Move from CT to PA---Manchester Moving, Greene Moving????

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
movetopa

Move from CT to PA---Manchester Moving, Greene Moving????

Postby movetopa » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:31 pm

Hello. New to this forum but thank God it exists. :D

I'm moving from Manchester, CT to Lancaster County in PA and feeling very overwhelmed about selecting a mover for all of my property. I've been reading all of the posts and articles with great advice. But I still feel very distrustful of any company and terrified of a scam. I had one estimator tell me it was illegal to do an interstate move based upon a hourly charge vs. weight. Hmmm...

To date, I've had three, in-home estimates from the following companies:

1) Greene Moving and Storage
http://www.greenemovingandstorage.com/
5 Glen Road, Manchester, CT 06040 (Started in 1988)
ICC MC 218475 • PUC #C-1447
DOT License #370706
MC License #218475
Their quote was the cheapest and based on HOURS, not weight or cubic feet. Red flag for anyone? They are family owned and right in town, so that appeals to us. But I haven't seen any posts about this company. Anybody with experience using them? Of the three we interviewed, I liked them best.

2) Manchester Moving & Storage
615 Parker Street, Manchester, CT 06042 (Started in 1968)
I called the company to get the DOT and MC license numbers and was asked to call back tomorrow because no one in knew the numbers, not very confidence inspiring. Their quote was based upon pounds! I liked this rep the most because he had really good advice about how to pack, what to pack, etc. But I have seen a negative post about them already. Anybody have experience with them recently? How can I tell if they will hold our stuff hostage, particularly if the GNTE quote based on weight is bogus, as it seems with most movers these days.

3) Amodio/Agent for Mayflower
One Hartford Square, New Britain, CT 06052
I disliked the rep who came to give an estimate. He was a fast talker whose words didn't amount to much. Their quote was very high and I didn't like the idea of the service being brokered out to people we might not even know.

Thanks for any feedback.

MusicMom

Re: Move from CT to PA---Manchester Moving, Greene Moving???

Postby MusicMom » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:40 pm

The first company would be operating illegally, as CT to PA is an interstate move and must be based on weight and backed up with Certified Weight Tickets. Hours can only be charged for intrastate moves. They also, oddly, have only been licensed for a month. They had a license from 1989 to 1999, but it's been revoked for the last 7 years, and was reinstated on August 18. They've only got 2 trucks and drivers, which means they should really be staying close to home, not driving out of state. Thier website says they mostly work around CT, NYC, and MA, so it looks like they are just reaching for your move. Thank them and cross them off your list.

I'm not seeing an itnerstate license for Manchester, so unless they can supply you with their numbers, it doesn't matter how nice their estimator was. A GNTE based on the weight is perfectly normal, and legitimate. The "guaranteed" part that you are worried about being UN-guaranteed is ony an issue with bad movers that try to claim you brought more stuff than you told them about on the inventory. If their estimator walked through your house and got anything, they can't claim that. For your sake, I hope they have a license, since you seem very happy with them.

Amodio would not broker out the move, if anything, another agent for Mayflower may help out if needed, but it could be a self-haul with Amodio people all the way. You're not moving very far. Did they say if it would be or if it was going to Mayflower people? If you decide not to take them you may want to tell the saleman that his attitude turned you off.

movetopa

Postby movetopa » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:57 pm

Thanks MusicMom! Wow. Your comments and research are SO helpful.

When I called Greene this afternoon to ask for their DOT and MC numbers, the office manager complimented me on doing my homework. I pointedly asked her about the illegal nature of charging by the hour vs. the weight and she said it was not illegal. The facts you shared about their license was quite concerning too. Whew. Hopefully another possible scam or problem avoided.

I'll look into Manchester Moving further. At this point, Amodio is out. The Slick Salesman/Estimator blew the whole thing for me. I don't remember if he said their people would do the move or not; his style was very off-putting so I didn't really pay much attention because I knew I didn't want to work with them after the first few minutes.

I'm also considering Joyce and Clark & Reid now that I've looked at posts. Since ours is a job relocation and being paid for by out new employers, we can afford to use a move high-end mover that might give us the "white glove" treatment we'd like.

Thanks again and I'll contribute feedback as I get further into the process!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:03 pm

movetopa,

I agree with everything MM has said. I don't get a good feeling about Amodio based on what has been posted here, but I do agree with MM that they might self-haul the shipment since you're moving only 300 miles.

I can see that you want a self-haul where the driver that picks up your things is the driver that delivers. I agree with your decision to look into Joyce and Clark & Reid, both of which self-haul all their shipments. People seem to have liked the Joyce estimator, and see this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6998

Also, Moovers, Inc. at www.mooversinc.com could probably move you if you could get past the mental hurdle of not having them do an in-residence survey. They would rely on your surveys that have already been done by other companies. I am absolutely positive that they would do a great job for you because I know the people running the company. You might just look at their review thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655 - to see what you think.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

movetopa

Postby movetopa » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:12 pm

Thanks, Diane! I'm slowing picking up the language used in this industry and the "self-haul" is exactly what we want. Thanks also for the link to the breakdown of movers by state; what a FABULOUS resource, really just amazing. I'm a librarian and will tell everyone I know about this resource.

Thanks for the reference to Moovers.com too. We definitely need an in-home estimate because we have so many books and other hard-to-estimate items.

If I make contact with Joyce and/or Clark & Reid, I'll be back to post!!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:04 pm

OK, OK, techincally, if their published tarriff says they can charge by the hour for an interstate move, I guess they can, but from my own personal opinion, I would rather have an bill based on weight that was proven with a certified weight station, as per the usual federal interstate laws, than something saying "If we move slowly, we can bill you more".

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:05 pm

And Manchester IS licensed. I don't know why I couldn't find them before. DOT462491, since 1992. Since you're already happy with them, and they've geven you a weight-based GNTE estiamte, I'd say to keep them on your list and find another two or three movers to talk to. You're on the right track!

Return to “Open Community”