Estimate On Relocation From Philly To Cary, NC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tbirds1500

Estimate On Relocation From Philly To Cary, NC

Postby tbirds1500 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:14 pm

I recently had a representative from Bayshore Moving of Delaware perform a walkthrough of my 1 bdr apartment for a move from Phila. PA to Cary NC. He estimated a gross weight of ~ 5100 lbs (seemed a little high) and I received an estimate of ~ $7000. I do have a couple pieces of furniture including an entertainment center and bedroom set that are solid oak. Also have a lot of books that will be packed and transported as part of the move. The estimate was for full pack but not the unpack. This seemed really high. Anyone also feel the same? The carrier is going to be Allied.

Diane

Re: Estimate On Relocation From Philly To Cary, NC

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:04 pm

Hi - they are a good company, from all reports. The reason that your estimate is so high is undoubtedly mainly because of the packing, which can easily add 30% to the cost of a move. Could you possibly pack most of the items yourself and have Bayshore pack only the fragile items? Books aren't that difficult to pack and you should have no damage as long as you pack the boxes solid (you should be able to sit on them if not stand on them). Fill all empty places with wadded up paper, and of course use smallish cartons to make them easier to lift.

Note: from hearing sad stories from people over the past few years, I've come to believe that lampshades are among the items most frequently damaged in a move. If you're especially attached to yours, you might want to have Bayshore pack them. Or, take a chance and if necessary replace them to get a fresh clean look in your new place. The old ones will come in handy as a guide to what size to buy.

I hope that Bayshore Allied is hauling your shipment using its own truck and driver. Is it? This is a pretty short distance and I would hope that it could. Otherwise, you might want to look at Sinclair (Mayflower).

The weight is actually fairly normal for a 1BR with heavy furniture and a lot of books.

tbirds1500

Postby tbirds1500 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:46 pm

Thanks for the help. Packing and containters will cost 1700. The transport cost is 4500. That's the number I thought may have been a bit high. I'm using Excel Moving and Storage from NC. They work with Bayshore in DE which does the walkthrough here in this area. As I understand it, I will have an Allied/Excel truck showing up at my place. I was impressed with how thorough the representative was and was impressed with the details he shared with me regarding the process and the move. Each time I've called Excel customer service, my relocation representative has been available for questions and to address my concerns. To me, they seem like a very good company to do business with. I don't mind paying this rate if it's a fair number and I know I will get quality service.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:54 pm

Hi again - obviously I'm not an expert but that quote (I assume around $5000 exclusive of packing) sounds OK to me although a little on the high side. Normally it costs about $1/pound to move goods coast to coast but your move is much shorter than that. You can go on the Allied website at www.allied.com and get a ballpark estimate by putting in your origin and destination zipcode and the size and date of the move. If it's much lower than your quote you could ask the Excel rep what the reason is. If you go with them, make sure to get a TPG quote with GRR (Total Price Guarantee with Guaranteed Rate Reduction). This is the equivalent of a Guaranteed Not to Exceed estimate, so that your cost goes down if your weight is less than the estimate.

I've been told good things about Excel. Could you post the name of your sales rep or move coordinator there so I can keep track? Thanks.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

tbirds1500

Postby tbirds1500 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:09 am

I took a look at the Allied site and got a ballpark quote of ~ $3400 for a 1 bdr, heavy load, full pack. That's about 1/2 of the estimate. My Excel rep is Sarah. Carpenter. She's good. I'll get her on the phone and have her explain the difference between the ballpark and the detailed estimates.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:30 am

I just thought of something that I read here a long time ago. A professor in the Oakland, CA area posting as "Chuck" was moving and Whalen (Allied) had the account with his university. But since Whalen was in the NYC area, they had another Allied agent near Oakland do the estimate. It came in EXTREMELY high, to the point that Chuck was going to report Whalen to his university for price-gouging or whatever. But one of our volunteers (Michael) stepped in to say that when one agent of a van line is doing an estimate for another agent, often they estimate very high because otherwise, if the actual weight is higher than the estimate, they have to pay a penalty to the agent that's actually doing the move. Something like this could be going on in your case.

