Moving mid-Dec. and storing for a month in North Jersey (to Ohio)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving mid-Dec. and storing for a month in North Jersey (to Ohio)

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:48 am

Hi all,

Been reading for the better part of a month. I need to move out of my house by the mid of Dec. and store for a month until I close on my house in Ohio in mid-Jan. I've looked around for movers and got the usual crap from some shady characters (United Moving System - NJ; Reliance Relocation, etc..). A frienf of mine making a similar move chose Alpha Moving & Storage out of Jersey City, NJ. He said, so far, they acted very professionally, were upfront with prices, did in-house estimate, etc... Today will be the big test as they are moving him out today. I will follow up with him to see how they did. I also had an in-house estimate done by them and the rep that came to my home was very professional and took time to explain prices, items, packaging materials for different items (paintings, pictures, electronics, etc...) However, when I look on this site, they don't have the best reputation. I haven't seen any real bad reports over the past six months, but a few from last year and early this year. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them recently. I am also trying to get Peers (Dover, NJ) to do an in-house estimate, but they haven't returned my call yet. Any help for a reputable, interstate mover based out of NJ would be helpful, or any more info on Alpha and/or Peers. Thanks. -- The Salad

consumer advocate

Re: Moving mid-Dec. and storing for a month in North Jersey (to Ohio)

Postby consumer advocate » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:09 am

University Van Lines and Wade Odell Wade seem to be the two in New Jersey with the best reviews here. You can go to this thread (a superlist of movers' reviews) to see what's been said about movers in New Jersey.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 8&start=30

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:06 am

Now, I know that Alpha's President has come here numerous times to speak and has always been polite and informative, but I still don't think they should be used.

Alpha Moving mostly scares me because they were licensed from 1995 to October 1999, then not again until Feb 2005. However, they continued to move Interstate, because before they got their license back in Feb of '05, they had driver inspections in TN, MD, CA, MI, AR, WA, MT, and MA. And that's not counting the inspections that happened more than 3 years ago. They are not agents of a major van line, so any moves done out of state were under no authority.

The owner explained the situation, but still.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:07 am

I think Peers is more of a local mover, and if you need storage you would probably want to go with a van line agent as CA suggested.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

The Salad

Postby The Salad » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:00 pm

So, I got an estimate from Peers and it is about $1K over the estimate I got from Alpha. Peers says they do Interstate, just not often because they dont' have any return business (since they don't advertise out of state). Where as Alpha gave me a estimate for the whole move by poundage, Peers is going to charge me by the hour for the move into storage (they are about 10 minutes away from my house and have their own storage on site) and then charge me by pound for the trip from storage to Ohio.

Peers is $1K more but the reviews on here have been good, and they have a better track record than Alpha. The owner was the person that stopped by and gave me my estimate. The first thing he did was hand me the "Rights" pamphlet and talk to me about the difference between insurance and valuation.

My friend just had Alpha move him our to Ohio and he is currently waiting for his stuff (they take up to 7 business days -- I guess to try to get more than one move on the truck). I'm trying to wait for the final word from him on how his move went, but time is fleeting and I need to hire a mover ASAP. Any advice?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi - I personally would not use Alpha. Especially when storage is involved, you don't want to get involved with an iffy company like Alpha. Damage and loss can often occur in storage if the company isn't careful with your things.

I'm surprised that Peers would move you to Ohio but from reviews here I believe that they are a very good company. I checked and they have been properly licensed to do interstate moves for more than 10 years, with MC #81955. They are listed on safersys.org as having about 5 trucks and drivers. As of 11/06 they had no complaints with the BBB over the past 36 months. I think the extra $1000 would be money well spent for peace of mind. As I mentioned, you could also get a quote from University Van Lines to see how the cost would compare with Peers.

Whatever you decide, please come back to report so we can build up our database.

The Salad

Re: *Moving mid-Dec. and storing for a month in North Jersey (to Ohio)

Postby The Salad » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:22 pm

About University.... I read goog things on here about them, but then I checked out their website "http://www.universityvanlines.net/" It made me a little leary that their website is completely messed up. Maybe I will still have them come do an estimate but I'm not sure. Either way, I need to decide by Wednesday.

Also, with moving insurance, Peers said it's like $8.50 per $1K of estimated value on your items for replacment costs, or $6.50 per $1k for actual cash value. Does anyone know if these rates are competitive or of any good "goods in transit" insurance providers?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:40 pm

The Salad wrote:About University.... I read good things on here about them, but then I checked out their website "http://www.universityvanlines.net/" It made me a little leary that their website is completely messed up.

I have told, told, TOLD University that they need to get with it as far as their website goes. In this day and age nobody should have a website that looks like that. It doesn't have to look slick and commercial, with stock photos - in fact, I much prefer the opposite - but it shouldn't be screwed up.

To me, a good website is this one:- www.sheamoving.com. It was done by the owner's wife and that is her husband, their baby, and their cat in the photos. (They DO need to add their interstate license number, since they're now licensed for interstate moves.) She told me that she has some graphic arts training.

I also like All Star's site because it sounds just like the owner talking:- www.allstarnewyork.com. And the testimonials are REAL.

I think somebody could make a bundle by going to some of these small companies and offering to clean up their websites. The two auto transporters that have excellent reviews here - Coast to Coast Auto Transport and Golden Key Express - also need serious help with their websites, in my opinion.

Now I'll get off my soapbox. You just happened to hit a nerve. Actually I know that University is excellent despite its awful website.

About charging $8.50 per $1000 of coverage, I know that All Star charges $7.50, so I would say that Peers is in the ballpark. With All Star, there is a $500 deductible regardless of how much "insurance" or valuation coverage the customer buys. You might ask about deductibles.

The Salad

Postby The Salad » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:00 pm

Can anyone give me an estimate on what I've been told is about 8000 cubic feet or 56,000 lbs. from zip code 07866 to 44011. I'm trying to figure out how realistic the estimates I'm getting are.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:05 pm

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:06 pm

You can go to www.allied.com or www.navl.com and input your zipcodes, size of shipment, and date to get a ballpark estimate.

56,000 pounds?? The moving companies should be falling all over themselves to get that size move. No wonder Peers is interested! You could ask Moovers, Inc. for a quote for comparison on the transportation cost, although they can't provide storage and probably wouldn't be a realistic choice for you.

Alpha's President1

Postby Alpha's President1 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:19 pm

<removed advertisement>

Alpha's President1

Postby Alpha's President1 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:24 pm

Out of curiosity: Which portion of my posting did you regard as "Advertising"? For my future reference.

And also - why does making a reference to "www.allied.com or www.navl.com" not considered advertising where my post does fall under that catagory?

Thank you.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:36 pm

Mr Hadar, MovingScam.com cannot be used to solicit for business in any way. I'm sure your offer is appreciated, but let The Salad come to you (one of the stranger sentences I've uttered today).

The references to the above links were not intended to say "use those companies", but because those two sites have a ballpark estimation tool, which was exactly what the questioner had asked about. I know sometimes it can be tough for a moving company owner to know where the line is, but we'll make sure you don't go over. You professional advice is appreciated.

Alpha's President1

Postby Alpha's President1 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:54 pm

"[let The Salad come to you (one of the stranger sentences I've uttered today).]"

At the very least Music Mom, you have managed to bring a smile to my face tonight - not easily accomplished in our industry these days.

Anyhow, if 'the Salad' calls - I'm there!

Regards,
S.A Hadar [/quote]

Return to “Open Community”