My estimates on Move from NJ to Virginia. Need help deciding!!! Come in!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Elletrod

My estimates on Move from NJ to Virginia. Need help deciding!!! Come in!

Postby Elletrod » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:36 pm

Here are the estimates I received from 6 out of 7 movers. The estimates are for my move from Edgewater, NJ to Fairfax, Virginia. There are in no particular order. I’ve included the estimator’s name and my overall impression on that individual. I’ve also included some, but not all, specifics from the estimates that I am a bit confused over. Can you experts look over these estimates and tell me what your opinion is. Thanks for all of your help. Once I decide on a mover and move, I will return with a complete review of my experience. I pray that it is a smooth one. I know it's a lot, but I appreciate the opinions you can give.

1 – Mayflower
Agent: Central Moving Systems (Bridgewater, NJ)
Estimator: Keith Haszto
Estimate: Not to Exceed Estimate of 7,000 lbs at $2,833.01
Overall Impression: VERY PROFESSIONAL! Keith was not the first mover to survey my place but he was the FIRST person to supply me with the Mover’s Rights and Responsibilities pamphlet. I was very pleased with that. I was waiting to see which mover was going to do that. Keith did. His Central Moving Systems packet was the best put together. The packet included references (which I called); employee survey/reviews for the drivers; items that shouldn’t be moved; insurance vs valuation descriptions…quite informative. Keith has also moved other people from my apartment complex and noted what kind of truck they’ll be using to enter a fairly small complex. Keith was very patient and provided me with a lot of moving tips. His estimate was the cheapest at the highest weight, is that red flag?
From the Estimate
Transportation Charges:
Svc Descripton: Transportation Cost (Line Haul)
Weight: 7000 Rate: $5,552.81 Rate Type:Flat Charge
Gross Charge: $5,552.81 Net Charge: $1,887.96
Total Discount Applied: $3,664.85
Transportation Sub-Total:$1,887.96
Accessorial Charges:
Svc Description: Origin Service Charge
Qty: 1 Weight:7000 Rate:$7.48 RateType:Per Cwt
Gross Charge:$523.60 Net Charge: $178.02
Svc Description: Destination Svc Charge
Qty: 1 Weight: 7000 Rate:$4.91 RateType: Per Cwt
Gross Charge: $343.70 Net Charge: $116.86
Total Discount Applied $572.42
Accessorial Charges: $294.88
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 – Allied
Agent: JD Carton & Sons (Parsippany, NJ)
Estimator: Steve McCann
Estimate: Guaranteed Price Pledge 5,796 lbs at a price of $3,099.55
Overall Impression: Steve was professional, polite and patient. He even helped me give another estimator who called directions to my apartment. He came equipped with a printer and a Palm to log everything all of my belongings in order to hot sync it to the office for quicker processing. Steve was the first person to return an estimate to me via email. Steve emailed me the estimate via his personal email. He claimed that his company had a virus in their computer system and was, therefore unable to send it through company email. (Not sure what to think about that.) Below you’ll find some elements of the estimate Steve sent me.

From Estimate:
SERVICE DESCRIPTION
AUXILIARY SERVICE / SHUTTLE
(Flat Charge Weight Based) @ $671.54

SELF-STORAGE / MINI-STORAGE DELIVERY
(Flat Charge Weight Based) @ $123.02

1st DAY STORAGE-IN-TRANSIT (per Cwt)
@ $521.64

EACH ADDITIONAL DAY STORAGE-IN-TRANSIT (per Cwt * per Day) @ $18.55/ day

DELIVERY OUT OF STORAGE-IN-TRANSIT (Flat Charge Weight Based)
@ $1,522.34

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 – JK Moving & Storage (Sterling, Virginia)
Agent: n/a
Estimator: Alan Berenstein (Paid to do the estimate for JK)
Estimate: Estimate does not clearly state if it’s a binding or not to exceed as I requested. But it’s on an estimated weight of 5,300lbs for a total of $3,400.35.
Overall Impression: By all accounts, Alan was probably the most unhelpful and abrupt, bordering on rude estimator I had. I asked him to give me a few minutes while I finished up with another estimator and he was clearly unhappy about it. He ran through my apartment quite quickly. He didn’t leave a card and when I asked him a question about the estimate, he said I should leave all the questions for the reps at JK. Again, Alan was hired by JK Moving to do my estimate. I spoke with Wendy Randall at JK. She set up the estimate and was she faxed me the quote. Wendy was pleasant on the phone.

