Cambridge to Pittsburgh how it went

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
onward

Cambridge to Pittsburgh how it went

Postby onward » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:32 pm

I posted a little while ago about a move Cambridge Ma to Pittsburgh I thought I should report back on the move. I got a lot of great advice from this site much of which I didnt follow because of time pressures. I got qoutes from only 2 companies one a non binding from Marathon and one binding from Paul Taylor - United Van Lines. I tried to get a quote from Rainbow but they never showed up for the in home estimate and we were in a time crunch so i went with Paul Taylor- They were going to shuttle(which didnt thrill me but everyone else i called had said they would shuttle too) but ended up not doing that so the stuff went down in the same truck. Ive since found out from the workers that Paul Taylor sub contracts to independants for most jobs (which was the case with ours) but all the guys were great hard working young men who were very careful with everything. There were 5 guys to load and 2 to unload. Nothing was missing, nothing was broken and the bill came in under the estimate. So all in all it was a good experience. I was a little lucky in how things turned out but we can all use a little luck sometimes:)

Diane

Re: Cambridge to Pittsburgh how it went

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:48 pm

Great report and here is your prior thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9774

You say that Paul Taylor subcontracts to independents for most jobs like yours - could anybody comment on this? Is this common? Who are these "independents"?

onward

Postby onward » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:58 pm

Hi Dianne the young man who drove the truck (which he said was owned by the dispatcher he worked for -thats how he phrased it I dont know exactly what it means) told me Paul Taylor only has 4 full time movers and that he subcontracts most jobs to independants. Like I said all the guys were great and if the quality of all the independants he subcontracts to is that good I wouldnt have a problem with it but it was one of the areas that I didnt check into.(and I know I should have:)

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:03 pm

Maybe it helps keep costs like workers' comp and liability insurance down if Paul Taylor can farm this stuff out to independent contractors. I think I knew that much of the packing at major van line agents was done by independent contractors, but I didn't realize that actual moving of household goods was done by them. Hopefully someone will comment.

If you see this, were your things (I think you said you had about 7000 pounds) the only load on the truck?

PMueller

Re: *Cambridge to Pittsburgh how it went

Postby PMueller » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:17 pm

Quite often companies will have a few subcontracted crews. They don't necessarily farm out to independants, the subcontracted crews work specifically for that company, but do not receive an hourly wage with taxes taken out, nor do they have benefits like health coverage, etc. They usually are paid by % of the revenue and quite often are the movers that performed well in the past as an hourly employee that has purchased some equipment of their own and reap a higher pay % vs. working hourly. They are responsible for their insurance, taxes, etc. It works very similarly to the contract packers. I have a good friend that use to drive for Allied as he decided to slow down a little he sold his tractor and trailer and purchased pack van, material trailer and few other things and now does contract packing for Browning Moving (United) in Lakeland, FL. His quality of work is top notch and he has 2-3 regular packers that work for him. With alot of companies you will find it is more common to have contract crews for O/I (Office & Industrial) work vs. HHG, but is becoming more common. I know our office has several independant crews that perform local and intra work for us as well as packing.

onward

Postby onward » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:07 pm

ahhhhhh if were only 7000 lbs we were at 12000 plus (the estimate was only off by a couple hundred pounds and we already had most of it packed so Fred the estimator was really good) we have a LOT of books and big tools and a couple really heavy pieces like a workbench. Our stuff was the only stuff on the truck they basically used the shuttle truck and never moved it from that truck to the big rig that they said they were going to use. They just secured the load on the truck for the move.

onward

Postby onward » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:02 pm

Hi I forgot to add that we paid 6,377.00 for 12100 lbs cambridge to pittsburgh. Dont know if thats good or bad or indifferent but its close to what I expected so I went with it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:09 pm

Well, I saw where Marathon estimated your weight at 6900 pounds (Nonbinding), so I guess they didn't know what they were doing. They should not be used for interstate moves, in my opinion.

Return to “Open Community”