Overwhelmed! Moving in 16 days...MD to FL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Rnjada

Overwhelmed! Moving in 16 days...MD to FL

Postby Rnjada » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:49 pm

I am preparing to move from Abingdon, MD to Tampa, FL. We do not have a new home in Tampa yet and will be going to into storage until we purchase a home (couple of months). We have a 4 bedroom 2700sq ft. home with unfinished basement and are doing the move with no help from our company. I have contacted several companies and received an estimate from United (Davidson Transfer and Storage) for $12,000 including 2 months of storage. I have also been in contact with a company out of NJ called White Glove Moving ($6800 estimated 14,000# plus 2 months "free storage") who I was horrified to find out had bad reviews when I researched this site. I have so much to do and have found myself up until the wee hours of the night trying to figure all of this out. We have a household full of stuff (estimated at 12,000# by United), but none of it is all that nice of stuff. I feel like for $12K I could buy new furniture. I just want an honest mover with a fair price and to stop feeling consumed with worry. I conntacted Von Paris and Hillthrep this weekend and no one has called me back. Now I am considering doing it myself. Any advise?

farrah7031

Re: Overwhelmed! Moving in 16 days...MD to FL

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:47 pm

If you want to do it yourself I would contact ABF at www.upack.com or Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net - You can hire movers to load/unload for you by going to www.emove.com and choosing a highly rated company listed there.

Unfortunately, it will make things extreme difficult trying to do it yourself AND have 2 months of storage.

Get a couple of other estimates from reputable companies on our Superlist. Storage and moving is expensive.
Last edited by farrah7031 on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:14 pm

The Davidson estimate sounds a little high but may reflect their capacity situation during the period that you intend to move and where your goods will be stored. The White Glove price to suspiciously low.

VonParis is a good choice for another comparative estimate but Hilldrup is in Stafford, VA and is probably too far to be considered. Hampden Moving and Storage, a Mayflower Transit agent, is located right in Abingdon. United Van Lines has another agent, Parks Moving and Storage located in Aberdeen. Alexander's Mobility Service, an Atlas Van Lines agent, has an office on the north side of Baltimore.

weem

Postby weem » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:03 pm

For price-Park United in Aberdeen.
For the best probable mix of price and quality--Matthew-Allied from Clarksburg, Md.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:13 pm

Weem's and Rick's suggestions are good if you want and can afford a full-service mover.

If cost is a concern, I would advise using Broadway Express as Farrah suggested. You have about 28 linear feet in a freight truck, which would cost you $3990. Then you could hire the driver at $30/hour to help load plus workers from Carolyn Cleans or Brennan's or some other moving company in your area. The usual cost is about $30/hour/worker. See the Superlist linked to below my name and scroll down to Maryland and independent companies to see reviews and contact information. Broadway Express has dozens of mostly rave reviews on a sticky at the top of the messageboard.

In Tampa, you could get a local mover or a company highly-rated on www.emove.com to unload your things into a self-storage unit. The storage with a full-service moving company is what is making your price so high with United. If you are willing to unload into self-storage in Tampa you can save a bundle. Disadvantage: you will have no valuation protection against damage while your things are in storage. Advantage: you will probably be able to access your goods if you need some of them during the two months.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

weem

Postby weem » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:45 pm

My advice is to get 2 more full-service estimates.
Then do a cost comparison based on Diane's suggestion.---off the top of my head you will probably end up with at least the following to do it yourself.
Broadway Express to Florida----$4000
Loading labor 10 hour @$120---$1200
2 MONTH self-storage@300 sq ft$1000
pads to protect in storage ----------350
probable shuttle to self stge $1000
final delivery to your new home $1800 based on 15 hours labor
truck rental for local delivery $250

Total less insurance $9600.

I am NOT trying to talk you out of self-move but want you to compare apples. 14,000 pounds is NOT an easy self-move do.

Rnjada

Postby Rnjada » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:25 pm

Wow, thanks so much for all of the help. Weem, you made a great point with the figure for the self move, not to mention the time and energy to do a self move (with a 3 yr old at my side). I have Park Moving and Storage and Advance Relo (referred by my real estate company) coming this week. I am also waiting for Von Paris to contact me. I will post the estimates for anyone who is interested.

Rnjada

Postby Rnjada » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:27 pm

Oh, and Hampden is coming tomorrow (Mayflower)

weem

Postby weem » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:52 pm

See if Matthew Moving in Clarksburg.,Md will give you an estimate---you are getting almost all your estimates so far from Uni-group agents. Unigroup owns United and Mayflower.

Rnjada

Postby Rnjada » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:39 pm

I did not know that. I have a call into Matthew Moving as well. Thanks again.

paorbust

Postby paorbust » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:49 pm

I LOVE YOU, JADA! Thanks to your advice I am all over this website! I hope you get lots of great advice (then you can pass along your wisdom to me!) xoxoxo karen

Mark Johnson

Postby Mark Johnson » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi friends,

I hope that they let me kindly post my thoughts here. They are genuine and real.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Mark Johnson and i am the VIP sales division manager at white glove moving.

I do not understand why the animosity towards our company, however be that as it may, we conduct several thousands of moves per year and conduct them with honor and excellence.
All real moving companies can and will sustain complaints. Over a 3 year period out of the many thousands of moves we conduct a year we had 29 complaints, which is a ratio of 0.001% i believe(my math is bad,but i believe this is correct)
All were resolved to the customers satisfaction.

