NYC to SF move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Nancy

Re: NYC to SF move

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:16 pm

Who are the four you are choosing between? On one of your posts, you said someone quoted you by the cubic foot. That is generally a sign of a scam. You should be getting quotes by weight and all moves should be able to inform you what tariff they are using. It technically should be written on their quote.

June

Postby June » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:43 pm

My four estimates:
1) Calif NY Express, 1300 cu ft binding (many red flags, will not consider)
2) Delahaye Blue Ribbon, 11,500 lbs binding(comm. barriers w foreign rep)
3) C. Meyers Moving & Storage / Mayflower agent 9,100 lbs non-binding
4) John C. Murphy / Paul Arpin agent 13,100 lbs non-binding
5) Estimator cancelled appt

At this point, considering only 3 and 4. Problem: 4000 lb difference in weight, $2790 difference in price in favor of Mayflower. Arpin has better reputation and record as far as I can see.

Thoughts?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:55 pm

June, I guess I have some doubts about Meyer's:

1. High driver out-of-service rating under its own authority number, with serious deficiencies as outlined by MusicMom.
2. Many people feel that Mayflower is not the greatest van line.
3. CEO of the company is Ofer Drori, who I believe is an Israeli.
4. Of five reviews of Meyer's NYC on www.epinions.com, four rate it very good and one rates it very bad. The ones rating it very good sound suspect to me.

What company was supposed to give you the fifth estimate?

Just out of curiosity, since you're a NYC resident and many people ask us about NYC movers, have you heard anything (good or bad) about Moishe's Moving Systems and/or Shleppers?

And, for 23, Patricia "in Brooklyn" is posting from California. That may be OK; I would just like her to confirm what city she is posting from and why.

June

Postby June » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:04 pm

Thanks Diane. 5th estimate was to be Clancy-Cullen / United agent. (I'm a bit suspicious that someone just now posted a query about Clancy). Estimator said he'd call to reschedule but his excuse was lame and I had already rearranged my day around the appt. So their window of oppty is closed.

Like what I read and have experienced so far with John C Murphy/Arpin. Mr. John C Murphy himself came and did the estimate. But how is it possible to have a 4000 lb difference?

No experience or opinion about Moishes or Schleppers in NYC. I see Moishes trucks around all the time. I looked up Schleppers but didn't see that they did interstate moves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:14 pm

Thanks, June.

I've seen such large differences in estimates before, and the moverguys (who are presumably all home with their families right now) sometimes say that one company is estimating more boxes, or is estimating that the boxes will weigh more (as when a person has a lot of books). If both estimates are nonbinding, won't you pay according to the actual weight anyway?

Just as a point of interest, CNYX's 1300 cubic foot estimate would be 9100 pounds, the same as Meyer's, since moverguys usually estimate 7 pounds per cubic foot. That means that Meyer's is estimating the same weight as a probable scammer . . . so if CNYX was lowballing, then Meyer's could be doing the same thing to get your business. (Lovely thought.)

You're the same person that I saw posting on movingadvocateteam.com and invited to come over here where you'd have more people to chat with, right? You never posted your tips about moving in NYC, you bad girl!

June

Postby June » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:23 pm

Yikes, busted by Diane. Sorry I didnt post my tips, but seems like you all have it covered. One big expensive issue in metro areas is the "shuttle" charges. No tractor trailers for the common folks. Ahh, love the big Apple, it takes your money moving IN and moving OUT.

Thanks for info about CNYX and lbs per cu ft. I DO have a lot of books and Murphy/Arpin did tell me he was estimating on the high side.

IMovePeople

Postby IMovePeople » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:52 pm

Won't comment on Mayflower in general one way or the other, and I have no first hand information on either of the two you are considering.

While Arpin is one of the smaller majors, they have a pretty solid reputation. I will say that if the owner himself comes out to do a survey, that's not always a GREAT sign. Might I strongly suggest that you visit 3 and 4's locations without announcing your intention to do so? If you have the time it's a good idea. Here's why I say it's not ALWAYS a GREAT sign. (I am NOT knocking the agency or the van line.) Is it possible that it's such a small operation that the owner/president/principal wears many many many hats and therefore does not have a sales force? If it is that small of an operation (again - small companies are not necessarily bad companies - why do I always feel the need to defend myself here?) will you have difficulty if you've had a problem with your survey/estimate - for example - who do you turn to if the surveyor/estimator IS the owner? Just a thought.

Did you ask #'s 3 & 4 if they would be willing to bind/not exceed your estimates?

Finally - as to the last surveyor who cancelled on you. #1 - Shame on him for doing it at the last minute regardless of the excuse - lame or not. If it were a true emergency, I'll buy it, otherwise - reasonable notice is only common courtesy. Because of the HUGE discrepancy in the two you do have - #2 - I would call their office tomorrow and tell them when YOU are available - if they have a different rep available to do the survey, I'd let them come out and do the survey and estimate so you have a third weight to go by.
Movers are People, Too!

June

Postby June » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:10 pm

Logistically impossible to site visit. Not concerned about owner/principal wearing many hats. More concerned about sleazy lowball types.

Doesn't "guaranteed not to exceed" mean the same thing as binding? I have two line items: "estimated final cost" and "estimated plus 10%" -- that's consistent with the Rights & Responsibilities handbook.

Patricia in Brooklyn

Postby Patricia in Brooklyn » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:06 am

Diane, I am posting right now from my office in midtown Manhattan. I'm not sure where you are getting the information that I'm posting from California. I am using the network at my workplace (a national company with servers throughout the United States and the world)--perhaps that has something to do with it?

I understand that you and 23 are just trying to keep illegitimate posters out of this space, but I'm just trying to figure out my move like the rest of you, and I'm becoming confused and frustrated. I registered to try to prove my good faith, but it is apparently still in question. Is there anything I can do?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:35 pm

Patricia, we just have to be extra careful here. Your details about Park Slope (great place to live, isn't it?) and so on have convinced me. I'll go on the other thread you started and try to help you sort things out as soon as the www.safersys.org website is back up. I haven't been able to make it work this morning. Just a FYI, there are many different Flat Rates--some OK, some horrible.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:21 pm

Safer's back up, I'm working on Patricia's companies from the other thread. Clancy-Cullen looks ok. Two inspections on both drivers and vehicles, and no violations, so that's a plus.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:26 pm

I just have a question about Myers...

Since we are UVL and MTI agents, I don't show Myers as Myers Moving & Storage, but as Myers Van Lines, Inc. The President and Gen. Mgr are Droris, and the other staff appear also Israeli.

I show them as Mayflower since 1998...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Patricia in Brooklyn

Postby Patricia in Brooklyn » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:27 pm

Thanks, everyone. I know you're just being careful for everyone's benefit. :)

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:35 pm

BTW, Mayflower is very diligently monitoring all of its agents and it would be difficult for Myers to operate within the system as a scammer, as a lot of the complaints against movers go higher than just the agent these days.

I wonder why omri couldn't at least list them as #1 on his good mover list that Tyrone requested.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:38 pm

Patricia, safersys is still down . . . that's the good old US Government for you! While we wait, can I ask you whether you've heard anything (good or bad) about Moishe's Moving Systems, which claims to be the largest moving company in the city, and/or Shleppers? Moishe's used to have a lot of complaints on the Internet but may have improved in recent years.

Lee, on the basis of present evidence I would characterize Meyer's as "dubious" rather than a scammer. Did you see what MusicMom unearthed about them on the FMCSA L&I website?

Return to “Open Community”