Alert: Nightmare with Betsy's Trans-Pack and A-Line Movers

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
Red

Alert: Nightmare with Betsy's Trans-Pack and A-Line Movers

Postby Red » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:03 pm

It was a nightmare to have my stuff moved from Chicago to Tampy by the broker Betsy’s Trans-Pack Inc (out of Chicago) who hired A-Line Movers (out of Indiana) to take care of the move. I would recommend staying away from both Betsy’s Trans-Pack Inc and A-Line Movers.

Normally I would never have used a broker cuz I have been warned against them, but Betsy Cameron came highly recommended by Pat MClaughlin at the Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association (IMAWA).

The crux of the matter is this: In two e-mails on two separate occasions I asked Betsy if she needed to know if an 18-wheeler could access the destination point. She responded to other things in the two e-mails, but not to the question about access. I therefore never got the access info to her since I assumed the movers would not be using an 18-wheeler truck.

Turns out the movers were using an 18-wheeler. As you can imagine, this caused no end of hassles. Full details are below, but in brief: I had to wait for days for my stuff, rent a smaller truck at the last minute, was rudely yelled at and threatened by Ron Nagle the owner of A-Line Movers, was never given a receipt for the move, and then was subject to highly unprofessional behavior on Betsy Cameron’s part: she refused to pay the additional cost for the truck rental, refused to acknowledge her oversight, implied I was greedy (asking for reimbursement for the truck rental) and called my place of work to find out how much they were reimbursing me for the move!

I would very strongly recommend staying away from Betsy’s Trans-Pack Inc in Chicago, and A-Line Movers in Indiana.

Here is a play-by-play of what went wrong during the move:

- 1. the movers showed up on August 4th, only to realize they could not access my place with an 18-wheeler truck. Nonetheless, they attempted to unload my stuff (with intention of carrying it for a block)

-2. the movers discovered, when they opened the truck, that my stuff had been mistakenly loaded first, before the big load they had to deliver elsewhere. They were unable to get to my stuff and so they said they would have to drop off the other load several hours away and return two days later with my stuff.

- 3. On August 5th I was told by the driver over the phone, that I would have to rent a truck for them to get the stuff to my door. I told him I could not do that, that they would have to take care of it and that they should speak with Betsy at Betsy’s Trans-Pack since she was in charge of all the arrangements

- 4. For a few hours I tried to reach Betsy by phone, but she was not answering. Granted, it was the week-end, so this is understandable

-5. Ron Nagle from A-Line movers, called me and ordered me to rent a truck immediately or he would ship my stuff back to Chicago right away. He was rude and pushy. He also refused to deal with Betsy when I told him he would have to make all arrangements directly through her. He insisted that I needed to sort this problem right away or my stuff was going back to Chicago.

- 6. I then spoke with the driver, Allan, told him I would rent the truck for him to pick up. He told me I'd have to drive the truck off the highway, several miles from where I was, to deliver it to him! I told him I could not drive a truck, but would make arrangements for him to pick up a truck at a place where there would be 18-wheeler access. He agreed. However, he told me I would have to pay for the truck rental, gas and an additional per hour fee for their time (at Ron Nagle’s insistence)

- 7. Betsy did finally call, about two hours after I tried to reach her. However, at that point I’d already made the necessary arrangements.

- 8. The movers arrived (finally!), did a great job of unloading my stuff, were very careful and efficient. Unfortunately, however, they forgot all the paperwork for the move. I had to hand over the check with no receipt for the transaction. This means I had no receipt to turn in to my workplace which was paying for part of the move.

Once the entire ordeal was over with, I asked Betsy to reimburse me the cost of the truck rental for $145.15 (luckily, Ron Nagle did not charge me per hour fees for the movers time). I asked that Betsy reimburse me this amount as a show of good faith for all the hassles I had to go through because of an oversight on her part—she never responded to my inquiry about whether or not she needed to know about 18-wheeler access. Betsy refused to cover the costs of the truck, saying it was incumbent upon me to provide the info.

In addition to refusal to cover these costs, Betsy was incredibly unprofessional. When I told her my work would not cover the cost of the truck rental, she called my place of employment to find out how much of my moving costs they would cover! As well, she sent me several e-mails accusing me essentially of trying to get a free move without incurring any costs—of being greedy. None of this seems relevant to the issue at hand: I went through several days of hell trying to get my stuff, and had to pay additional money to get my stuff because of an oversight on her part.

