Moving from Delaware to Portland, OR

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving from Delaware to Portland, OR

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:15 pm

So I am relocating and had my first moving estimate. The company is Bayshore Allied in Newark, DE. Great reputation.

I'll get to the point, but forgive the lack of details as I'm new to this. The quote was ~$6020.00 for 6200lbs from Wilmington, DE to Portland, OR, Allied packs everything, standard insurance (the free one), price guarantee but will be lower if the weight is lower.

I'm having 2 other estimates at the end of this week. I assume the $6020.00 guaranteed price is pretty good considering the distance and weight? Any thoughts for an inexperienced mover.

PS, moving it by ourselves is just too much. Plus we have cats and the car. We are going to drive the car w/ cats after the house is loaded and on its way.

MusicMom

Re: Moving from Delaware to Portland, OR

Postby MusicMom » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:37 pm

You're off to a great start, they DO have a good reputation.

price guarantee but will be lower if the weight is lower.

This sounds like you have Allied's version of a Guaranteed Not To Exceed estimate. There is a cap set, you will not be asked to pay more than that price, but if your load actually weighs less, you pay for that exact amount. This is the best option for both customers and movers.

You might want to consider purchasing higher valuation from them, with a zero deductible (the pro's suggested amount, since most claims are relatively small amounts that get swallowed up by deductibles), especially if you have good furniture or higher-value electronics. Anything packed by the movers is covered, anything previously packed by you is not covered by the valuation.

Now regarding driving to OR, do you know what route you're going to take? My husband and father drove a large UHaul towing a Corolla from VA to MI, then to Portland. Mostly of that was on Turnpikes, but they went north into Idaho and down from there, sticking to the lesser parts of the Rockies.

tedward

Postby tedward » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:56 pm

Thanks musicmom. I will get a 0 deductible insurance upgrade.

I assume the $6020 is a great price with the packing included? I just did a ballpark generated estimate on their website and it said ~$20k :shock:

When I use to drive tractor trailer out west to Oregon I would take I-76 from PA and take I-80 acroos the majority of the country, then hit I-84 through Idaho and Oregon. They keep the main roads pretty clear in winter. However there have beens times I've seen the interstates closed through Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho.

moverjim

Postby moverjim » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:10 am

I assume the $6020 is a great price with the packing included? I just did a ballpark generated estimate on their website and it said ~$20k

The $20K estimate is undiscounted. $6000 is about right for 6200#. You'll want to get two more estimates to see what others offer and compare weight estimates and total charges.

Best of luck

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:25 am

Just a note that to the best of my knowledge, the ballpark estimates on the www.allied.com and www.navl.com websites are discounted - otherwise they would certainly frighten all customers away. :lol: Something else may have come into play here.

I too think that your estimate is good for the weight, especially since it includes packing. Please do let us know how your move goes, especially if you use Bayshore, because we need to have more actual reviews of this company.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:39 am

I had to more estimates. I'll update the easy one first.

-Berry Van Lines (Bekins Agent) quoted me ~$4700. He gave me the GNTE 5k lbs, they would pack all the china, paintings, silverware, etc. I would pack books and clothes. He was baffled how Allied said I had ~6200lbs, as I am getting rid of alot of stuff and really only moving a 1 bedroom home with office. We are downsizing from a 3 bedroom home to a one bedroom loft.

-Wayne Moving and Storage (NA agent in west chester). The guy came and gave me an estimate. But unlike the other 2, he didn't have a PDA or computer to generate an estimate right then and there. So he said I'll email to you tomorrow. That was a week ago and still nothing. So I call the estimator and he says one of the ladys in the office has my quote, she has left me numerous voicemails and was trying to email it to me for the past week but no luck. I find this hard to believe, as I have no voicemails from them, and the email address I gave them is straight forward. I'm in customer service and this throws up warning flags...LIARS. Anyway, she said she is going to email it to me in 5 minutes and I made sure she had the correct email, which she did. That was an hour ago. I give up.

So it's between Berry and Bayshore Allied. My parents used Berry to move from Delaware to Sacramento, CA and were pleased. Roughly same weight for the same cost I was quoted. No curve balls, just the straight price. I do like Bayshore Allied's reputation though. I'll have to think about it over the holidays. Feel free to share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Ted

tedward

Postby tedward » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:41 am

^^^^That's me above (guest). I forgot to log in before I posted.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:36 pm

Hi - both Berry and Bayshore sound good. Which office of Berry are you dealing with and who is the sales rep?

Somehow I have the impression that Bayshore tends to give high estimates, although the reviews don't say this. Of course your cost would go down if your weight is less, but still you might feel more comfortable going with Berry.

I'll add your comments about Wayne (North American) to my Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

tedward

Postby tedward » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:43 pm

It is the Wilmington Office. The sales rep is "Mark." Nice guy.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Ted, I am confused. Were you dealing with the Baltimore office of Wayne Moving? I see that the corporate office is in West Chester, PA, but they have an office in Baltimore.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:16 pm

I've been dealing with the corporate office in West Chester. They are about 20 miles North of Wilmington. That is where the sales rep "Daryl" worked out of.

Return to “Open Community”