Maryland to Maine

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
northbound

Maryland to Maine

Postby northbound » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:14 pm

This board has been extremely helpful in understanding what to look for in estimates, but we are still having problems comparing. We have three, with the transportation charges being the most confusing:

Matthew Moving (Allied): 9,275 lbs, (1,325 cubic feet) guaranteed price of $3,262 with a price reduction of $18.50 per cwt for the difference between actual and estimated if less. Due to the length and shape of driveway, may have to charge for a shuttle but wont know until the driver shows up. (I guess we pay while the driver waits for the shuttle??)

Thomas AAA: 8,500 lbs, (1,210 cubic ft) non-binding estimate of $3,233, based on a 60% discount, wont give binding and couldnt really calculate any reduction of cost if weight was less as that would have to be done at the office. Would use a 28 ft. truck, no shuttle necessary.

Town and Country Movers: 12,500 lbs (1,600 cubic feet) Binding not-to-exceed $4,735 with a credit of $.38/lb for any weight reduction, no shuttle charges.

To be fair, we have a fully furnished 4 BR home and a fair amount of the furniture/items will not be going. Rooms have been organized with what goes and what stays after the moving sale this weekend and were presented to all rep's that way.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

BigLeeCalif

Re: Maryland to Maine

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:31 pm

I'm a little puzzled by the reductions by cwt if the weight is less.

Some of you East Coast guys might want to tell me if things are different back there.

Northbound, this is how it works with (or should work) with binding not-to-exceed estimates.

When your shipment is loaded and rated, all the charges are rated at actual weights and/or services.

If the total of all charges exceed your not-to-exceed estimate, you will not be expected to pay any more than that amount.

However, if the actual total of all charges are less than the not-to-exceed estimate, you pay ONLY THE AMOUNT OF THOSE CHARGES. No rebate, no credit, etc.

Being in California, I am not familiar with how it is done there. But, even if you paid for the estimated charges with a cashier's check, you still should receive a refund for the difference between the actual and estimated charges.

I would ask them to clarify that for you.

I am surprised that Allied doesn't have an agent or contact in the dest area that could go out and check access for the shuttle. And they are giving you a guaranteed price, but saying that you get a price reduction if the weight is less.. That's another point I'd question. Guaranteed price with most carriers means that... no more no less.

Thomas AAA.. why won't they give you a binding estimate if they came out? I might consider eliminating them.. Sounds like their salesman wasn't too sure of what was going... Estimates can be revised up to the day of moving if necessary. I would think twice on them.

Town and Country.. Not sure why they came up with more weight than the others. Maybe you should ask them how they arrived at the weight.
Did they include everything, even what you said might not go?

You should compare all three estimate cube sheets, and determine if the piece counts are about the same. If someone has a good deal more or less you might want to question that person for more details.

Hope this helps.

Lee

northbound

Postby northbound » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:33 pm

Lee,

Just to clarify, the Allied agent did not know if we would need a shuttle on THIS end, at the house he was giving me an estimate for moving out of.

Thomas AAA did not want to give a binding as we had too much other stuff in the house that we could add to the move.

I questioned Town and Country about being higher and he was positive about his calculations being correct.

I will double check the cube sheets, thanks for the info.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:36 pm

Hmmm... a little worried about that Allied rep not sure of a shuttle where you're moving FROM. It's usually the shuttle at destination that is the fly in the ointment. A driver could go out an assess the location and advise sales if a truck can access the location..... Not wait till load day.

Thomas AAA could have cubed the things you specified as moving, and then cubed the other things to get the total cubes. It looks like maybe that is what Town & Country did.... charged for everything, knowing you will pay less if it goes less.

A binding estimate would include only the items on it, and by having the additional cubes available, if you didn't dispose of everything you expected, it would be a mere formality to revise an estimate before the load date. You don't strike me as someone who will suddenly say on load day that you want everything else moved also.

The other thing is his estimate is only $30 less than Allied, although Allied is showing almost 800 lbs more.

Trust your instincts, and go with the mover you feel most comfortable with.

Lee

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:18 pm

Lee and Northbound,

Lee I am guessing with these price reductions per lb. that perhaps the shipper (northbound) either figured out what would be deducted or asked what would be the cost if less and had it broken down to the last cent.

I explain like you do and do not break it down to the last cent for the shipper.

If Allied gave you a quote based on their TPG (Total Price Guarantee) then that is a binding estimate. They do not "according to my local Allied agent" weigh the truck, which we know is wrong and we know is wrong to tell the customer. But anywaywith the TPG, you will not be seeing a price reduction if your actual weight is less. Now if they utilized the current tariff, then yes, you cold see a lesser cost to you should the weight be less.

Another thing to look at is discount levels. Valuation? And if there is that much of a difference between the one and the other two, definitely look at your inventory and ask why?

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”