From Estimate:
Charge Breakdown
Replacement value protection -$500 deductible 0 $26,500 at $108.00
Custom Packing(includes dishpacks, cartons and mirror cartons) at $644.33
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 – Moishe’s
Agent: n/a
Estimator: Avi Nathan
Estimate: Binding Estimate for 4809 lbs at a total of $3,469.00 Overall Impression: Avi was nice, but he only provided me with a card and did not give me the Rights and Responsibilities booklet.
FROM ESTIMATE:

LINE HAUL 4809 POUNDS $3701.00
ADD’L TRANS. (PER 100LB) ORIGIN $6.98 - DEST. $5.19 @$584.16
MATERIALS & PACKING @ $692.33
GOV’T FUEL SURCHARGES 8% @ $296.08
GOV’T WORKMEN’S COMPENSATION INS. 4% @ $148.04
SUBTOTAL $5421.61
LESS 36% DISCOUNT $3469.4
TOTAL BINDING PRICE: $3469.00
------------------------------------------------------------------

5 – ATLAS
AGENT: UNIVERSITY VAN LINES
Estimator: Mike Carolan
Estimate: # 1: Standard Estimate of 5300 lbs at a total of $3442.44 This estimate includes up to $30,000.00 Full Value Protection with no deductible. Transit time between pickup and delivery would be between 2-8 days. This estimate also includes a shuttle charge.

Estimate # 2: Not To Exceed Estimate of 5830 lbs at a total of $4394.04. This estimate includes Full Value Protection up to $30,000.00 with no deductible. This one includes next day (Saturday) delivery in Va.

Overall Impression: Mike was professional and informative. He gave a lot of great packing tips and said I did myself a disservice by booking so many estimators. He was right. At the end I only cnfused myself. So just get three estimates. His estimates came promptly. Mike gave me an informative packet explaining valuation. He's obviously been in this business for quite a long time. ..lots of experience. Which is a plus!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 – Allied
US DOT # 151755 - MC# 139328
Agent: Reliable Van & Storage (New Jersey 908 352 5300)
Estimator: Christian Ohm
Estimate: n/a

Overall Impression: Christian was late and bumped into another estimator (Mike Carolan of University Van Lines). I asked him to wait in the lobby for a few minutes, while Mike walked through my apartment. When Mike was leaving, a third estimator (Alan Berenstein) arrived. Christian didn’t want to do the walkthrough with another estimator there (Alan didn’t mind) and wanted to reschedule. So, I apologized (although Christian was late) and asked if the next day (Sat) was good for him. He said “Whatever is good for you” I replied and said “Ok, then tomorrow at 8am”. He said “Ok, see you then.” He gave me his card and an Allied Info packet. The next day Christian DID NOT show up. I called him on his cell phone about 3 times. The last time I blocked my number and he answered. He answered the phone, “This is Christian” and I said “Hello, Christian” and he replied “Yes, who is this?” And I replied “This is (My name)” After I said my name, he kept saying “Hello?, Hello?” as if he could not hear me (and I believe he could) and then he hung up. Although I had two Allied agents, I was leaning more toward Reliable. I understand his decision not to stay while another estimator was there, but the fact that he didn’t call me to first say he wasn’t planning on returning, nor did he return any of my calls gave a bad taste in my mouth. I called the office this morning (Monday, December 11) and spoke Christian. I asked him, what happened for Saturday and the only thing he could say was that something came up. I asked if he couldn’t call me to tell me that. His response was “I thought I called you, I guess I didn’t.” VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. Now this is not a negative rating against Reliable as a moving company but one against Christian. I’ve seen very high ratings for Reliable and because of Christian I had to unfortunately cross them off my list.
I called and spoke with Heather Gatta (spelling probably not correct), who says she is his supervisor and complained. She did apologize on his behalf.
"We are our worst critics...so listen and take heed!"

