UPDATE!! Moved from Long Island to SC with Hall-Lane

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
petejeep2000

UPDATE!! Moved from Long Island to SC with Hall-Lane

Postby petejeep2000 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:34 am

We moved on August 25th - 2006 from Huntington, NY to Greenville, SC.

I did a lot of research, and this website was a big help. Let me first say that I interviewed a few moving companies months prior to my move. The first interview was with Mayflower. I set up an appointment at 11:00am, and at 11:15...there was a no show. The guy never called to say he was going to be late - so right there...he had 1 strike against him. The sales person did a walk thru, and he concluded that the amount of weight added to around 7,000 pounds. They all say that their company is the best..and they all use a 'palm pilot' to enter in all their data. The next company was Bekins. This time the sales person was actually early, and he even called the night before to confirm the time. The guy did a quick walk thru, and he also concluded that the weight of all my stuff was around 7,000 pounds. Each price was different - not much different. The third sales person was from United Van Lines. His estimated weight of my stuff came in at 6,000 pounds, but his price was the lowest. I had some friends that actually used the same movers, and that exact same sales person about a month or two earlier then my move. So, I told the sales person, that I would base my decision on how well they moved my friends to Florida. I would get a general idea to see if the price that they were given and how well the move went. As I found out later, that I made the right decision my not going with United Van Lines. My friends who moved to Fla, said that the move was horrible, and that they should never have gone with them.

The last moving company I interviewed was Hall-Lane/United. The sales person went thru the house and estimated my weight of stuff to be around 10,000, and was the most expensive. I chose the last one. This is what I found out. Movers will UNDERESTIMATE your total weight, and in the end - your price will be low. If you actually look at the estimate invoice and re-calculate all your stuff....you will find that you will be missing items that are NOT on your invoice sheet. This is the same invoice sheet that the sales person goes from room to room and takes account of what you will be bringing with them. Let me say that again...The movers will UNDERESTIMATE your weight. In actuality, I had about 10,000 pounds of stuff.

Here is my suggestion: Write down everything the sales person promises you. The only problem I had with Hall-Lane in the beginning is that the sales person promised me 6 wardrobe boxes, and when it was time to GET the wardrobe boxes prior to the move - I was told that I had to pay for them. I said no way, and that is not what the sales person said..and I won my case. After all, I wrote everything down that he promised. Be very careful, Movers will try to convince you that they are doing you a favor and how lucky you are to have them. Also, get about 4-5 estimates and be honest. Tell each mover that you had another company their for an estimate. In every case - each mover was bad-mouth the other mover to get the sale. DONT wait a month or two before you move to start dealing with movers. Get them at your house about 4-5 months prior to your move. Also, write your name on each box so that your stuff doesn’t get lost. You may want to take pictures of valuables and don’t pack jewelry. I had each mover come back to my house for a second interview to see if their story changed. Some stories changed.

MY move went so GREAT that I would recommend Hall-Lane to everyone. The mover 'Ray' was also pretty good, and make sure you have soda and donuts for the guys. I was able to get the drivers name & cell phone so that I was in constant communication all the time. I estimated that the moving time was 5 days, and I was exactly correct. Remember - some driver’s don’t drive on Sundays, and ask if the driver will be with the truck, or will the truck be parked alone. On my second interview, the gas prices actually dropped in late August, so the gas price that I was originally quoted – got reduced. Remember to ask about that. Give the driver your cell phone, and another phone number - just in case they need to get a hold of you. The weighing.....WITNESS the weighing before and after thay have your stuff. You need to do this. Make sure you know when and when - this will ensure that your someone they don’t want to mess with. Be educated. Also giver the driver directions to where he needs to go. Dont depend on anyone else to supply that - you do that part.

Diane

Re: UPDATE!! Moved from Long Island to SC with Hall-Lane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:40 am

Thanks so much for this review, which I'll add to my Superlist linked to below. For those interested, this was the runup to your post - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8216

It's helpful if we can see who the actual agents were that you were dealing with. I am just guessing that Mayflower was Molloy, Bekins was Triple Crown Maffucci, and the first United agent was Nassau. Is that correct? Please confirm if you see this.

I think one reason that you had such a good experience was that Hall-Lane did a self-haul using its own truck and driver - much less possibility of damage and delay that way.

Thanks too for your good pointers. The only thing I would disagree with is your advice to get the estimators to your residence 4-5 months in advance of the move. Estimates are usually good for only 60 days so the estimator would be kind of wasting his time if he did that - he would have to come out twice. If you see this, tell me who your Hall-Lane estimator was so I can give him credit in the review.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

petejeep2000

Postby petejeep2000 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:13 pm

Yes Diane, you are correct on the moving companies, except for United in Nassau. It was the United in Suffolk. I did not mention any sales persons by name, but i will say that the sales person at Hall Lane was Alex Daflos. He did a good job. I also wanted to say that when dealing with moving companies - it's not going to be cheap process. You always get what you pay for....just be careful on who you dealing with.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:58 pm

OK, so the first United company was Liberty. I'll add this info plus the good report on Alex Daflos to your review.

Just a note that Liberty is reportedly the largest hauler for United from the NYC metro area. Largest doesn't necessarily mean that customers are most satisfied. The smaller agents can often provide better customer service. Our reviews show this.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”