be low in the end. Shopping on price alone is not the right thing to do.

The fact that Matthews came in with the lowest quote is merely coincidental. In addition to negotiating a GNTE price, I mostly chose Matthews because of their existing good rep and the fact that under their agreement with Allied, they must self-haul loads less than 500 miles. I didn't want to deal with shuttle issues. I feel very fortunate to have had such a good result with our move.

Here's a tip: We tipped the driver and crew BEFORE they even started packing or loading, after we walked through the house. Then, we provided a large gourmet sandwich platter, unlimited bottled water and Gatorade during loading and unloading, and bought breakfast for all during the unload. Finally, we tipped them after the job too.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:55 pm

Thanks for clarifying MM.
Michael

Return to “Open Community”