Review : A1 Freeman, NAVL, DeHaven moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sgt york

Review : A1 Freeman, NAVL, DeHaven moving

Postby sgt york » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:13 pm

I recently moved from Houston, TX to Chapel Hill, NC and overall had a fair experience, with a few beefs.

I contracted through Remax's movingcoach. They were somewhat helpful, worth what I paid for (which was nothing), and provided good insurance with no deductable. The main thing they helped with was getting us moved fast; from first contact with them to moveout was only a few weeks. Very good.

I wound up using A1 Freeman (Pearland, TX)/North American Van Lines/DeHaven Storage (Durham, NC). As it turned out, the whole move was done by DeHaven Storage. We got off to a bad start, but overall they did a good job, with only two real problems.

The first problem was that only two guys came out to pack and move us. 3 bedroom, 2 bath, family of 4, some 7000lbs of stuff. Two guys. They said they'd be there in the morning and get us packed that day. They showed up at 11AM, promptly left to get lunch, came back and "packed" (move two boxes, smoke a cig, move two boxes, smoke a cig, etc) at a snail's pace. They didn't finish until the next day at 8PM.

The move-in went GREAT. DeHaven's was very flexible with us (we were delayed arriving in Chapel Hill, and delayed delivery for a day at our request with no penalty). Three guys showed up bright and early and were gone by 2PM. And to our shock, there was only very slight damage to our stuff. A broom handle was broken, and a curtain rod was bent.

The second problem is still going on. We moved in over a month ago (move-in was 8/8), and we have still not received our final bill. The estimate amount was reportedly a good bit higher than the actual amount, but they charged my credit card the estimate amount. The estimate amount is still on my card, accruing interest while they drag their feet on the bill. I've left voice mail messages, had long conversations with managers, billing departments, and supervisors to no avail. It's always coming "tomorrow." In fact, while writing this comment, I got another promise on the phone that I will get the final bill "tomorrow morning, first thing!"

So, does anyone know if they are on some kind of time limit? Is there any way I can force them to send me the bill? I contacted my credit card company, and they said they'd put the hold "on record", but that it may not have much effect as that it has been so long that NAVL already has their money.

I really need it not only for the interest, but also because I am being reimbursed for this by my company. I can't get reimbursed until I have a bill.

Jim

Re: Review : A1 Freeman, NAVL, DeHaven moving

Postby Jim » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:21 pm

I would give your company's HR/relocation department a call and explain the situation. They also need to know if there's anything bad that happened so that some corrective action with the mover takes place. I suspect that the mover will have about 30 days from the date of final service performed (delivery, debris pickup, etc...) to final bill you, but your company should know the answer to that question...

Nancy

Re: *Review : A1 Freeman, NAVL, DeHaven moving

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:29 pm

Can the agency rate out your charges on a Cost Detail and then you submit that to your employer? Also, have you talked to NAVL customer service, or just DeHavens?

Unfortunately, NAVL is about 6 weeks out on processing recently. It's the busy time of the year, and they are backlogged during the busy season.

sgt york

Postby sgt york » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:33 am

Nancy-

I've talked to everyone involved; A1 Freeman, DeHaven, and NAVL. They (NAVL) have not submitted anything to Freeman or DeHaven. The file is blank (their words), so they have no cost details to forward to me. I was promised an itemized bill within two weeks of move-in by various people at all three organizations. The August busy season is a known thing, it didn't sneak up on anyone. If they are always backlogged in August and billing falls behind, then they should know this and not have told me I'd have my bill within two weeks. Had I known that, I would have simply gotten reimbursed for the quote, and not waited for the itemized bill.

The way it is now, I have to eat two months interest on about $1000 that I didn't spend, simply because NAVL wouldn't just tell me that they get backlogged every fall. If they had told me from the start, this wouldn't have been a problem. I understand getting backed up in a busy season, I think evryone does. What angers me is that they assured me that I'd get my bill in a certain timeframe, when it was known (or at least could or should have been known) beforehand that it probably wasn't going to happen.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:02 am

I would suggest that you contract REMAX. The paperwork could be sitting there since they are the "account" for the carrier.

sgt york

Postby sgt york » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:03 am

Good idea. I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:26 am

Send me a PM with your last name or contract number, and I will see if I can find anything out. No promises, sometimes we are locked out from other agent's paperwork. I will give it a shot though.

It's hard to predict a backlog. Most of the year, it does take two weeks from when the driver submits his papework to NAVL. However, drivers take two weeks to even submit their paperwork, and then another two weeks until it gets processed. So we normally tell our customers 4 to 6 weeks to account for all that time.

Diane

Re: Review : A1 Freeman, NAVL, DeHaven moving

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:15 pm

sgt york,

Thanks for this review of A-1 Freeman in Houston and DeHaven's in Durham, which I added to my summary post linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”