MusicMom

Re: My estimates on Move from NJ to Virginia. Need help deciding!!! Come in

Postby MusicMom » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:28 pm

Just from looking over these (and the names are not being considered, I'd say the same if she said Company Z, Company B, etc.), push lower or remove any movers that did not give you all the required-by-law paperwork, such as the Rights and Responsiblities book. Second, push lower or remove the two companies whose estimators could not treat you the way a client deserves. I can understand feeling territorial about running into other estimators (although I'm not sure why the third guy didn't wait in the lobby like the second one was asked to), but suck it up and deal with it, it's nothing personal. Ignoring your calls is absolutely offensive, and I'm glad his supervisor heard about it. Also, I believe someone else once said that JK does not to GNTE estimates.

OK, my (unprofessional) opinion is at first glance leaning towards the Mayflower rep. You have a Not To Exceed for a lower price, with a high weight. Most likely that weight is really bumped up to give themselves a cushion on the price, such as in case your load really weighed 6,000. You'd probably be lower in the end, given the weight estimates everyone else is coming up with, and pay less based on the actual weight of the shipment. This is, of course, assuming all the accessorial charges line up with the others. Also, the rep really impressed you; you speak highly of him.

One last thing: Compare all the inventory lists to see if some items were listed differently (higher/lower size & weight), left off, or counted twice. If many items are missing, your quote could change dramatically.

I bet Diane and the professionals will have some more advice for you, this was just my own personal thought. You're certainly on a much better path than two weeks ago, good work!

moverjim

Postby moverjim » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:59 pm

His estimate was the cheapest at the highest weight, is that red flag?

The reason his estimate is lower is the fact that he has NO VALUATION & NO SHUTTLE FEES on his estimate. Maybe his company will use a straight truck for this move. Make sure he clarifies these points.

As far as to whom you give your business, you'll have to sit down and figure what each of the estimates includes. You'll have to come to a decision of what services you want to have performed and what Valuation you want to place on your household goods.

You will then want to call the contenders and tell them the exact services you've decided upon and to come up with a final GNTE estimate.

Personally I would rule out Moishe's ( No Rights & Responsibilities booklet ) and Reliable ( because of the unprofessional actions of their salesman)

Good luck on your move.

Elletrod

Postby Elletrod » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:10 am

Thanks! MM
I'm only in the beginning stages and I stressed out to the max.
But this site has been invalulable to me in my quest. I don't want to get jipped and nor do I want my posessions destroyed...is that too much to ask. :cry:

I'll await other responses.
"We are our worst critics...so listen and take heed!"

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:14 am

is that too much to ask

No!

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:20 pm

What was the discount that Mayflower gave you off the tariff? Seems very very high, in which case, he bumped the weight to give you a high discount in hopes of getting a decent driver. If your weight does fall in the range of the 5300-5500 pounds, your going to have one pissed off driver, cause your discount carries over to that weight also.

Charges you should be looking at:

Transportation (Linehaul)
OTC (Origin Transportation Charges)
DTC (Dest. Trans Charges)

These three will give you your total transportation charges for the weight quoted minus your discount.

Valuation.
You want full coverage $0 deductible from everyone. You can always work backwards from there is you so chose after you have made your decision on a carrier.

Services.
Packing. Even if your doing your own packing, did they include the cost to pack and unpack your bed? Most shippers forget about this. You do not want your mattress and box spring wrapped in shrink wrap. You want them in a box.

Shuttle.
Being in an apartment, not all 18 wheelers can access apartment complexes and place the truck and the crew in a safe, close distance to the apt. Therefore a smaller truck is needed to load your goods, take them to the warehouse to load into a bigger truck.