Whatever is going on, you can see that you really, really need that GRR feature in case your weight comes in less.

Personally, if I were you I would get at least one other quote for comparison purposes.

moverjim

Postby moverjim » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:59 am

Personally, if I were you I would get at least one other quote for comparison purposes.

Take Diane's advice. Without seeing the entire estimate it might be high or possibly very competitive. You'll know when you get a second or third opinion.
If your mover is using a contract in place already, the discount rates set years ago may not be as competitive today's discounts..[/quote]

tbirds1500

Postby tbirds1500 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:33 am

Thanks for all the help here. I am waiting for a quote from Grabel Van Lines. They also did a walkthough last week. I believe the GRR option is available to me through Allied but I will ensure that this is so. I have not committed to any specific mover just yet. I'll post an update here once I have both estimates and more facts.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:46 pm

You might be interested in this very positive review just posted of a move with Sinclair - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9273 I notice that Bayshore also gave THAT person a very high estimate. We may be seeing a pattern here.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:50 am

Since your coming to Cary, NC, I am assuming your talking to Excel Allied, here in Raleigh? They were just voted Allieds agent of the year, as reported to me from a friend that works there. I am not a big fan of Graebel, locally here in Raleigh. I would suggest getting a quote from a United agent if possible and ask them to utilize Armstrong Relocation here in Raleigh as the destination agent.

You can also contact Armstrong here in Raleigh and ask them to provide a quote for you. In that case they will contact the local agent to call you and set up a survey on their behalf.

Another reason your quote could be so hi is the lack of discount that the agent is giving you. Most discounts will range from 55-65% in your particular case. That first price you recieved seems high to me, but it sounds more like a low discount then anything else. Did the quote include valuation?

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

tbirds1500

Postby tbirds1500 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:04 pm

I am using Excel Allied for the move. The rate I got from Grabel was about 4k higher then Excel. They estimated the weight at 6100 lbs which was very high. Allied did a much more thorough job during the walkthrough and estimated 5100 lbs. The rates I was quoted did not include the discount. The actual rates following the discount are $2900 - Allied, $4700 - Grabel. With Allied, I do have a 'not to exceed' contract and will receive the GRR if the weight comes in lower then what is estimated and I suspect it will. Excel seems like a very good company to do business with and I am pleased, thus far, with their service.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:27 pm

tbirds1500 wrote:With Allied, I do have a 'not to exceed' contract and will receive the GRR if the weight comes in lower then what is estimated and I suspect it will.

Good choice. Just a small correction: a TPG quote with GRR is in fact the equivalent of a "not to exceed" contract and that's a GOOD thing.

I'm puzzled about why Excel would have initially have given you a quote with no discount applied. I've never heard of doing that as I would think it would frighten away customers (as it almost did here).

tbirds1500

Postby tbirds1500 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:25 am

Diane,

That's my bad. The discount was applied on the original estimate but I detailed on the full, non-discounted rate because I didn't realize that most, if not all, of the movers provided discounts. This is a new process for me. Last time I moved, I had no furniture, and was able to transport all my belongings in two cars. Sorry for the confusion. You have been most helpful. I'll post again once I reach the next step in the process which is the actual pickup and delivery.

Me/Michael

Postby Me/Michael » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:35 am

The TPG is a commission driven tariff, from my understanding. So the sales people that I have seen use it will work everything out on paper then apply everything to their hand held and print out the quote without the discount shown.

The point is not to get scammed and your not going to with this company.

Diane

Re: *Estimate On Relocation From Philly To Cary, NC

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:23 pm

:arrow: Point of clarification here (so I can give everybody proper credit in my Superlist).

For this move, it appears that Bayshore is the origin agent since they did the walkthrough and presumably will do any packing and loading required.

Is Excel the booking agent? I know it is the hauling and destination agent, but is it also the booking agent? Because the OP is working with Sarah Carpenter as his move coordinator, I assume that it must be something more than just the hauler.

Also, I haven't been able to confirm on the Internet that Excel is in fact Allied's Agent of the Year - if someone could post the reference I would appreciate it, so I can quote it in the Superlist.

Return to “Open Community”