Diane

Re: Alert: Nightmare with Betsy's Trans-Pack and A-Line Move

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:27 pm

This kind of thing happens more often than one might think. See this thread for a description of a move with Hall-Lane (United) where the customer felt similarly wronged when there was an unexpected shuttle - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9648

Of course, Betsy should have asked you about access at destination or have picked up on your inquiry about it. But you probably would have gone ahead with the move even if you had known in advance that you would have to use (and pay for) a shuttle, right? A-Line doesn't seem to have overcharged you, all things considered. All in all, an unfortunate experience basically caused by poor communication and Ron Nagle then freaking out. I definitely feel that the driver should have found a shuttle truck for your shipment - you shouldn't have had to hunt one down, let alone be asked to drive it, for heaven's sake.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:19 am

Diane, I have to agree with everything you said. Let me add one other thing (if I may). It would be customary for Betsy to call Red's place of business to find out about the move allowance granted by the company for Red. One of the things we would always do was to work with the customer's employer to make sure the invoice for the move would not exceed this allowance so that the employee would not have to pay additional money out of pocket unless there was a scenario arising during the move that made such a situation impossible (an example would be something like the mover taking a plane 2-3 times between origin and destination and that the cost of the flights came from the move allowance). A shuttle at destination would not cause such a thing.

Betsy could handled the situation better with the shuttle, and the free move comment is also unwarranted; when Red sees his W-2 in January 2007, Red will notice it was not receive a free move. I think Ron Nagle's outburst is more problematic - he handled the situation rather poorly...

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:32 am

Thanks for the additional info, Jim. I think, if Betsy did accuse the customer of trying to get a free move (Red says "essentially" so maybe she didn't actually say that in so many words), she was probably referring to the shuttle part of the move, which cost less than $150.

I just don't think that anyone should rule out using Betsy's services or A-Line as a result of this report. Yes, Betsy made a mistake in not asking about access, but I don't think it was intentional, and my guess is that Red actually made out pretty well on the cost of the move as a whole. I believe that technically, A-Line could have charged Red for the labor involved in the shuttle part, but it didn't. A-Line has MC #325104 and it looks OK on www.safersys.org.

Red

Postby Red » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:22 am

Thank you for the comments Diane and Jim. I would like to emphasize that while having to pay extra money at the last minute for something that was not my fault was frustrating, that was nothing compared to the nightmare few days I spent trying to get my stuff!

This is why I would disagree with Jim and strongly caution anyone wanting to go with Betsy's Trans-Pack or with A-Line. You do not want to be in the situation I was in: new city, with no furniture for a week, your stuff finally arrives, and you are told that you will have to wait another two days because they packed the stuff the wrong way. Two days later they tell you you will have to rent a truck and drive it to them--keep in mind here that you are in a new city, don't know where anything is, let alone how to rent a truck or drive it to the destination they specify. Then you are yelled at by the owner of the company... then the person who is supposed to be taking care of all these details (Betsy) is MIA.

I spent almost two days on the phone trying to sort this mess out and panicking all the while worried that Ron Nagle would make good on his threat to have my stuff shipped back to Chicago.

This is not something I think anyone will want to go through. I would think twice before hiring A-Line or Betsy's Trans-Pack to do your move: a small mistake on their part could lead to days of misery for you. And my experience, unfortunately, shows that they will not take responsibility for their mistake, which will mean extra expenses for you (and I was lucky the amount was fairly low--but it may not be as low for you the next time this happens) and a lot of hassle at a time when you are going to be overwhelmed with so many things involved with a big state-to-state move.

Red

Postby Red » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:26 am

oh dear, sorry for the confusion, of course, I meant to say that I disagreed with Diane (not Jim) on the point that my experiences were not enough to discourage people from using Betsy's Trans-Pack and A-Line. Sorry for the mix-up.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:59 am

Thanks for this followup comment. I wasn't there and really shouldn't judge the situation. In my Superlist of movers I'll just report the bare bones of what happened and refer people to this thread so they can make up their own minds. I certainly agree that the move was botched, especially with regard to A-Line placing your things in the wrong spot to be unloaded first and asking you to find and drive a rental truck, which is outrageous. It sounds as if they were desperate because of the botched situation, but I don't think there was any sinister intent from the get-go.

Red

Postby Red » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:49 pm

Yes, absolutely, I don't think there was any malicious intent from the get-go. My concern is with how the problem was dealt with once it arose: dumped in my lap. With a big move something always goes wrong at the last minute. The test of a good moving company and a good broker is how they deal with this once it happens.

In this case, not very well. In fact, Betsy Cameron from Betsy's Trans-Pack was supposed to be dealing with A-Line directly--I was not supposed to have to deal with them. Unfortunately, this is not how things went.

Even after I straightened out the mess on my own, Betsy still wouldn't, as a gesture of recognition for her mistake and for the nightmare I went through, take any responsibility for the situation (she refused to pay the extra rental fee stating this was all my fault, and she told me I was just trying to get a free move).

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:40 pm

A person who used to be in the industry posted that pointing fingers at each other when things go wrong is characteristic of the moving business, and I guess that's what you ran up against. I notice that someone else complained that Betsy was rude to her.

Return to “Report A Scam”