Help! Trying to abort disaster in San Diego

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Kaitlain

Help! Trying to abort disaster in San Diego

Postby Kaitlain » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:23 pm

I just got scammed bigtime by Wright Way. Since they still have my stuff here on a truck I have to move on seeing what can be done via the Sheriff, etc. They are proving to be one of the most dishonest outfits I've ever dealt with, and, as I tend to be honest and take people at their word (even after living in San Diego and being repeatedly scammed), and am a very small female, I've been taken more than I'd like to think about. They pulled every classic scam maneuver, and because I had initially trusted them and they pushed me against the wall time-wise, I was too stressed not to allow them to load. (My leased apartment days, which were extended due to them, were up Friday. They didn't show up Monday, Tuesday. or Wednesday, and when I would call "Gloria" would say they would be there "later" or "tomorrow". When I called on Thursday am to say I was making other arrangements, Ron said he would be there in 15 minutes--I wasn't even dressed at that point. They had not given me a copy of the estimate--2850 based on an on-site review. (I removed over 400 lbs. of books and Cds and got rid of some furniture after the estimate, hoping to lower costs.) I called several times and was told Ron would take care of it when he came out. He still would not give me a copy, jumped it to $4209 and said it wouldn't include my sofa, loveseat, kitchen items, etc., after they started loading the truck. He even refused to let me read something he told me to initial, saying "Our moves usually take an hour. You've gone over that and are wasting my time. INITIAL THIS." I had asked about additional insurance coverage, as the $.60/lb. by law is ridiculous. He said it wasn't available. When I was able to get my glasses on to read the thing, it said I refused additional insurance and that I was waiving the right to anything above $.10/lb. (There is a new LCD HDTV loaded that only weighs 50 lbs. boxed. If they damage it I'll entitled to $5.00 back on over $1000 purchase....)

If I hadn't been so sick that day I would never have let them in my place. Now I have almost all my possessions at risk with major scam artists and an insurance value of $420.00. Did I mention they are closed Fridays, Saturday, and Sundays? They didn't even answer the phone when I left a message that the check I wrote could bounce, as it exceeded what I had left in my account to cover the move.

After reading through the posts here that referred to them, I now understand why Ron Wright tried to get me not to bring my sofa and loveseat. I'll post in more detail later tonight.

I've both cried and thrown up over this (had a serious migraine by the time they actually arrived) and am particularly upset that I allowed myself to be taken this way. Now that I've had some sleep and am functional I'm going to try to recoup whatever is possible.

I did call the CSMA and was given some helpful suggestions. I was driving at the time so I need to call them back on Monday to see where to go from here. The Sheriff was one. Any help posters can offer will be much appreciated. I left a message that I would be happy to pay for the time they spent loading the truck (which was under two hours) and driving it and returning it here, as I cannot afford the $4209. I plan to just donate some of my furniture and ship DHL as much as possible or see if there was another more reputable company (Atlas Allied in Poway and ACE seemed trustworthy) able to do the move. Some friends offered to drive a truck for me at a reasonable amount. (They offered as a favor but do need money so were easily persuaded that I wouldn't accept it without paying for it.)

I didn't realize that these guys were sending stuff as freight until I came to this site. My neighbors were referred to them by several companies for their very small move and told me they must be good as they had several referrals. The guy from the company never told me they weren't using a moving van and gave me the impression they rented space that was left over on vans. I called multiple times to ask for some paperwork explaining how things were done--cubic feet, pounds, etc., as they gave me NADA. The guy, Jerry, seemed so nice, I still trusted them. When Ron started on the over $4000 number I told him I had estimates between 2000-3000 from moving companies and he laughed and said they would charge me between 8 and 10 grand for this move. (This is a classic scam move.) He had already started loading the truck and every day here cost me $66 in addition to what I'm paying in Oregon, so I just caved, although I didn't realize that wouldn't even included my sofa and loveseat. When I saw how they really operate, I understood why they would be good, as someone said, for one to two pieces of furniture, but for a move like mine they are a living nightmare. If they had a shred of decency, they would have told me that they shipped as freight, so I would have known my fragile items are at risk and would have investigated the cost issue more. Also, I found out from the posts here they just leave your stuff on pallets outside in large boxes. I am 60 years old and 5 feet tall and moving to a place I've spent 3 days in. Jerry had told me they'd bring the furniture in.