All of them should also be quoting you for unknown destination services but this should not be included in your total cost but give you a figure should those services be needed and what it would cost. These include, shuttle at destination, storage for up to 30 days (to include delivery out).

In regards to JK and them hiring another agent to perform the survey. Keep in mind that JK is the booker. Not the local agent. The local agents job is to do the survey and provide that information back to JK. It is JK's business to make sure you are given all the proper material/information and answer any questions you might have. Generally what you run inot is a surveyor says one thing and the mover says another and then you have this he said, she said thing going on. But I think he should have answered your basic questions.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:34 pm

"Elle" asked me to comment. I would agree with the advice to rule out JK, Moishe's, and Reliable. The person doing the estimate for JK might have been getting only $50 (or even nothing) to do it, which is probably why he rushed madly through it. The Reliable rep acted like a spoiled child and a dishonest one at that, evading your phone calls and fibbing. Disappointing because I had previously thought Reliable was pretty good. I'll make a note of his behavior in my Superlist.

That leaves Central Moving Systems, Carton, and University.

1 – Mayflower - $2,833.01 Binding Not to Exceed [possibly doesn't include everything, though]
Agent: Central Moving Systems (Bridgewater, NJ)
Estimator: Keith Haszto
Estimate: Not to Exceed Estimate of 7,000 lbs at $2,833.01
COMMENTS: This doesn't seem to include any valuation charge. Also, what if a shuttle is needed? Will there be any charge for this? You need to clarify these two matters.

2 – Allied - $3,099.55 Binding [plus $671.54 if a shuttle is needed]
Agent: JD Carton & Sons (Parsippany, NJ)
Estimator: Steve McCann
Estimate: Guaranteed Price Pledge 5,796 lbs at a price of $3,099.55
COMMENTS: Same as above. Does this include a valuation charge? Will a shuttle be needed?

3 – Atlas - $3,442.44 Nonbinding [includes a shuttle and FVP valuation] or $4,394.04 Binding Not to Exceed [includes next-day delivery and FVP valuation]
Agent: University Van Lines
Estimator: Mike Carolan
Estimate: # 1: Standard [I assume this means Nonbinding] Estimate of 5300 lbs at a total of $3442.44 This estimate includes up to $30,000.00 Full Value Protection with no deductible. Transit time between pickup and delivery would be between 2-8 days. This estimate also includes a shuttle charge.

Estimate # 2: Not To Exceed Estimate of 5830 lbs at a total of $4394.04. This estimate includes Full Value Protection up to $30,000.00 with no deductible. This one includes next day (Saturday) delivery in Va.

As "moverjim" suggested, your estimates aren't actually that far apart when you consider that some of them don't include a shuttle and FVP valuation coverage, whereas University's does.

:arrow: One important question to ask all three is whether they are going to self-haul your shipment using their own truck and driver. My advice is to go only with a company that IS going to do this. Otherwise you may be exposing yourself to delay and damage. You are moving a relatively short distance and you should be able to get a self-haul.

It seems as if next-day delivery isn't that important to you since you are living without these items right now, so I personally wouldn't pay extra for that service with University . . . unless they are saying that that is the only way they would move your things using their own truck and driver. Then in that case it would be worth considering.

Just my opinion.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:58 pm

Elle,

I see that you just posted on another thread that if Central Moving Systems was going to add a valuation charge the total was then $3,124.01. You said that a shuttle charge was on the estimate as well but not added in. So, the price for Central (Mayflower) is rapidly approaching the charge for University Van Lines when these extras are included.

Be sure you are comparing apples with apples, and also, be certain that you're going to get a self-haul to Virginia.

Also, on the question whether it's fishy that the Carton rep wanted to use his personal email, all I can tell you is that I've been amazed by how many small moving companies can barely cope with computers. They're used to logging onto the van line system to register moves and that's about it sometimes.

Return to “Open Community”