We must be pretty good, we move many NFL players, celebrities, embassys, military, one of the Presidents family members last year, 2 former Vice presidents of the United States(one last year) 2 Senators 2 Congressman, and for many years were the exclusive movers for the New york supreme ct-and the New york criminal court.
Most of all tho, we move several thousand familys every year without incident.

Kindly lets do an experiment..RNjada was offered a move at 45 cents a pound with 2 months of free storage. This includes everything except packing. I REPEAT THIS INCLUDES EVERYTHING EXCEPT PACKING. She indicated that she would be packing everything and would need white glove to pack some things. So lets say her packing comes to 7 or 800 dollars, even a 1000 for arguements sake. she still will come out head and shoulders above the rest.
Indeed we know that everyone here would be watching closely for the slightest deviation or problem.

RNJADA WILL PAY 45 CENTS A POUND FOR EVERYTHING EXCEPT PACKING AND 2 MONTHS OF FREE STORAGE AND FREE REDELIVERY. And she will only pay for her actual weight not the estimated 14200 lbs that I estimated. This includes full dissasembly and reassembly for everything except the baby crib(we dissasemble but understandibly request the homeowner reassemble the baby crib)

In closing..Thank you for letting me speak. You have at least certainly earned my respect from here on out for that.
I hope that I earned your respect as well.

Ive had a very big life. I was a former highly decorated police officer and other interesting things. As are many in the moving business, i was slightly down and out when i came to white glove. Now I am one of the best moving Sales reps in the United States today. I get many job offers from other companies, and in fact i took one a year and a half ago for exactly 3 days. I was appalled at what i saw.

Ive met many big time people in my life, worked for some prestigious organizations, but i have never been prouder to be associated with some really great people here at white glove and I am absolutely proud to be the VIP Sales division Manager of this great company. I will never leave White glove(however im open to offers of 1 million per year LOL)

My name is Mark S. Johnson VIP sales division manager and once again it is an honor to work for white glove

Mr Walker thank you once again for letting me speak

Mark Johnson

Postby Mark Johnson » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:30 pm

Oops, one last interesting point. ( I apoligize, I always talk too much LOL)

Here is an interesting thought:

For a flat rate of 69 cents a pound. White glove will pack wrap and protect every single item in rnjadas home.

So anotherwords, she does not lift a finger( only to open the door for our professional team. We will literally then pack wrap and protect every single item in rnjadas home from the dishes to the pictures china etc etc.
This includes all labor materials everythingggggg.

Nothing left to the imagination. No guessing, no estimating no wondering.

A flat 69 cents a pound buys full packing 2 months of free storage and free redelivery. NO OTHER FEES THAT IS IT.

Now using the United estimators 12000 lb estimate it would be 8280.00 and we are responsible for everything. No hiring labor here labor there different storage facility shuttle trucks etc,. Using so many different entities who would be responsible if anything goes wrong. You can be assured that the loaders would say it was abf-abf would say you packed it wrong or was unloaded wrong or got damaged in storage. The storage company would point the finger at everyone else.
Point is when fragmenting a move with different outsourcing, no one will take responsibility.

So there it is 2 easy choices. Both easy to understand and for everyone to view.

Please understand tho, this is not special to rnjada because she is here. this is the same great rates and easy to understand service that we offer to everyone( the one exception is the storage-normally we offer up to 30 days free storage and free redelivery-we offered rnjada 60 days because she indicated that she might need it.

Even Presidential family members pay the same for the equivalent service, Vice Presidents too for that matter LOL.

So there it is in plainview for the world to see. Our prices, our service and everything is 100%.

Sincerely, thank you again for letting me enter this forum and conversation.
I must admit that i did not think highly of this forum, however to a man, you have garnered my respect as a stand up guy for letting me speak.

With best regards,

Mark Johnson,

VIP Sales Division Manager
White glove Moving

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the playground. Just a word of warning, though. You’ll get spanked by the moderators for advertising here. That’s why so many of the regulars keep coming back.

Your comments provide an excellent example of some of the confusion and dilemmas that the moving public will be faced with in a few short months.

In your explanation, the offer of moving a 14,000 shipment from Maryland to Florida for “45 cents a pound for everything except packing and 2 months of free storage and free redelivery”; or the more appealing pitch to “pack, wrap and protect every single item for a flat rate of 69 cents a pound” really means that your binding cost for the transportation portion of the move equals $45.00 per hundredweight or $6,300. Your company's estimated cost for packing, transportation and two months of “free” storage and redelivery is essentially $9660 where you’re allowing $3360 for the accessorial packing and labor services, drayage in, and storage costs so it really isn't "free".

With today’s escalating fuel prices, how can a company in Bayonne, NJ absorb the 25% increase in equipment operating costs by driving 160 miles south to pack and pick up a shipment in Maryland, return it to northern Jersey, unload it, palletize and store it, and then reload it onto an over-the-road van and deliver it to the customer two months later for less than $10,000?

The only way that I can figure to reduce the expenses associated with the move is to use used material to pack and then store the customer’s belongings on the trailer at your facility in Bayonne in the cold for their entire two months until the new home is ready. Since risk coverage wasn’t part of the pitch, the threat of a catastrophic claim is significantly lower with minimum valuation. Unfortunately, while this method may meet the customer’s financial goals, it really isn’t the best way to handle an entire load of household goods that will be delivered to a new home in a southern climate.

If this isn’t the plan, how do you keep your costs down so low in a high labor market like New York to be able to offer this type of pricing?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:43 pm

Actually, I think we'll leave his posts up for now. I'm curious as to the answers to Rick's questions.

Return to “Open Community”