Jackson Moving and Storage Naperville Chicago

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
chicago family

Jackson Moving and Storage Naperville Chicago

Postby chicago family » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:51 pm

I hired Jackson Moving and Storage of Naperville for a 600 mile move from Chicago this summer, and I would like the Movingscam community to be aware that this company is both dishonest and incompetent. I would not hire them to move a ham sandwich across the room.

1) They repeatedly lied about the delivery date. They gave us a typical delivery spread of dates; they promised to deliver our goods 5 to 7 days after pick-up. Up until the final date of the spread, they claimed that our goods would be arriving on schedule. On the final date, they admitted that our goods were still in their warehouse and had not even been assigned a driver. Our goods were delivered a full 24 days after they were picked up. The person who did our estimate and scheduled our move assured us that there was ample capacity in mid-month to complete our move. This was a lie. The contact person who handled our move once our goods were picked up later admitted that she knew that no driver had been assigned (therefore guaranteeing that our goods would not be delivered during the agreed upon spread) PRIOR to the FIRST day of the spread. Had we known, we could have packed for a full month, rather than a week. Jackson repeatedly and maliciously lied to us.

2) They sent an inadequate number of packers. While they arrived promptly at 9:30 am, they only finished at 8:30 pm. Since they had done a detailed estimate, they clearly knew in advance how much needed to be packed. While annoying, the main problem with the inadequate number of packers was:

3) The packers grew increasingly uncaring later in the day. They packed many items together that should not have been mixed, resulting in damage to our goods. They packed leaking bottles of kitchen fluids in the same box with original and expensive artwork on paper. They packed very heavy items in the same box with fragile wood items that were crushed. They generally showed utter disregard for our goods in their haste to leave late in the day. Goods packed in the morning were professionally packed. Those packed late in the day were treated badly.

This is a lousy moving company. Avoid them if possible.

farrah7031

Re: Jackson Moving and Storage Naperville Chicago

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:54 am

Their official name is Jackson Moving Services. They've only been licensed for interstate moves since Feb 2006.
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... =WOODRIDGE^HOLDINGS^INC&pv_pref_docket=MC548702&pv_usdot_no=1339357&pv_vpath=LIVIEW

Officially, they do have 30 days to deliver your goods. I totally agree that they should have given you a better estimate of delivery dates

Oh wait, they're an Allied moving company. That makes a difference. I think that most major van lines have in their contract that you will be compensated for late delivery, after a certain date and if you have a minimum amount of poundage. Does your contract say that?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:58 pm

chicago family wrote: They gave us a typical delivery spread of dates; they promised to deliver our goods 5 to 7 days after pick-up. Up until the final date of the spread, they claimed that our goods would be arriving on schedule. On the final date, they admitted that our goods were still in their warehouse and had not even been assigned a driver. Our goods were delivered a full 24 days after they were picked up. The person who did our estimate and scheduled our move assured us that there was ample capacity in mid-month to complete our move. This was a lie. The contact person who handled our move once our goods were picked up later admitted that she knew that no driver had been assigned (therefore guaranteeing that our goods would not be delivered during the agreed upon spread) PRIOR to the FIRST day of the spread. Had we known, we could have packed for a full month, rather than a week.

Well, to be fair, the move coordinator didn't know for sure that your things would be stranded in a warehouse for three weeks until they were already in the warehouse. She couldn't have told you that for sure prior to pickup. She could have warned you that it was a possibility, but if moving companies did that, they would very soon have no customers.

Jackson is a company with very high internal quality scores in the Allied rating system (currently 4.45 out of 5, "excellent"). Therefore I don't think it's a completely terrible company. However, in a minority of cases, shipments do get stuck in a warehouse for long periods with no driver during the summer. You happened to be one of the unlucky ones. Someone else posting here as "macd" was another. He moved with McCollister's (Mayflower). Another person it happened to a year ago was "Ophelia." She moved with Allen & Coles (North American). It happens with all van lines.

I don't know why it happened with your particular shipment but maybe the fact that it was going only 600 miles had something to do with it - maybe the money to be made wasn't attractive enough to the over-the-road driver. Maybe the discount was too high. Anyway, I'm really, really sorry that this happened to you, but the driver didn't work for Jackson Allied. He worked for some other company, and van line dispatch took charge of the move, and it turned into a big mess. The only way for consumers to be certain that they won't have this kind of delay is to move themselves using a rental truck or move with a freight company like ABF or Broadway Express. Or, if they don't want to or can't move themselves, they can choose a company like Moovers, Inc. or Delancey Street that self-hauls all loads - the driver and truck that pick up your shipment are the driver and truck that deliver it. Neither of them even HAS a warehouse, so they have no choice but to go direct.