Once again, thanks for any suggestions. (The move is out-of-state from San Diego, 1100 miles to Salem, Oregon.)

consumer advocate

Re: Help! Trying to abort disaster in San Diego

Postby consumer advocate » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:16 pm

Kaitlain,

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I know it's a terrible thing to have to go through. Most of us here have experienced something like what you're going through.

You need to contact www.moverescue.com to see if they may be able to help you. It's a group of lawyers that have some ways of getting moving companies to cooperate. They probably won't be available until Monday so it's not a bad idea to get in touch with the local police and see what they say. They may tell you it's a "civil matter" but it's worth a try since you've clearly been grievously scammed. And in the meantime, you can register a complaint on this site that can be forwarded to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the organization that is supposed to help out in situations like this. Also, keep in touch with the CMSA on Monday.

That's all I can tell you at this point. Please keep us posted on what's happening with you. Again, I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Consumer protection is desperately needed in the moving industry.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:36 am

Do you have the full name of Wright Way?

MC and DOT numbers?

I work for a mover in Escondido and can check out this company... Don't see any Wright Way in Southern California
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:45 am

you seems to know what companys are good now. why did not you use them first?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:39 am

That's a back-asswards way of thinking. Hindsight is 20/20, not foresight.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:45 am

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and support. I thought that part of this was a weakness on my part not to have put my foot down or caught on faster, as well as lack of physical dimension, but nearby neighbors--the wife is 4'10" and husband 6'6"--told me they've had a bad experience with a local move, being overcharged on the hourly, so I guess height, etc., isn't as much a factor as just needing to be moved.... It's hard to believe that there is so much corruption in an area of such common need.

I'm going to follow the CSMA's suggestions, as well as yours, and have visited the Move Rescue site. I plan on sitting outside their office (which if I had seen before-hand would have been enough for me to run for the hills--it's really scary.* ) on Monday morning and trying to present the financial advantage for them of letting me pay for their time and returning my stuff. I'm not working and have no funds they can tap into if they want to make this a fight, plus, if there's any fairness in the world, they won't win. I hate bulllies and scam artists, and I will fight them, even if it jeopardizes my possessions. I had too much clutter anyway....

I will post on my progress and what actions were helpful. I'm going to try to contact Chris Lund (?) to see if he has any suggestions on Monday, as well.

I was really happy to see this site, which I found searching for any info on these guys. CMSA also recommended it.

(* My stuff is sitting on a truck with a lock smaller than I used on a gym locker and in a neighborhood with cars with smashed-in back windows.)

Thanks again,

Kaitlain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:52 am

Kaitlin, don't let anyone tell you it's your fault for your move going wrong. Like a rape victim, it's the bad guy's fault, end of story. I've been scammed, too. You and I are smart people who got taken by con men.

Kaitlain

Postby Kaitlain » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:18 am

BigLee, these guys are not movers. I didn't realize how they operated until I read posts on them on this site. They pick up and package stuff and then ship it as freight on different carriers, absolving themselves of any responsibility once it leaves San Diego and not informing the customer who has it. I think I had already said if they had a grain of decency they would have told me a move like mine was prohibitive done by them. They left my sofa and loveseat, telling me it would cost between 4-5 hundred to move them and "most people change them every 5 years, anyway'. I love my sofa and loveseat and don't have the money to replace them, but they were already at 4200, 1400 over what they quoted, so I just said to leave them. It didn't seem right, since they said it was $.90 a lb, and they're really light, maybe 210 at most. I didn't realize that they move stuff on pallets and have to box them.

Anyway, CSMA checked all the agencies which would regulate them and couldn't come up with anything. The name at BBB is "Wright Way" and the VP is Ron Wright. I checked under fictitious names at the county recorder's and it is owned by something like San Diego Van and Moving--I'm not sure if that's right and will repost with the correct name as there is a more legit outfit with a similar name.

To that other poster: The reason I didn't do more research is that my neighbors, who have a very small move, told me that all the moving companies they called were referring me to these guys, so they must be good. The guy who came out to do the estimate seemed really nice, talked about the loss of ethics today, etc., and joked a lot. He also seemed protective of me that I wasn't being scammed on my place in Oregon, and the quote, which was done with full view of everything I wanted to take, plus, seemed reasonable. It sounded like they were using excess space on larger moving company vans, which my gf had told me I should try to do. I had no idea how they really operated. Someone here had posted that they're fine for moving one or two pieces of furniture, but the packaging would bring up costs massively for a larger move, which I didn't realize as it wasn't explanined, and that they doubted they would move a sofa. They also acted like they had a team of professional movers and packers and the guys they used were very small and totally inexperienced non-English speaking Mexicans who were killing my stuff. I was yelling "ten cuidado" every time they picked up something and was trying to carry my stuff down to the truck with a re-aggravated herniated lower disc and recently sprained hand and wrist to protect it.

