Moving from San Francisco to Central New Jersey

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
John Sab

Moving from San Francisco to Central New Jersey

Postby John Sab » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:53 pm

I am looking for a recomendation for a small move from San Francisco to Central New Jersey. I have what I think is about 1,500 lbs or less, my first quote was from allied, he says I have 1,900 lbs, his quote was$2,450.00. The guy overestimated on everything, was rude and insisted that I would have 30 boxes. Its more like 15 boxes. I do not think I can fit in a relocube due to a queen sized bed and oversized leather chair. Any suggestions? :?

Diane

Re: Moving from San Francisco to Central New Jersey

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:15 pm

Hi - I think that your things would probably fit into an ABF ReloCube. Look at this thread, which includes dimensions and a photo:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8921
If you go with ABF, be sure to protect your chair very well by covering it with cloth pads and possibly shrink wrap on top of the pads. The chair could be jounced around so you want to prevent rubbing.

So we can keep track, could you please post which Allied agent you are talking about--NorCal or Golden Gate--and the name of the sales rep, if possible.

Allied may have a minimum amount of weight that you have to pay for and that could be why the rep wasn't interested in narrowing down the weight. In the summer the minimum is often around 2100 pounds. Now, it may be less.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:53 pm

Well if the sales person was from Golden Gate they are located right up the street from Chipman in Concord. Their facility is so small Allied drivers go nuts to get in and out. The facility in Antioch is larger, but I can't see them sending a sales person from there to SF.

Nor Cal is the bigger Allied agent, with offices in Burlingame and San Leandro. It's a toss up which office sent the sales person. Nor-Cal mostly focuses on office moves, but will do household moves in the slow season.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

john sab

Postby john sab » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:40 pm

it was nor cal out of burlingame. i am considering a relocube, it looks like it will be almost half the price. :?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:46 pm

Measure your items and diagram how you're going to position them in the ReloCube. Normally the experts would recommend standing the queen mattress and box spring on end holding everything in just before you close the door to the cube. The box spring won't show indentations from any tiedown straps you may use but the mattress will, so that may influence how you position them.

Return to “Open Community”