Move from DC to Atlanta

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tjmats

Move from DC to Atlanta

Postby tjmats » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:21 am

Very useful info in these forums! Thanks to all of you for helping the rest of us avoid all of those scammers out there.

Anyway, I already did a search on movers here in Northern VA, and am mostly just posting here so that I can share my experience with the rest of you.

So far, I've contacted:

Security Systems
Hilldrup
Von Paris
Mighty Men Moving
Quality Services Moving
Moyer & Sons

I plan on getting estimates from most of them, and will keep you posted.

By the way, I also had a bunch of junk that I wanted to get hauled away. Stuff that I just don't need/want anymore. I'll include a synopsis of that, too.

tjmats

Re: Move from DC to Atlanta

Postby tjmats » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:12 am

Some more info - I'm in a 2 bedroom apartment. Quotes are coming in around $2500-$3k.

I used Junk B Gone (www.junkbgone.com) to haul away some old furniture and junk. They were significantly cheaper than their competition, and I had a good experience with them.

I plan on having most of the movers come do on-site estimates at my place next week.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:54 am

If you use more than one Agent for a van line, you should get the same pricing, just FYI. We recommend 3 different van lines coming to do an in-home estimate. :)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:04 pm

Security, Hilldrup, and VP are all United agents, and will be similar if not the same.

I think Mighty Men should go from the list, though. They appear to have been noticed by the DOT for Unauthorized interstate moving. They submitted a MCS form 7 months before their license was granted.

tjmats

Postby tjmats » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:08 am

MusicMom wrote:Security, Hilldrup, and VP are all United agents, and will be similar if not the same.

Oops! :oops:

I think Mighty Men should go from the list, though. They appear to have been noticed by the DOT for Unauthorized interstate moving. They submitted a MCS form 7 months before their license was granted.

Ok, they haven't gotten back to me anyway.

Currently I've got Hilldrup, Quality, and Moyer & Sons all scheduled to come do an onsite visit this week.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:28 am

Good. Please let us know what they all say. If you want another name or two, I can suggest some, but you have some good companies.

tjmats

Postby tjmats » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:49 am

Quotes:

Quality - $2315.99
Hilldrup - $2434.67
Moyer - $3642.00

I'm impressed with all 3 - don't think I'd have a problem with any of them. I'm likely to go with Hilldrup, will keep you posted.

Also, anyone got any recommendations on places that may accept donated used books? Would like to get rid of some old books.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:20 am

A Half-Price book store could end up giving you cash for the books. Otherwise Goodwill accepts used books.

tjmats

Re: *Move from DC to Atlanta

Postby tjmats » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:11 pm

Just wanted to post the follow up on my experience using Hilldrup on my move to Atlanta from Virginia.

Overall everything went fine, and the movers from Hilldrup did a good job. They showed up on time at both ends of the move, and even helped toss two pieces of junk into the dumpster for me.

It turns out that I didn't have a BNTE so there were some overages on weight, but this is a company paid relocation so it's not a big deal for me. Just something to be aware of if you're especially $$ conscious.

Diane

Re: *Move from DC to Atlanta

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:18 pm

Thanks for this good review of Hilldrup and I'll add it to my Superlist linked to below. Yes, people should be aware that they should always get a Binding Not to Exceed estimate if possible. Terminology varies from van line to van line but for United and Mayflower companies it is called Option C.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”