Followup on Moving My Mother Long Island, NY to Georgia

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
movingmymom

Followup on Moving My Mother Long Island, NY to Georgia

Postby movingmymom » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:04 pm

Just wanted to give my follow-up on the small move for my mom from Long Island, NY to Savannah, Georgia.
In the end I decided to go with a local company in LI, named Maher Van Lines, mentioned on this site. They were FANTASTIC!!! Especially Pat who I spoke with often as the move date was not secure and I was worried I wouldn't get on their truck. I called him two days before the pick-up and it wasn't a problem. They do moves NY to Georgia.
He quoted me on the phone and gave price by weight and they really did stick with what the quote said and a great price.
They picked up on a Friday and my mom's stuff was there on the following Monday. They had to use a smaller truck to get her stuff before it went on the big truck and there was no charge for the shuttle.
Lastly, the driver Danny was also great and courteous.
Thanks Moving Scam for helping me through this process!

Diane

Re: Followup on Moving My Mother Long Island, NY to Georgia

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:43 pm

I'm glad that it worked out so well for you, especially because we get a lot of people asking about similar routes, and I'll add your review to my Superlist linked to below. "Glad to Help" (a person experienced with LI movers) was the one who recommended Maher and others. Hopefully he will see your post. If you see this, I would be interested in the price you paid. I remember that your mother had a very small shipment.

For those interested, here is the runup to this post - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10132
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:31 pm

The price was $600 for up to 1000 pounds(that was what we paid) and the other quote was $750 up to 1200 pounds. There were extras like insurance at 60 cents on the pound, but it was such a small move and nothing too valuable so we didn't take that.
Based on all the crazy quotes I got from all the different van lines this was excellent. And I didn't go with Maher just because of the good price, in fact, that it what worried me with the others, but I went with them because they seemed genuine.
A family run business with a long history. Nice personal website with photos of the drivers.
Thanks again!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:47 pm

You're welcome, and thanks for the additional information. It's amazing that Maher could do the move for that low a price. I also liked their website with all the photos of the people working at the company. I'll certainly keep them in mind for other people asking about similar routes.

Return to “Open Community”