Anyway, I hadn't found anything on the net about them until I realized I was being scammed and found this site. I now know that scammers present as nice guys as part of the scam, then turn around and intimidate.

I was scammed last year by a dentist, almost lost all my teeth to find out that CA doesn't require malpractice insurance and attorneys will not take on a case without it. When I had my teeth salvaged in TJ, everyone said "arent't you afraid to go to TJ? They don't have insurance down there?" It was so ironic. (Pacific Dental in TJ did an excellent job.) The scammer dentist presented a substantial CV and seemed really nice and is a member of the BBB. It turns out the BBB won't involve itself in a dispute with a health practitioner, although it will allow them to use their credentials. This guy, Nordquist, turned out to have the largest malpractice, breach of contract and fraud case ever in CA and is a proud member of BBB with no complaints against him, as they won't take them. (I am working with the CA Board, who expect to remove his license.) Live and learn.

Kaitlain

Kaitlain

Postby Kaitlain » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:42 am

Music Mom, thank you. When I called my friend in OR, crying, as I'm still kicking myself about the dentist (whom the deputy attorney general told me has scammed a godzillion people), I was really upset with myself, as it's like a rerun. With the dentist, whose office mgr didn't want to put anything in writing, I was at least on top enough to insist on it. I was so mad at myself for trusting someone again and then getting massively ripped off.

My gf reassured me that she would have had a hard time not caving when these guys said they were coming over in 15 minutes and hung up, then started loading without waiting for my permission. (I had stuff sitting outside for several days waiting for them.)

I think it's clear that con artists gravitate toward certain fields, where there is little legal liability and people are vulnerable--and it does feel like a personal violation. Once I'm on my feet I hope to see what I can contribute towards seeing that better legislation is enacted.

Thank you,

Kaitlain

(My friend and I agreed there has to be a time limit on beating yourself up for past stupidities. It's a shame that it's "stupid" to not research a person into infinity just to protect yourself today.)

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:46 am

Kaitlain,

Don't even spend a second beating yourself up over this. Like MusicMom said, we're all intelligent people who got taken by smooth, experienced scam artists. When this is all over and you're settled in your new home, do consider taking some time to write to your representatives in Congress to support consumer protection in the moving industry.

Keep us posted on your progress.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:37 pm

My time limit was three days of no sleep, then I started fighting back and haven't stopped since.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:13 pm

Please do try to find the correct name of the ownership company.

I would stake my life on the fact that it is not San Diego Van & Storage. I personally know Steve DeBolt, and the DeBolts have one of the most ethical businesses in Southern California.

They do not have other divested interests, and their Mayflower representation is of integrity without question.

You mentioned..

(* My stuff is sitting on a truck with a lock smaller than I used on a gym locker and in a neighborhood with cars with smashed-in back windows.)

To actually know where your goods are would be the best thing that could happen under the circumstances. You could contact the local authorities wherever that vehicle is located, and report it as a hostage vehicle, and that your personal items are there and the owner is not returning them to you as per your request.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:22 pm

Kaitlin, what phone numbers, emails, websites, or addresses do you have for these guys? I can try to track them down. I'm not seeing an incorporation or BBB report under "Wright Way".

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:26 pm

Kaitlain,

Please don't beat yourself up for your choice of this company. Many very smart people have been taken by illegit movers, we all would love to trust companies, especially when they come from referrals. You took a leap of faith, and unfortunately have learned a horrible lesson. But this does not reflect upon your intelligence, this has happened to soooo many very smart people. It just stinks that it keeps happening.

It really sounds like Wright Way got in over their head on your move. They are a freight forwarder and shouldn't be handling shipments of 2800 Lbs. I would say that you tell them that you will have another mover come to their facility and pick up your goods. You will have to pay them for the local pick up, which shouldn't be more than about $1,000 to $1,500 (unless you had them do a lot of packing). Then have this other mover weigh your goods and ship them to Oregon. For 2,800 pounds (if that is accurate weight) a full service van line should be about $2,000 to $2,500.

Perhaps BigLee could help??

Good luck with this, and I really hope it all works out.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:27 pm

Gosh, thanks for all the helpful advice.

