Philadelphia to Austin, TX Move Report

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Philly Scott

Philadelphia to Austin, TX Move Report

Postby Philly Scott » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:05 pm

Hello all,
Just wanted to report on my August 2006 move from Philly to Austin. I know I'm late, but beyond the boxes, adjusting to a new job, house, new spreads of pollen in the air, etc. is tough business! I received binding, NTE estimates from three companies--Bayshore Transportation System, Inc. (Allied), American Way Moving Systems (Mayflower), and another major in the area (can't recall the name now). All three seemed fine. Bayshore was my 2nd runner up because they came in a little higher than American Way, but I would have felt totally fine going with them--the rep seemed professional and they gave me plenty of info and material (which my last mover didn't 4 years ago).

I ended up going with American Way Moving Systems. They showed up on time, and the driver was "Jarron" with Molloy Brothers (Mayflower agent in Long Island, I believe). The local helper was from King of Prussia and worked with American Way. Both were professional and did a hell of a job getting all of our stuff down the "historic" flights of stairs at out Philly apartment. I particularly liked seeing the driver spend about an hour after he "finished" loading the truck wrap all our stuff in blankets and carefully tape them up. This was after I had already given him a tip. He didn't have to do that, and I'm sure some drivers aren't as careful with other folks' stuff. Jarron was a good driver, and I'm glad our stuff ended up with him!

They gave me a 5 day delivery spread, and at day 4 they called and said they were running behind. If I remember correctly, they delivered on Sat (day 6)--a day late. The driver asked me via phone if this was ok, and after my last move, just getting my stuff back in one piece was ok, regardless of the date! So, one day after the spread--not ideal, but anyone that nows how rocky moving is would be fine if that's the worse thing that occured. They had to use a shuttle at the Austin end (which, they mentioned as a possibility earlier; I had them get an Austin rep to confirm what I suspected), and Jarron and one local loader unloaded our stuff. Not as heroic of an effort on this end, since there was an elevator, but they still did a great job getting all our stuff into the apartment. A few days after sorting through the stuff we confirmed that we received all of our boxes (counting and checking off got a bit hectic the day of), but two non-expensive pieces of office furtniture had one minor dent and one case of bent handles. Again, I'm fine if the worse that happens is some crappy file cabinet receives some battle scars!

All in all, I'd highly recommend American Way Moving and Storage (and Jarron from Molloy Bros, from what I saw). The not to exceed estimate worked fine, even though it turned out their estimator was under the actual wieght. They did a nice job with our stuff, and they were personable in the good way (those that have had bad experiences know the bottom-line meaning of this).

One funny note--when I was considering self-moving, I purchased one of those big inflatable-tire dollies at "Harbor Freight" for like $35. When the movers came and saw it there, they looked at it with some interest. I told them to feel free and use it, as it would be nice for someone to get some money's worth out of it. I also wouldn't mind those big tires protecting my landlord's old wooden staircase ("historic" in Philly means old as crap and run-down, easily damaged). They ended up using it at both ends, and it performed admirably (they also had and used their own dollies, of course). It's still alive and kicking.

Diane

Re: *Philadelphia to Austin, TX Move Report

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:45 pm

Was the dolly sort of like this?

Thanks for your detailed report, which I've added to my Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

DanielCunningham

Re: Philadelphia to Austin, TX Move Report

Postby DanielCunningham » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:19 am

American Way Mayflower is a great company owned by Robert Hughes - I worked for Bob for over 7 years myself - Glad to see that his teams are still doing a great job!

:D

This kind of feed back is certainly welcomed: To often we all only hear about the horror stories!

Philly Scott

Postby Philly Scott » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:18 pm

Yup, that's the big blue dolly that's now part of my balcony decor. I guess it may be useful sometime in the future!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:21 pm

Offer it to some local mover or a storage comapny for a small price.

Return to “Open Community”