Pittsburgh Moving Companies

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tendertush

Pittsburgh Moving Companies

Postby tendertush » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:47 pm

:?: Anyone ever had any problems with any of the following moving companies that I am considering?

South Hills Movers
Allegheny Valley Transfer Co. (Allied)
George Moving and Storage (North American)

Josh

Re: Pittsburgh Moving Companies

Postby Josh » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:21 pm

Tender,

I know South Hills is a big company in PA. I have met many people that have moved with them and I have never heard anything bad about them.

The other two are reputable van lines. I don't have personal experience with those specific agents though.

Josh

tendertush

Postby tendertush » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:55 pm

:) Thanks Josh.

Actually, I just heard that my boss used South Hills Movers and was happy with the experience.

Just in case anyone else is reading this and needing a mover in Pittsburgh, I have done a lot of research on these three companies and haven't found out anything negative yet. Currently in the process of getting references and trying to find testimonials from co-workers, neighbors, acquaintances or anyone who may have heard of or used them.

Will try to post any results I find.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:15 pm

Tush,

Please do so. Although we are asked primarily about interstate moves, we are trying to build up a database of all types of companies so that we can help people better. We would very much like to hear how your actual move goes. It would also be helpful if you can register for this site (it's simple and free) so that people coming along later can contact you after you're no longer following this messageboard. Thank you.

tendertush

Postby tendertush » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:39 am

Diane wrote:Although we are asked primarily about interstate moves, we are trying to build up a database of all types of companies so that we can help people better.

Diane,
This is a interstate move. Pennsylvania to Louisiana. Will be in touch. Moving in two weeks. Using South Hills Movers.

tendertush

Postby tendertush » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:28 pm

:D
All went well with South Hills Movers.

As planned they packed us on a Thursday, loaded us on a Friday and headed south.

We arrived in Louisiana on Sunday. The movers were scheduled to unload on Monday. They actually called us and were in town 20 minutes before us on Sunday. They said they would just meet us at the house and drop off our beds for us so we wouldn't have to get a hotel or sleep on the floor. They did that and even unloaded and hooked up our washer, dryer and fridge. Then, they came back the on Monday as planned and unloaded the rest. They arrived at 7:30am and were done by noon.

They packed our whole house in Pittsburgh in one day and did a great job. So far we haven't found anything broken or anything missing, but we are still unpacking. Lots of boxes still to go. Not too worried as so far everything has been packed very well.

The same guys who packed and loaded us in Pittsburgh were the ones who unloaded us in Lousiana which was nice because you already know them and know their style and vice-versa.

FYI: South Hills Movers is a national mover. You don't have to be moving from Pittsburgh. I didn't know that, but found out from the driver. So if you are looking, they did a great job for us.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:10 am

We're always so happy to hear about good experiences. I checked South Hills' record on safersys.org (their MC # is 72914) and everything looked great. Their driver out of service and vehicle out of service figures are well below the national average. The fact that the same crew stayed with your shipment throughout the move seems to me a major plus.

It would appear that South Hills is a company worthy of serious consideration, especially by people moving from Pennsylvania. If you would like to post the number of pounds you moved, the number of miles, and the cost, tendertush, it would give others a sense of what is a reasonable estimate by a reputable company.

Return to “Open Community”