Review: The Moving Connection @ MD

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dustball

Review: The Moving Connection @ MD

Postby dustball » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:45 pm

Grade: A-
Move: Fairfax, VA -> Mountain View, CA

They are an agent of North American Van Lines which I heard was reputable.

They were a little bit more expensive, but, according to the horror stories I read hear it sounds like it was worth it.

They also moved us on somewhat short notice.

The moving guys were nice, and they wrapped everything extremely well. Oh - Their sales pitch recommended I checked out their competitors by going to movingscam.com. Ha.

Only downside with working with them: We had a 4'x4' glass table top. Before the move, Milton strongly recommended a mirror box (of course). He said we could try to move it without the mirror box, but it would probably break and we'd have to sign a waiver for that one item. OK. On moving day, Vicki said they *couldn't* move it without the mirror box. Now it was too late to order a 4'x4' mirror box. So we left it in the trash. Not the end of the world, but it was obviously annoying to find out a different story from another person the day of the move.

But overall, I highly recommend them. I'm making this account just to review them, I will probably come back in a week to see if there are any questions but other then that probably won't come back soon. I mean, i certainly hope I don't need to move again any time soon!

Another N. American Van Line agent - Greater Gay North American - was responsible for unloading. No complaints with them either, though I can't offer a real review of them since they simply dropped off our stuff.

-B

MusicMom

Re: Review: The Moving Connection @ MD

Postby MusicMom » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:30 pm

Thanks for the review! This is not a company I'm familiar with, so I'll remember them for the future.

Just to make sure, this(although the website they list is not the right one) is the company you dealt with?

Concerning the table top, after speaking with Milton, it seems like you decided to try to move it without the recommended box?

How long did it take them to get from VA to CA?

dustball

Postby dustball » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:13 pm

MusicMom wrote:Just to make sure, this(although the website they list is not the right one) is the company you dealt with?

Yes - but their website is listed wrong. Should be www.themovingconnection.com. There is another company by the same name (New Jersey?) which has a horrible reputation.

Concerning the table top, after speaking with Milton, it seems like you decided to try to move it without the recommended box?

The intention, based on Milton's comments, we had planned to move it without the recommended box. We knew there was a high possibility of breakage, but we has planned to take the risk. Even a 10% chance of it not breaking is better then throwing it away.

How long did it take them to get from VA to CA?

12 days including 1 day for packing (we did full service). The delivery window was Dec 6 - Dec 16th and stuff arrived on the 9th.

-B

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:21 pm

Thanks for your review - I added it to the Superlist. I'm surprised that they wouldn't let you move the glass table top as long as you signed a waiver. It probably would have survived OK if it had been stood on end between a mattress and a box spring.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”