finally posting about my moving experience with Coleman American/Allied

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
atltopdx

finally posting about my moving experience with Coleman American/Allied

Postby atltopdx » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:33 am

I had my stuff moved from Atlanta, GA to Portland, OR and I am finally writing because I was waiting for come compensation issues to be worked out before I posted.

I used the Allied "small move" program because I had a small amount of stuff (1 BR apartment). I got an estimate for moving about 1,900 lbs of stuff, and I paid around $2700.00 initially for the move. My pick up was on time and the guys loading did an excellent job packing and were very courteous.

My stuff was picked up and I left to drive cross country....about four days into the drive, I got a phone call from the guy who did my estimate saying that there was a problem and that when they finally weighed my stuff, they realized that it weighed about twice as much as they had estimated. I was shocked, and after several discussions with the manager (Tom), it was sounding like I was going to have to pay a lot more money to get my stuff. After much stress and unpleasant conversations, they agreed that I could pay an additional couple hundred dollars and get my stuff. It was ridiculous, and I'm happy that I didn't have to pay double the price, but I should not have had to pay extra at all.

My delivery was several days late, and I requested compensation from Allied and received $175.00 for the lateness.

When my goods arrived, one box was entirely missing, and my speakers and an antique rocking chair were damaged. The rocking chair was repaired by Allied, and I was paid a small amount for the missing box and damaged speakers. I don't feel that I was compensated fairly for the damaged speakers, however I didn't know what further recourse I had, and frankly I was out of energy dealing with the moving stuff, so I let it go.

From reading about the experiences of others, it certainly could have been worse, but I would not use this company again in the future.

I hope this information is helpful to somebody.....

Michael

Re: finally posting about my moving experience with Coleman American/All

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:11 am

Thanks for the review. When you got your quote from Allied, did they not give you a TPG Price (Total Price Guarantee)??

Did they explain why your weight doubled? Did they show you the inventory at destination and did you get a chance to compare it to the one the sales person completed at the time of the survey?

I know your probably fed up with this move already, but your answers will help people in the past. Especially those that say Allied doesnt weight their trucks and never have issue's with their weights being over what was quoted.

Personally I dont care what programs people say they have in place that would not cause them to raise their cost on you after the fact (binding, not to exceed, total price guarantee), its the drivers call. The driver doesnt care what the sales person told you and he doesnt care to much what corporate or the agent said either. He wants to get paid for the job and weight he moves, period.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Re: finally posting about my moving experience with Coleman American/All

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi - I looked up your two prior threads and I see that you moved under Allied's "Small Move" program where a crate is built around the goods and they are transported by common carrier. You also had a "not to exceed" type quote from Coleman American (Allied):
atltopdx wrote:5/9/06 - Coleman American estimator came today -- he was very professional and nice, and he thought that I would qualify for Allied's "small move" program (for moves under 2,000 lbs). I was surprised b/c Bekins estimated that I had over 3,000 lbs, but I took another look at Bekins's estimate and there were things on the checklist that seemed like duplicate items to what I had. Anyway, I asked the Coleman agent what would happen if we arranged it as a "small move" but then when they picked up the actual weight was over 2000 lbs. He said that the "small move" arrangement would still be honored.

Here's what I'm wondering -- the "small move" program means that they put my stuff into a large crate and then they put it on one of their commercial trucks. It sounds a little like the ABF or Broadway type of moves, except they pack the container. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 8645#58645

Judging from what you say, you definitely should not have been charged more than the quoted amount of $2700, despite the fact that they said your weight was more than 2000 pounds.

Also, if your goods were properly crated, how is it that a box "disappeared"? It must have been stolen or lost in the Coleman American warehouse.

I recall that "I-95" (a road driver in the Northeast) posted that he didn't have much faith in this company, especially the drivers, who he said were spoiled by high-paying military moves and therefore greedy. Your experience seems to bear that judgment out. At best this company (or at least the Atlanta branch) seems incompetent; at worst, it was actually dishonest in quoting you a low price and then trying to raise it illegally. In 9/06 Coleman-American in Atlanta scored 4.21 out of 5 ("meets standards") in the Allied grading system - one of the lowest categories.

In retrospect, it probably would have been better to go with Moovers - I remember that they were one of your finalists.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Michael

Re: finally posting about my moving experience with Coleman American/Allied

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:57 am

High paying military moves??? Thats funny. The military are the greedest bastards you would want to work with. They use OLD OLD OLD rates.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:27 am

Well, both Archie White and Lee Williams have said that the military pays very well. "Rick" mentioned once that that such moves go at the equivalent of around a 35-40% discount. However, "IMP" told me that the military pays so poorly that things get damaged left and right as they are thrown into the warehouse by poorly-paid crews. So I am confused. Maybe they pay poorly for household moves but well for other types of military moves (?). Somebody please enlighten me.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:06 am

I know we used to clamor for military moves because of the high margin associated with the jobs; the tariff is different, but the pricing worked out for us to be something like a 42-45% discount off 400N on an interstate move. I understand there are apple/orange comparisons in trying to compare the 2 tariffs; I'm simply speaking from a gross margin perspective....
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Murphy

Postby Murphy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:43 pm

Here are the GBL charges on one of our most recent military moves

Weight: 24,520
Miles: 903

Line Haul: $ 12,946.56
Packing $ 5,972.90
13% Fuel Surcharge $ 1,683.05
Appliance Service $ 17.85
Extra Pickup $ 68.70

GBL Total $ 20,689.06

I billed my carrier for

15% Booking $ 1864.31
80% Packing $ 4634.97
80% appliance svc $ 14.28

Total $ 6513.56

weem1

Postby weem1 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:34 pm

While the military tariff rates are dated--in many outbound areas the charges are based on the tariff rate PLUS 20-40%. Also the military is charged for a full pack (material and labor) for every box on the inventory. That includes every owner-packed box as well. Figure in that the shipment will usually deliver to destination sit---quite a few even a pick up from storage ---equals lower labor cost.

Noone

Postby Noone » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:05 am

atltopdx wrote:When my goods arrived, one box was entirely missing, and my speakers and an antique rocking chair were damaged. The rocking chair was repaired by Allied, and I was paid a small amount for the missing box and damaged speakers. I don't feel that I was compensated fairly for the damaged speakers, however I didn't know what further recourse I had, and frankly I was out of energy dealing with the moving stuff, so I let it go.
I hope this information is helpful to somebody.....
]

If you did Replacement or Itemized insurance, you need to check the policy and consider the deductible. Forgetting the chair, the math would be the insured value of the missing box + the repair or replace value of the speakers (whichever is lower) - the deductible, within the limits of the policy (like High-Value items might need 3rd party verification). If it doesn't work out right, contact the insurance company (which may be a subsidiary of Allied, or the carrier itself). The math has to work out, even if you or the insurance company don't like it. Insurance laws are very strict, unlike interstate move laws.

I-95

Postby I-95 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:49 pm

I dont no about Michael but ask a driver if they would want to move a cod shipper or a military shipper from and to the same locations at the same time, and 98 out of 100 will choose the military. The other two did not want to fill out the additional 2 sheets of paper and have to inventory the serial numbers of the electronics.
Ask a salesperson/booker/oa/da if they would rather recieve a commision from a job paying .55 per cwt or $1.00 per cwt

Return to “Open Community”