Wonderful experience with OZ Moving from NYC to VA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bdNYC

Wonderful experience with OZ Moving from NYC to VA

Postby bdNYC » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:05 pm

Hello all,

When we decided to move, I really was scared about the whole 'moving company' process and all the horror stories I had heard. My wife and I seriously contemplated using a U-Haul and having friends help load/unload us in our move from NYC to N. Virginia. In the end, since my company was going to cover the costs of relocation, we decided to research some companies.

We decided to go with Oz Moving (based on just gut feelings) and I have to tell you, it was a great experience. They had an agent come to our apartment (4th floor walkup, Upper West Side) and she scoped out what we had. We also told her we had a 'storage location' (my parents basement in Westchester) that would have to be a stop as well. She took careful notes on all the fragile items/antiques, and told us we'd have a binding quote the next day. The quote was only about $75 more than some of the other companies we had called who gave us quotes on the phone without seeing our place. So, we decided to use Oz.

About 3 days before the move, they called to confirm all the times and addresses. On the day of the move, they showed up at 8:45am (15 minutes early) and the 4 men were simply phenomenal -- courteous, polite, diligent, and hard-working. They took about 3 1/2 hours to load the truck (about 45 minutes was spent moving the truck around due to street cleaning!). They then drove to my parents place and loaded up from there in about an hour. Avi, the 'foreman', took very special care to note any damage on any item before carefully wrapping it.

The next day, they arrived at our N. Virginia home (calling us 3 times to give us updates on their progress) at about 11am (an hour late, but they had to leave NYC at 5am!). They unloaded the truck in about 2 1/2 hours, taking *very* good care of all the walls, the wood floors, and the stairs. Every box made it to the correct room as we had labeled, and they put together all the furniture properly as well.

Overall, I'm so amazed as to how painless it was and how reasonably priced the move ended up being. I realize that different people can have different experiences with the same company, but our experience with Oz was simply great. I also know this may sound like a 'fake' review, but I'd be happy to contact anyone directly to give them my opinion. Just respond to this topic and I'll contact you directly.

MusicMom

Re: Wonderful experience with OZ Moving from NYC to VA

Postby MusicMom » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:55 pm

No, this doesn't sound like a "fake" review, you sound for real.

Some of our other comments on Oz mentioned that they seemed to use a lot of materials (boxes, tape, etc) and chaged heartily for them. Did you find this?

Do you mind me asking how much you paid, and for how much weight?

bdNYC

Postby bdNYC » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:22 pm

Hi --

We decided to pack ourselves, except for the pictures -- they charged us $80 to pack 12 pictures (including boxes). I don't recall how much our move weighed, but they billed us on an hour basis. They charged us $3250 total based on 4 men working to load us up on day 1 for 6 hours, then 12 hours travel time (including return), and 3 men on day 2 to unload us over 3 hours.

Hope this helps!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:36 pm

Can they bill you hourly if you're doing an interstate move? Does it depend on which tarriff they use or is it a federal regulation?

bdNYC

Postby bdNYC » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:03 pm

I don't know -- that's what they billed us on, however. They estiamted the total hours the move would take and charged us per man per hour (or travel time) for each segment.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:13 pm

Sorry, I should have directed that question to Diane, MM or another moving professional. :)

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:50 pm

bd, I'm sorry but there are things that don't make sense to me. If I may ask...

1. I understand how they billed you - it is in contradiction with their website which states that they charge by cubic feet? Did their quote include anything for additional valuation given the antiques you had to move?

(Farrah - yes, hourly rates are not legal for interstate moves; interstate moves are regulated and state that a mover can bill by weight :) or by cubic foot :evil: for an interstate move, but not by the hour).

2. How big was the place you moved from?? In other words, apartment, number of rooms, etc... please don't count bathrooms.

3. Did you provide a deposit to reserve the truck?

4. Did they reassemble your furniture?

5. What did the rep provide to you in writing - including pre-printed items?

I guess that's it...

bdNYC

Postby bdNYC » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:30 pm

Hi Jim --

I'll answer in as much detail as possible:

1 - Again, I didn't question them when they gave us the quote (it was in line with most of the other movers we got quotes from). I don't have the actual paperwork in front of me (it's in a box somewhere here!). Their quote didn't include any additional valuation -- and honestly, we only have 1 antique table. They did recommend we get separate insurance (they admitted that the 'generic' insurance they have wouldn't recoup any real loss). They recommended movinginsurance.com, but they definitely didn't push us toward any specific insurance company.

2 - Our place in NYC was about 750 sq feet -- 1 bedroom, 1 large living room, 1 small kitchen, and a dining area.

3 - We did put down $50 when we confirmed our move. That was taken off our final bill, of course

4 - They reassembled our bed, our crib, and 2 bookshelves.

5 - As mentioned, I don't have the actual quote. However, the rep did give us a very full packet of information, including some Oz 'promo' material (testimonials, etc) and separate booklets on Moving rights for a consumer and some other legal/consumer rights documents.

I'll look to see if I can find the quote so I can provide more detail.

Hope this helps!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Thank you for providing these answers.

Hopefully, you can see our concern over at least the hourly billing for an interstate move, which, as Jim said, is a no-no by federal laws. But, in the end, our goal is for a good move for the consumer, and you seem happy. I think we will have to continue to steer people away from OZ, but we won't forget about your good comments.

I'll let you and Jim talk...

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:09 am

Thanks bd, as MM said you had a good move so there's little to criticize. My concern was the cost in relation to what you had moved - given that everyone came within reason, I would probably estimate you had between 4,000 to 5,000 lbs. and seems consistent with the amount of time it took to pack and load the truck. I am also glad to hear you received the consumer documents required to be given to you under the law. I won't go much into movinginsurance.com except to say I'm glad nothing broke and you didn't sign up for the "insurance"; you would have been deeply disappointed either way.

I have concerns related to OZ, but you had a good move and it should be noted accordingly.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:07 pm

I agree with everything that MM and Jim have said. You had a good move BUT people shouldn't think that a longer-distance move booked with Oz would necessarily go as well. In a 2005 thread someone reported that Oz said they would use the highly dubious company Fragile Van Lines to move shipments to the West Coast - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3921 The complaints here about Fragile are serious.

In addition to charging by the hour for a move of this distance, which I too believe is illegal although not uncommon, I think Oz may have violated the hours of service regulations. You say the 3 men started in NYC at 5 am, reached VA at 11 am, and unloaded for 2-1/2 hours. If at that point they drove back to NYC starting around 2 pm, they would have reached home at 8 pm so their day would have gone from 5 am to 8 pm (15 hours). In fact, you yourself say this above.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”