As for the packing crew, I assume that you had a lot of packing if it took 11 hours. So it must have been an expensive move, and I don't blame you for being furious about the workers rushing at the end. Again, most moving companies today farm out this work to contract workers. Some crews are good and some are bad. You apparently got a bad one. Again, responsibility was divided. With Moovers, Inc. and Delancey, the drivers are the people doing the packing and loading - with occasional hired helpers if necessary. Your chances of avoiding damage and delay in a move are better if responsibility is not divided.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that the problems you experienced are system-wide and not limited to Jackson Allied. They are hazards of the way the van line-agent system is structured. Anyway, I've added your review to my Superlist of mover reviews linked to below. Thank you for posting it - and again, I'm sorry.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

chicago family

Postby chicago family » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:47 pm

In response to your points:
1) The packing crew was not sub-contracted. They were Jackson employees. I did not include any account of goods that were probably damaged by the truck crew that hauled the goods, since they are not affiliated with Jackson--only damage caused by poor and careless packing by Jackson employees themselves.

2) The move coordinator DID know before our goods were picked up that she did not have an assigned driver, and that without an assigned driver there was no way that they were going to meet the delivery window. While I understand that Jackson does not own or operate the Allied contractor trucks that actually haul the goods from place to place, I do believe that it is Jackson's responsibility to get a driver assigned to our move. They failed to do this, although I booked the move five months in advance. I find this to be unacceptable. I also know that the move coordinator had several other families in the same position PRIOR to when our goods were picked up: goods three weeks behind scheduled delivery. While this clearly reflects poorly on Allied's capacity ability to execute moves in the summer, it also reflects poorly on Jackson's ability to command capacity within the Allied system.

I stick by my review. I understand that Jackson was not entirely responsible for the delay. What I find profoundly unacceptable is NOT the delay, but that they lied to me about it. We should have been informed that they were unlikely to meet their delivery window, whether by three weeks or three days, since that was clear to them even before they picked up our goods. We then could have planned for this delay. Lying to customers is unethical and unprofessional, and I feel strongly that people should avoid Jackson for their moves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:05 pm

I just want to clarify that I am not in any way blaming you or questioning your account. I agree completely with your assessment of Jackson's performance. All I am saying is that it is a system-wide problem. Heck, people in the industry have come on here and on www.ReloRow.com and have admitted that their companies overbook during the summer and just hope for the best.

Frankly I don't know whether a booking/origin agent has a legal obligation to turn down a shipment if they know that they're unlikely to get a van line driver to haul it in a timely way. Hopefully someone will come on here to comment. Certainly, however, there would seem to be a moral obligation to do so.

Someone in the industry told me that the problem with the packing crews is that whereas in the past, there used to be crews of patient women who did nothing but packing, these days much less packing is done, partly because of the high cost. Therefore, many companies use less experienced people (usually men) who do other things besides packing most of the time, such as moving goods to and from the truck. According to my source, many of them don't know much about packing.

I noted in the Superlist that I am mystified by the discrepancy between the high quality scores for Jackson and the actual customer reports on the company, which are so-so or worse.

Palaimo

Postby Palaimo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:24 pm

I had a VERY similar experience with Jackson Moving Services, and I do NOT think this is a fluke. I am not sure how they have such a high reputation (their reputation is one of the reasons I chose to use Jackson Moving Services).

My move was from Chicago to San Diego, CA. I was quoted for pick up between the 11th and 14th of June, with delivery between the 20th and 30th of June. Just like the aforementioned move, I was not informed of any delays to my move until I called for a status update around the 28th of June and was told there was not yet an assigned driver. At that time I was promised delivery by the 8th of July. My shipment was not delivered by the 12th of July.

I tried to file a delay claim with Allied Van Lines but was told that since my shipment was below 3500 lbs I did not qualify for any claims.

While I know delays may happen, I really do not think that a 12 day delay on a 10 day delivery spread is reasonable.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:00 pm

small shipments get bumped for the larger, more profitable ones, in the summer.

Return to “Open Community”