Security Relo & Storage (Atlas Van Lines)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
amcoop

Security Relo & Storage (Atlas Van Lines)

Postby amcoop » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:23 pm

Whew! I finally made it, am getting settled in, and have internet access to I can post my praises!

I recently moved from Seattle, WA to Charlotte, NC - however, I also had about a two month layover period in which I needed to store my belongings. After some research I opted to coordinate with a moving company in my destination city because they could give me a greater discount on my storage costs (SIT). Storage options vary, and of course I could have saved more by storing it at my own strage facility, but then I would have lost the valuation coverage should anything have been damaged in storage or coming back out when I was finally ready for delivery.

At the Seattle (Bothell), WA end of things Ace Relo did the packing - three people for a 1200 sq ft, 2 bedroom condo - and two guys came the next morning to load everything. It went fast and professionally and I was truly impressed. I think it only took about a week for my items to make it across the country during peak moving season. And though I was not home at delivery out of storage (my boyfriend handled that for me) he indicated that they too were professional and quick with it all. Everything came to me in as good of shape as it had left Washington in. I have a lot of pressboard/do-it-yourself furniture (read IKEA here) that I actually had to sign a disclaimer that it isn't covered by the valuation coverage due to it not shipping well. I had nothing wrong with any of it - I had to pound in a few tacks that held some backing on one shelf unit, but no damage. The only remotely damaged item was my BBQ (a Weber coal grill), it got a bit banged and bent, but to be honest, it wasn't enough for me to bother with trying to file a claim, though I am sure that would have gone just as smoothly.

My only complaint is that I didn't receive any communication from the moving company until 24 hours before the scheduled pick-up and delivery dates. I wasn't so concerned with the delivery, but for pick-up I was on an extremely tight schedule and I had very little room for trying to get packing and loading time re-scheduled if for some reason they didn't or couldn't show. Thankfully it all went exactly as scheduled. Getting a call back from a couple messages I left during the two months prior to my delivery date took awhile. Granted, they were not emergency items and it was a busy time of year, but we are talking well over a week and I had to call back again to talk to anyone. However, when I did get to talk to my coordinator she knew exactly what was happening with my move and had all the info I needed when asked for it. (I was trying to work out expenses for the move and needed to find out my actual weight for caclulating the transit and storage costs - which, by the way, came in well under the estimate.)

With the research I did prior to my move, I was anticipating around $10k for moving everything across the country (I have a lot of heavy items as well as breakables/glass artwork). My total came in at $8230.

I would highly recommend both Ace Relo in the Seattle, WA area and Security Relo & Storage in North Carolina (I worked with the Raleigh office, but my items were stored and delivered by the Charlotte location).
Last edited by amcoop on Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicMom

Re: Security Relo & Storage (Atlas Van Lines)

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:26 pm

Thank you for the review.

amcoop

Postby amcoop » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:27 pm

No problem! Sorry it took so long to get back to you all on this. :)

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:44 pm

It is rather common for movers to wait till about 24 hrs before your scheduled pickup dates to notify you of the actual pickup schedule.

This is very much common on shipments loading on a Monday, as there are a lot of things that can happen over a week-end that will make Monday pickups go awry... i.e. a shipment scheduled to deliver sat - sun but with problems (no one at the van line or mover on week-ends)

A lot of movers now have satellite tracking, and if you have your order number, can log onto their website and go into the shipment tracking, and it will tell you the scheduled dates, and even the drivers name..

Glad that you had a good moving experience otherwise...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

amcoop

Postby amcoop » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:31 pm

BigLee - Yes, I beleive you're right, in that being the common contact scenario, unfortunately that wasn't what was communicated to me when I was originally setting things up. However, being that everything went as promised otherwise, it wasn't a big deal in my book, just stressful. Had I been told that 24 hour notice was all I would get it would have helped a lot. And yes, Atlas does have online tracking, however to my knowledge it is only available after items have been loaded (at least I didn't have an actual order number until then) which didn't help with making sure the scheduled pick-up time was in the system properly.

Delivery scheduling wasn't a big issue for me because my items were being stored and in fact, thank goodness they were because the closing date on my home was pushed back about two weeks.

At any rate, I will definitely be calling Security Relo if and when I ever have to make a big move again!

Return to “Open Community”