My Dad's Moving - San Jose, Ca.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Pat

My Dad's Moving - San Jose, Ca.

Postby Pat » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:50 pm

Have an Estimate from this co. that is on par with 3 other estimates but can't seem to find out anything about them. Help!!!!

consumer advocate

Re: My Dad's Moving - San Jose, Ca.

Postby consumer advocate » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:29 pm

Can you give us their DOT number and address?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:40 pm

You need to go find this place and give them a visit.

I have lived in the Bay Area for 35 yrs and never heard of that company. I wonder if it's a take off on All My Sons....

Read the article How to Find A reputable mover.

Where are you moving from/to?
Get their ICC MC and DOT numbers

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:52 am

It has the look of an unlicensed company. Judging from the city website at www.thecityofsanjose.com, its name is My Dads Moving Assistants at 4351 Latimer Ave., San Jose, (408) 280-1801, but that's all I could find on it. The San Jose area is home to many disreputable moving companies such as Safari Moving and Camel Moving, so beware. If you have three estimates similar to the one from this outfit, they all may be scammers.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:56 pm

I will have to look into that Diane...

We do not have any offices on Zanker Road in San Jose....

Our offices in the Bay Area are Alameda, Concord, and Benicia.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:01 pm

You can simplify things... is there ANY reasonable justification for entrusting all your worldly posessions to a company that you have difficulty in locating?

'Nuff said.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:05 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:We do not have any offices on Zanker Road in San Jose....

Interesting, Lee. When I was researching Daddie-O's, I saw a "Chipman Moving Company" listed on www.bbb.org at that Zanker Road address and assumed it was a branch of your company. Maybe the scam thickens . . .

Pat

Postby Pat » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:35 pm

Thanks guys for your input. You have pretty much confirmed what I suspected. The owners name is Rick Lopez and the DOT # he gave me is 158112 and gets no response on Safersys.org.

In reading over your many pages of comments I also gather you don't think much of Mayflower. Does this include the San Jose branch with Piedmont Moving Systems as agents for them. We are moving to Oregon and I am having a terrible time trying to find someone well recommended

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:42 pm

Hey, Pat!

Our horror move last summer took us away from Portland. At the last minute, when we were realizing the our movers were no good (but yet still stuck with them, shoot us now), we were desperately calling other companies for "emergency moves". We cold-called the United agent out of the Portland phone book, and they were very nice to us, were willing to come out within the hour and arrange an over-the-weekend hold of our stuff to move in three days. Maybe you could try them. I'm sure Josh can tell us what the exact name of that particular agent is.

Josh

Postby Josh » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:25 pm

Mom and Pat,

There are many good agents out there that will do what we did. I would suggest contacting local agents of Atlas, northAmerican, Stevens, and United of where you live now. They should all be able to send out an estimator to give you a free estimate.

Once you have that, come back and we will critique them for you.

Hope that helps!

Josh
"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad."
-Theodore Roosevelt

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:10 pm

Diane, to answer your question about that Zanker Road office....

I checked with John Chipman, and he was amazed that Chipman is still showing a presence in San Jose....

Apparently that office was closed 6 or 7 years ago, due to a proliferation of other United agents in the San Jose area.

To answer Pat's question, there is nothing wrong with Piedmont. I deal with them daily... They do a great deal of our inbound electronics orders.

Lee

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:28 pm

Yes, I just called the number listed on the BBB website for Chipman's Zanker Road location (408-436-6500) and the lady who answered told me that the location had been closed down years ago. She said that the phone number is still listed but all calls are forwarded to Chipman Alameda.

Hey, that's what the scammers do, isn't it? Maintain phone numbers where they really aren't, to get people's trust, and then have the calls forwarded to some central location? Just kidding, BigLee! But someone had to make a conscious decision to keep the BBB listing active for that location, and to keep the phone listing alive as well.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:49 pm

It isn't uncommon for Agencies to have phone numbers in areas where they do not physically have an office, or an office is closed.

It is easier and more cost effective to maintain a phone line, than staff an office. And since the San Jose moves would be booked from Alameda, it would probably be prudent to keep the BBB listing, since consumers would want to know if we had a bad record.

But if you check our other locations, we all have independent numbers and belong to the local BBB in each city.

Lee

Pat

Postby Pat » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:49 pm

Back to Josh - 3/15/04 - It took a while but here are the Estimates etc.

ATLAS(Agent - Ace relocation Systems) - weight 8806 charge $3373.82 before Replacement ins Assured Price Protection - their version of Guaranteed not to Exceed. BBB shows them as OK and their DOT #125550 checks out. However - had to call back to get the ??Guaranteed not to Exceed and an inventory which was sloppy and not complete. One other thing that put me off - When I ask about payment he told me I had to pay the driver before they unloaded the truck !!! IT WAS THE LAW!!! I was under the impression this was stricktly a Co. policy thing. Could find nothing bad on your web sight or on Moversadvocate.

STEVENS(Agent - California Movers Express, Inc.) - weight 9721 - charge $3746.84 Inc. Rep. Ins. Pricing Option: Either/Or (Not to Exceed) Explanation given - An Either/or price will be the estimate or actual weight and actual ser. chgs, whichever is less etc. They check out OK on BBB with only 1 complaint, and their DOT #72029 checks out. The inventory only missed one item and payment is spelled out on the Estimate. The Estimator seemed to know what he was doing and didn't promise me anymore of the moon than any of the others. You have one horror story on your sight which also indicates Stevens is part of Bekins - I've known personally some Bekins people NO THANKS

NORTH AMERICAN VAN LINES(agent - Nevil Transportation Group) - Weight 10999 - Charge $3332. Ins not inc. Not to exceed. This Van Line has several complaints on BBB, and the DOT#mc107012 won't come up. The Estimator didn't see what the problem was - as far as he was concerned the ICC# was the important one. The inventory was complete. The guy was very sincere and personable and promised the same moon. BUT - this co. has a very irrate customer on Moversadvocate as I'm sure you know.

Had already gotten an Estimate from United but have illiminated several items so it really is no longer valid. The agent was McCollisters and the service was the same as the rest of the big co's. At that time I also had Pacific Storage agents for Bekins - Piedmont agents for Mayflower - and My Dad's Moving on referal from our Real Estate agent who had used him and liked him.

Moving ourselves is not an Option. I feel like I've been thrown in a pool with a bunch of sharks and now which shark do I pick to eat me. BigLee do you come to Los Gatos?????

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:05 pm

Pat, I looked on the old Aaron's Moving thread, and I see that you're moving from San Jose, CA, to Brookings, OR. I'm just noting this to re-orient the people who I'm sure will jump in to respond to you.

With regard to the Stevens agency, a college professor posting here as "Chuck" was VERY satisfied with California Movers Express, and he recorded his research on various companies before the move step-by-step, as you'll see if you search on his name as author. There are two main threads, one with almost 100 posts on it. I'm sure that if you PM him, he would give you even more details if you need them. He was moving from the Bay area to Seattle. (You have to register for this site to be able to send and receive private messages, but it's simple and free.)

I'm not aware of a connection between Stevens and Bekins, but I'm sure that others will comment. "Squeakin'" Bekins isn't held in very high esteem either in these parts or on www.epinions.com, where it's the lowest-rated major van line.

With regard to ruling out NAVL because of something (or rather some THINGS) posted on movingadvocateteam.com by an irate customer, some of us here feel that that particular person is a lunatic. Since you've read the posts, you can probably judge for yourself.
Last edited by Diane on Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Open Community”