ALERT - avoid White House Movers 2000 (NYC)

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
missporte

ALERT - avoid White House Movers 2000 (NYC)

Postby missporte » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:14 pm

:x I am pissed, below is my experience and please let me know if you have had ANY experience with company:

I believe that I was recently scammed by a moving company: White House Movers 2000, Inc located in Staten Island, NY.

I am lodging a complaint because I feel like I made a transaction with the moving company from hell.

1. Their original quote to me was $975 to include $200 for all packing/materials and $775 based on 1500 pounds for a move from ny to nc.

2. At the pick up, I was quoted $616 for packing and materials and $1012 based on supposedly 250 cubic feet and the foreman couldnt even explain to me how much they charge per cubic feet.

3. I requested to have the quote based on weight. The foreman told me the nearest weighing station to Bronx, NY (pickup location) was in NJ. When asked why couldnt he go to the Hunts Point/Bruckner Expwy in the Bronx weigh in station, he stated to me that they dont do weigh ins at that station. I have since learned that this was a blatant lie.

4. So, reluctantly, I accepted their final quote of $1628

5. To make matters worse, my household goods arrived unannounced on 11/04/06 at 6am. I was never notified and they just showed up to my doorstep in Chapel Hill, NC unannounced even though I originally requested delivery for 10/26/06.

6. On top of all this, my bookcase arrived literally broken into two pieces, my file cabinet dented/bent like someone ran into it with a mac truck, and some of my fine china arrived shattered to pieces.

Please help me because apparently, this company does not care about unsuspecting innocent people like myself.

BigLeeCalif

Re: White House Movers 2000, Inc

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:29 pm

Let me clarify something.. You said your initial quote was for weight...

How did that suddenly get changed to cubic feet?

It sounds to me like a classic case of bait and switch. This means they tell you one thing to get you to book, and once they have your goods, the story changes. But then if you want to see your goods again, you have to go along with whatever they claim you owe for.

And any scale that is classified as a public scale can do weights.

Did you move from the NY-NJ area to NC? If so that is an interstate move, and the attorney generals for both states should be notified.

What we need for you to do is give us the name of the company in full, any DOT and MC numbers they might have, so we can check their licensing and insurance.

Have they given you a claim form, or told you how to file a damage claim?
Remember one thing... Try to remain civil, professional, and polite when talking to them, even though you might be seething inside.

Don't tip your hand and let them know any of the legal avenues you might be pursuing.

Lastly, you didn't say when your goods were picked up, so we don't know if the Nov 4 delivery was way past the delivery spread.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

missporte

Postby missporte » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:47 pm

Hi !

Thank you for your prompt response:

Name of company: White House Movers 2000, Inc
USDOT#: 954332
ICC#MC408383

The pickup date was on: 9/28/06
Delivery date was: 11/04/06

I checked them out on BBB and they have two listings with BBB with different addresses and phone numbers:

1. WHITE HOUSE MOVERS 2000
151 Industrial Loop
Staten Island, NY 10309
Phone: (718) 317-8444

AND

2. WHITE HOUSE MOVERS 2000, INC.
1070 Rockland Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10314
Phone: (866) 344-6683

Thank you for your help and dont worry they have no idea that I filed a complaint with Movingscam.com

And also, on another website, I found complaints from others telling basically my story:

http://www.newyorkcity.com/people/NYCpe ... 7#comments

Again, thank you for your help!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Hi - I'm very sorry about what happened to you. It was the typical scam. I assume that your things were also in storage for a while because of the long delay between pickup and delivery (?).

Here is a thread summarizing what you can do to complain:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9256

Also, White House Movers has been discussed here before, but a long time ago. Search on the name in quotation marks and you will see the comments.

Return to “Report A Scam”