NY to OR move--do you know these movers?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Patricia in Brooklyn

NY to OR move--do you know these movers?

Postby Patricia in Brooklyn » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:00 am

I have done some initial nosing around as per the suggestions in the "How to Find a Reputable Mover" article. I have settled on the following prospects to give me an on-site estimate.

Clancy Cullen Moving & Storage (United) DOT 106845
Dun-Rite Movers (Wheaton) DOT 58017
Approved Moving & Storage (North American) DOT 595584
Flat Rate Moving Systems DOT 32557

I believe that these all check out and look good on "safer web" and the other sources listed in the article, but I'm new to this, so I'd appreciate any insights you might have. Thanks in advance!

June

Re: NY to OR move--do you know these movers?

Postby June » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:45 am

I'm moving the same direction, so will be interested in knowing what info you get. Yesterday Clancy-Cullen cancelled their appt w me at the last minute. Disappointed as I had blocked out my schedule for them and now its too late.

FYI - Was told their residential moving center is 2 hours north of NYC in Patterson NY. Bronx address is mainly used for commercial moves. Residential moves entails a shuttle into the city, then two hr drive north to reload on tractor trailer. A bit out of the way. Their verbal quote on the phone for shuttle was twice as much as other estimates - but that's the only number they tossed out so I wouldnt "freak out." Now I am wondering if they are a company with so many suburban moves to keep them busy, why bother with city dwellers? Just my opinion.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:52 am

Patricia,

Looks fine thus far. I have never heard of Flat Rate Moving Systems. Doesnt sound legit but who knows. If they are coming out let us know.

But come back with your results.
:arrow: weights
:arrow: discounts
:arrow: included services (packing, appliances, etc)
:arrow: valuation

Be prepared to get 4 different weights, and so on. Not everyone see's the same thing. Just make sure you tell the fourth person the same thing as the first, even if things have changed by then.

Where in NY are you?

Best of luck
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

lawra

Postby lawra » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:25 pm

Ok, I'm new to this but neither Flat rate nor Approved look ok to me. Unless I'm overreacting to things now that I've become paranoid...

Flat Rate had their liscence revoked in 1998 (reinstated), insurance cancelled a bunch of times, and israeli owned for what that's worth...

Approved had a name change in 1999, the same year their liscence was revoked (reinstated), it was also revoked previously in 1996. Lots of insurance cancellations and replacements ( is that a flag, or normal course of business?)

Dun-Rite seemed ok to me. Haven't looked at Clancy Cullen.

like I said, I'm new to this, so let me know if I'm misinterpreting data.

Laura

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:15 pm

Well, Saferweb is acting up again, so Ican't get details right now. I peeked at Lancy-Cullen, since they haven't been looked at yet. They are active, and the last insurance listed was taken out in 2000, but the Authority History tab shows no data. This is a bit confusing to me. I'll keep trying Saferweb until it works.

Patricia in Brooklyn

Postby Patricia in Brooklyn » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:37 pm

Michael, I'm in Park Slope Brooklyn (close-in NYC, so I guess I'm looking at a shuttle charge too . . . ) :( Thanks everybody for checking for me--MusicMom I'm looking forward to your opinion as well.

I am curious in the meantime . . . why is an Israeli owner a bad thing?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:56 pm

This is a touchy subject here. The reason Diane mentions that a company's owner is Israeli is that statistically, many of the companies known as spammers resolve back to Israeli owners. This is not to condemn an entire people (just heading off you-know-who), but should only be taken as one of several red flags. There are moving companies owned by Israelis that are good, and that's why we suggest you research the company further before making a final decision.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:04 pm

I'm gettin reports every now and then from Safer.

Dun-rite looks ok, although the only two driver violations were both for operating a truck without the proper license. Do customers have a right to ask the driver to see his proper paperwork when he arrives?

Going to see if I can get Approved's report now.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:06 pm

Oh, and in case you didn't yet read the other thread, Clancy looks ok, also.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:09 pm

Approved has a clean SafeStat record, but they have a few insurance cancelations, and their Common license was revoked twice (in 95 and 99). THey should be a little lower on your list.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:10 pm

MusicMom wrote:The reason Diane mentions that a company's owner is Israeli is that statistically, many of the companies known as spammers resolve back to Israeli owners.

Just a couple of small comments, MM . . . that was Lawra that mentioned it above, and, was "spammers" a Freudian slip? It seems as if many dubious companies do spend a lot of time spamming when they aren't scamming.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:16 pm

And Safer's down again... *sigh*

Flat Rate's numbers are actually DOT 488466, MC 254356. I'll check back ina little bt for the juicy details. I remember loking at them before an d not being impressed at all.

lawra

Postby lawra » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:28 pm

Speaking of Flat rate movers in general - here's something that the owner of Big Apple Moving in NYC wrote in reply to a manhattanusersguide article about using a Flat Rate mover.

<<You know I love MUG but I must disagree with the advice to seek a flat rate or even a maximum cost. I think the flat rate is the worst thing that the DOT ever allowed.

Why? Because it makes people feel that they have got the price that the move will cost and they will not be surprised. Bad movers love flat rates because they can change the flat rate if anything is not as the mover thought at the time of the estimate. Many times the mover will take advantage. They will look for, and find "problems" in the new apartment. The small elevator, the few steps before your elevator, the long walk from the truck to the elevator, the long walk from the elevator to the apartment, weather, the customer not being completely packed, etc. They then change the estimate on moving day when the customer has no choice but to go along with the new hourly estimate.

If I go to your house and estimate that the job will cost $1,000, my flat rate must go up 30% because I must take into account that the day will not go as perfectly as we would want. When does it? Take the person who gives you an estimate on a new bathroom. He can only give you an estimate on what he can see. If he takes down your old walls and finds the plumbing needs to be replaced, your cost changes. It is the honest company that explains that the price can change. The flat rate mover rarely tells you that it's only a flat rate if nothing goes wrong. And most flat rate movers find a way to 'up' the estimate.

What Big Apple does is to give a dropped rate after the estimated hours. This protects both the customer and the mover. The hourly rate drops in half so a few more hours over the estimate will not cost much. It also protects Big Apple because a job that takes longer than our estimate does not eat into the profits. The last thing the customer or I want on move day is a screaming match about the "new estimate". But we want to get paid for a job well done. >>

Patricia in Brooklyn

Postby Patricia in Brooklyn » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:43 pm

MusicMom, the Flat Rate I'm referring to, at www.flatrate.com, lists their numbers as

Interstate Commerce Commission ICC MC-254356
Department of Transportation NYSDOT-T32557

Are we talking about the same one?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:12 pm

Patricia, I did notice something a little worrisome on the BBB report about the Flat Rate located on Maiden Lane in NYC, which I believe is the one you're asking about with the MC #254356. Not only is the company listed under the two names Flat Rate Moving Systems and Flat Rate Movers Ltd. , but the BBB goes on to say the following:

This firm also does business under the following names. This is not necessarily a complete list.

Flat Rate Moving Systems
Flatrate Moving Systems
FR Moving Systems
FR Moving Systems Ltd.

I guess I am wondering why any company needs to operate under so many different names. Are you leaning toward using them?

Return to “Open Community”