ShipSmart for a small move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
KLL

ShipSmart for a small move

Postby KLL » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:51 pm

I'm trying to arrange to move one set of bedroom furniture, bedframe, dresser, chest of drawers, nightstand and a collection of boxes. I've contacted numerous movers, using yellow pages and internet, and gotten a wide range of estimates. I'm moving from KS to MD, and since my starting point is a smaller market it does seem to affect my choices somewhat.

It looks like my best bet (not my lowest price but that was a 250 cu ft estimate so I'm avoiding them) is Ship Smart. Since this is a small move and it's not time sensitive, it looks promising.

Is there anything I should be considered about here before I enter into a contract?

Diane

Re: ShipSmart for a small move

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:06 pm

How much was your quote from ShipSmart, out of curiosity?

You might do almost as well going with a full-service mover since many have dropped their minimum weights. I think Atlas is only 1400 pounds now.

The problem with ShipSmart and similar companies (do a search to see what has been said) is that the cost often turns out to be 30-40% more after they get your goods in the moving company warehouse to be packaged. I don't really feel very enthusiastic about them.

Try calling Moovers, Inc. at www.mooversinc.com for a quote. You are actually near a major East-West interstate, which should be attractive to many companies.

KLL

Postby KLL » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:42 pm

Well, ShipSmart is around $900, compared with around $1500 for most full service movers. I tried to see if ABF or similar would be an option, but I really need assistance with loading. I can save some money with ShipSmart by not having a full service unloading, which I considering but haven't made a decision on.

I tried searching on this site for more information but didn't find anything. Can you recommend a search string?

I will contact Moovers and see what they say.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:39 pm

Hi - you can see a lot of comments on ShipSmart just by putting the name in the Searchbox above. If you say "Ship Smart" (two words) it has to be in quotation marks or a lot of junk comes up. Here is one long thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2547

My concern is that the $900 may turn into something like $1200 by the time everything is packaged and then you will be paying almost the same as you would with a much more convenient full-service mover. Also, if they leave the packaging on at destination, it is a royal pain to get rid of it because it will probably include wooden pallets. And be careful, because sometimes they will deliver only to the street outside your residence. They may just offload the truck and then drive away.

anonymous1

Postby anonymous1 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:20 pm

$900 does sound awful cheap for that much shipping through ShipSmart. I've done business with them in the past. A sofa alone shipping cross-country cost me over $300, as far as I remember. Does this price include all of the sharges for preparing the shipment for freight shipping? Is this the cost which includes home pickup and delivery, or would you have to bring the items to their warehouse?
I didn't know Atlas has a minumum weight of 1,400. I know that Allied has a minimum of 1,000 and have heard that another major mover (sadly don't remember who) also has a 1,000 pound weight minimum.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:25 pm

Most van lines that I know can take a 1000 lb shipment, but most agents won't book that, because at 1000 lbs, the agent is required to pick it up. There is no money in a 1000 agent pickup. The agents that do book will try to get it at a day certain load rate, which is a lot more than an agent pick up.

Most 1000 lb shipments are not allowed discounting either.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:25 am

Lee - this "day certain load rate" - is that what's going on in this other thread where the OP said that Apex wanted to charge her $300 extra to guarantee a pickup day? - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10506
I was a little suspicious of it, thinking that the shipment would just go back to the warehouse.

blue

Postby blue » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:29 pm

It probably will go back to the warehouse. The 'day certain loading' fee supplements the agent for performing the residential inventory, weigh and load for the linehaul driver (when he/she can't make a direct pickup). The normal van line fee to the agent for this service doesn't cover cost (not even close), so many agents try to recoup the cost by assessing this fee. Great if you can get it, but sometimes can leave you non-competitive (or is that 'not competitive'?).

Return to “Open Community”