First, and most importantly, the owner's name is definitely not , per the county recorder, San Diego Moving and Van--I think that name stuck in my mind as it was listed as a trustworthy company. They're owned by "San Diego Air Freight" and the president is Jerry Fahy, who gave me the onsite estimate. Ron Wright is the VP. Their phone answers for "All That Jazz", as well.

They are listed in San Diego's BBB as Wright Way, with 3 satisfactory complaint resolutions. Hopefully they'll work something out with me. I'm going to try to get someone who will pick up my stuff from their site and move it on along to Oregon, if I can do that in enough time. It doesn't look like they have much room for anything at their office and may only have one truck, so I have no idea what's going on with my stuff, which I'm sure is still loaded on it, as they picked up on Thurs. morning and were closed on Friday. They picked up things I didn't want moved and hadn't packed, so not everything is ready to go as is. I'm praying my stereo isn't scratched beyond repair--it has black piano lacquered speakers (made by Yamaha) and they put other stuff right on them without covering them. I was keeping that to bring in the car and hadn't packed it. There were a number of things that should never have moved out of the apartment without being padded--especially a ($2000) mother-of-pearl Asian screen that is very delicate. I was in shock and Ron completely ignored my concerns, telling me I was "too nervous" and it wasn't fun to be around that. I've resigned myself that there are things that are already too damaged to use.

Nancy, although Jerry estimated my stuff at appr. 3000 lbs. after spending enough time room to room to see everything, Ron said I had at least 4-5 thousand lbs. and I had to stop the loading when he said I had reached 4200. (This was a full mattress and boxspring and the bottom metal frame, 2 nighttables, 2 bedroom chests, 2 light folding bookcases and one heavier one, 4 40" x 24" bookcases, and some boxes, wicker baskets, and rubbermade containers, as well as the two asian screens. a small kitchen table and chairs, sofa table, (gave away coffee table that had been included in estimate) TV that was 50 lb. boxed, vacuum cleaner, 2 lamps, and some pictures and my bike (the stereo is a mini.). He obtained this weight by a small scale on the truck, and wanted me to stay upstairs and away from the weighing.

A lot of my things are totally inappropriate for freight shipping, and if I had known what they did up front, I never would have considered them. There is no way on earth I will pay these guys 1000-1500 for under 2 hours work by 4 illegals. If they want to produce social security numbers of their "employees" and proof that they paid workman's comp, etc., and I have proof of payment of more than 20/hr per guy, I might consider more than the $500 I'm anticipating. I've had to pay $66/day (and $44/day for the kennel) to stay at my apt past lease expiration due to their screwing with me, have been through more stress than I want to think about due to their dishonesty, and simply don't have the money to pay 1000-1500 and then pay another mover. I'm not working and literally may have to sell my car to get by when I get to Oregon. I had budgeted 3k for the movers, as Jerry quoted me $2850. My income when I get to Oregon will be $978/ month, so I'm on a really tight budget. The reason for the move out of CA is that I can't exist on that in CA, but it's feasible in OR. If they demand that much money I'll have to abandon my stuff and sue them in small claims court. They knew this was inappropriate on their part from the getgo and thought I was stupid enough and had enough cash (the car's a Lexus) that they could scam me. Ron made some comment about my being "luckier" than most people, looking at the car and where I'm moving from, (and several diplomas that were with the pics) without having a clue as to my current diagnosis and financial picture. Sorry for ranting, but I was shocked when I saw your estimate of what they would probably charge. The truck was loaded in less than 1 and a half hours, and this was with these guys barely working. If I thought they were charging by the hour, I would have freaked at how they were just standing around. Anyway, if that's what I have to expect, I'd better resign myself to relinquishing my stuff. I've been contemplating hiring some Home Depot hanger outs to move the stuff into a truck and driving it myself, then coming back for the car. I didn't want to do a truck before because there isn't enough room in the front of the Penske for both dogs and the cat, and I didn't want to increase the jealousy by taking one at a time, but at this point I may have to, unless they'll give me back my stuff for a reasonable amount and I can get a reputable company to pick it up really soon.

I'd better get back to work on my chores right now. At least I won't be shocked if they demand a lot of money now. I'll have to work on the possible options later tonight. If anyone works for a company (BigLee?) which is able to do the move pretty quickly, I'd really appreciate it. I will eliminate anything that makes it over what I can safely pay and I think I should be able to make the minimum weight.

Thank you all,

Kaitlain

Return to “Open Community”