my review of my recent move - GA to OH

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dukegaoh

my review of my recent move - GA to OH

Postby dukegaoh » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:03 pm

I used this site heavily in understanding how to move and wanted to post about my recent experience with moving. Sorry if it violates posting guidelines... but that page is no longer visible (http://www.movingscam.com/forum/guidelines.shtml is a dead link).

So based on reading the forums on this web site I got my three quotes and decided to go with AC White/Mayflower for my move from Atlanta GA to a small town in Ohio. I had a budget to move and they were just inside it with the bound estimate. The in-home walkthrough was thorough and informative. He was the only one to indicate that I would need a shuttle (smaller truck, then loaded onto a larger truck at a different site) due to narrow roadways and tight turns and included it in the estimate. I knew this was true because other full-size trucks always got stuck at some point in the weird driveway system. I set a date with them a few weeks later.

The loaders could have done a lot better. They did not show up on time and I had to call to find out what was happening. There were truck problems and while they were supposed to arrive by 9:30, they could not arrive until 1:30. They did not wrap the couch and they did not put the mattress in a box, as indicated in the written estimate (for which Mayflower refunded me later, so that turned out OK). They said that they would do these things in the transfer from the shuttle to the main truck. They finished about 95% of the stuff, took a 30 minute smoke break, then finished the remaining 5% in about 5 to 10 minutes, watsing more of my time. On other other hand, they were fairly careful with the rest of the items including in particular a very old desk.

The pickup was a Wednesday and the earliest drop-off was that Saturday. The driver indicated that he would call late Friday or Early Saturday to confirm a drop-off date, but I had to call him Sunday afternoon to find out what was going on... which was that he would be arriving Monday morning. Since the drop-off window was 3 to 13 days, I found this to be pretty good, but good thing that I called so that I was ready.

The unloaders were excellent. They moved more quickly and more carefully and it was literally about 95 degrees, so they were working extremely hard. The mattress came out unboxed and the couch came out unwrapped, even though the driver promised to wrap and box in the transfer to the big truck. They both had signs of dirt and scuffing. He even had the gall to later insist that it was boxed but that he threw the box away shortly before arriving. An obvious lie... I let it go because he signed off on all of the other damage that occurred. That damage was minimal: a TV stand and a bookcase both chipped off big chunks and he told me why that happened. I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not, but he definitely admitted to breaking them and signed the paperwork to that effect. I don't know what his hangup was about the mattress... he admitted to damage on everything else.

Upon unpacking the boxes I found everything made it intact (including more than 10 glass vases and two full sets of dinnerware) except for a glass vase and one large serving bowl, both in boxes marked "fragile" that were clearly crushed. Since I was already claiming damage on the mattress, couch, TV stand, and bookcase, I claimed these as well. I didn't figure I'd get money for them, but lo and behold, I was refunded for everything that I claimed (a check worth $450 arrived today, hence my post). The claim process was quite smooth, though it took a long time to execute (I submitted about July 25th and got a check about September 25th... I'd say that's pretty good). There was no back-and-forth or bickering or shenanigans. An agent came out, looked at everything, and I got money for everything that I claimed.

Summarizing... AC White/Mayflower did a great job on the in-home estimate and the claim process. The driver (who works for Mayflower and not for AC White) fell through on almost all accounts. I guess "your mileage may vary." Overall I'm happy: nothing got lost and everything that broke was replaced via a claim check. NOTE: I signed up for $0-deductible moving insurance for about $400, but I am not sure how that factored into the claim process. It was never mentioned.

Bottom Line: I would not necessarily recommend them, given the inexcusable driver situation. But you sure could do a lot worse :-)

MusicMom

Re: my review of my recent move - GA to OH

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:09 pm

This doesn't violate anything at all. We appreciate you coming back to tell us how your move went. We were recently talking about AC White, and now we have a review to point towards.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:11 am

Thanks for this very balanced review, which I'll add to my summary post linked to below. The report on the deficiencies of the van line driver fits with many such reports. The good local agent (A.C. White in this case) can't control the behavior of the driver. And this also fits with reports that it's hard to find good helpers in Atlanta. (Note that the driver probably chose the loading helpers and may not have paid them very well.)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

dukegaoh

Postby dukegaoh » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:35 pm

Diane wrote:(Note that the driver probably chose the loading helpers and may not have paid them very well.)

The driver specifically stated that he got whoever was available from AC White's listing. I have no idea about compensation. I don't think that the Atlanta-side loaders were necessarily careless... they just did not come prepared with a mattress box nor furniture wrap. Part of the problem (potentially) has to do with the fact that a shuttle came instead of the full truck... which might not have those items as a default. The shuttle was also was a United, not Mayflower, vehicle, but since AC White contracts for both, that did not concern me. Anyway, the driver's primary agent was located in Michigan, not Atlanta, so he might not have been very familiar with loaders down there. He also had never met the Ohio-side unloaders... but they were excellent.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:01 pm

If you see this, what Michigan agent was the driver associated with?

Return to “Open Community”