Positive Experience - State-Wide Movers New Jersey

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
vanmour

Positive Experience - State-Wide Movers New Jersey

Postby vanmour » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:05 pm

Move Report

State-Wide Moving & Storage Co., Inc
278 Monmouth Street, Suite B
Hightstown, NJ 08520
609-443-0756
609-890-0227
Fax: 609-443-9370

On 18 September 2006, I moved from New Brunswick, New Jersey to the upper-west side in Manhattan where I had two drop-off locations. The first drop off, my primary residence, was in a landmarked, 1920s high-rise with a miniscule service elevator. I could not imagine that my couch or table could fit in the elevator or through my front door. The second drop off, a friend’s place, was in a modern high-rise with a proper driveway to the service entrance.

Four men and an enormous truck showed up at my New Brunswick home right on time. They walked through my New Brunswick home to size up the task and then efficiently loaded the second stop to the modern high-rise on the truck first, followed by the first stop, my primary residence. The hardest part of the New Brunswick portion of the move was maneuvering the large truck into my driveway. After several tries, they were able to angle the truck into just the right position. Clearly the driver was experienced and in total control of his vehicle, something that would prove vital later in the day.

The actual loading of the truck took no time at all. After I gave them careful instructions to New York and left them with my cell phone number, they set off to New York City while I had to travel by train to Manhattan.

I arrived two hours later at my place to find the truck double parked in front of the service entrance to my building and the team of movers waiting patiently for me. While they waited, they unloaded as much as they could into the service hallway. The off loading of the furniture, boxes, and luggage went VERY smoothly. Though the elevator was far too small, they masterfully maneuvered the furniture into it. I was most impressed with the reassembling of my lovely 1950s teak kitchen table which had to be taken apart to get into the elevator. When it was put back together, the most experienced of the team took the opportunity to instruct me and his less-experienced partner how to assemble this carefully crafted and rarely seen Scandinavian piece.

The second stop at the more modern building proved to be more complex. The truck was so large that it totally blocked the driveway which was shared with a busy New York City parking garage. The team had to spirit the furniture off the truck. Two of the men moved the truck while two stayed with the furniture. It was clear that the duo with the truck was struggling to turn the enormous truck onto a narrow Manhattan street lined with parked cars. The other team was efficiently moving the furniture to the service elevator. Remarkably, 30 minutes later the duo with the truck appeared and pitched in to finish up the move. They had made it through the narrow Manhattan streets and then double parked the truck on one of the wide New York streets and left it to rejoin their companions.

While we were finalizing the bill, welcome Colas were passed around. The payment went smoothly and off they went with thanks all around. There was never complaining about small elevators, cranky parking garage attendants, over zealous doormen, etc.

Frankly, I dreaded this move. Ben, Tim, Nick, and Dave, the team from State-Wide, made it totally painless and hassle free for me. I most appreciated that when faced with adversity, instead of complaining, they said, “Not to worry, we are pros and will figure it out.” They kept reassuring me that they understood their profession and would make sure the move happened smoothly. In the end, this was not a shallow platitude but a totally genuine statement. I really believe each man on the team took pride in the challenge to move me. They took care of both me and my possessions.

My thanks go to Ben, Tim, Nick, and Dave and to State-Wide.

Diane

Re: *Positive Experience - State-Wide Movers New Jersey

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:20 pm

Thanks for this excellent review of an amazingly good move with an independent company that I had never heard of before. Unless it is the same company as State-Wide Moving in East Windsor with MC #296894, Statewide doesn't appear to be licensed to move people interstate (please post if you know otherwise), but since your move is within the NYC metro area it was done legally.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:29 pm

Diane-
Here's their FMCSA information:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

they also have a website:
http://www.statewidemovingco.com/

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:34 pm

Oh, I see, Farrah - they ARE the same company. This company has actually been discussed here before (I recognize the photo). Here is the previous thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6667

Confusingly, the company has two BBB reports under slightly different names:
http://www.trenton.bbb.org/nis/newsearc ... 0011002383 (State-Wide Moving in East Windsor)
http://www.trenton.bbb.org/nis/newsearc ... 0011003604 (Statewide Moving Company in Hightstown)
The first company has 0 complaints over the past 36 months and the second company has 1 complaint. Does the BBB cross-check, I wonder?

I guess the Superlist listing should have their new name (with the hyphen).

BF

Re: Positive Experience - State-Wide Movers New Jersey

Postby BF » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:10 am

Recently moved from N. Jersey to central Jersey using Statewide movers. Had a very good experience. Tom, Mike and Chris did an excellent job. They were quick and efficient.....even with a very tricky job of maneuvering my couch into my new place. They charged what was quoted to me. Would recommend this company.

Return to “Open Community”