Allied Van Lines- Jensen Relocation

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MeganHartman

Allied Van Lines- Jensen Relocation

Postby MeganHartman » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:42 pm

I hired Allied full service movers out of LA- Jensen Relocation. What a nightmare! They showed up fine, the in apartment quote was true to paper, they packed beautifully and were very timely and polite. However, in our move from CA to MD, the trailer's rear brakes caught fire and burned or damaged most of our belongings. We were supposed to receive our things no later than Sept. 19th. But due to the time it took to clean and o-zone our belongings, we did not receive our things until Oct. 6th. When our things did arrive, they did not bring our clothes. Aparently they were still at the dry cleaners, and then left on the loading dock and we finally received them Oct. 31st. The clothes smelled so bad, a cleaning service provided by Allied picked them up and spent another week cleaning them only to return them slightly less smelly. For the time we did not have our things, nearly a month, we were only allotted a $60 a day food allowance. We were able to purchase items we needed such as a sheet set, towels and some clothes from Target to get us through. We were offered a hotel allowance, but declined and stayed with family. It is now nearing Christmas and we still have not received our final settlement check for the damages which totalled over $15,000. We asked to have our money refuned several times and even spoke to several managers, but we were informed that it is against some sort of shipping law to refund what we paid to Allied to move us. We felt it was appropriate since there was a gross delay and most of our things were damaged or destroyed. Does anyone have any comments on this, or know anyting about said law? For now, we have disputed our credit card and if that does not work out in our favor, we will hire a lawyer.

BigLeeCalif

Re: Allied Van Lines- Jensen Relocation

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:25 pm

You can only recover the reasonable damages to your property, based on the valuation you obtained. For the mover to refund the entire cost of transportation amounts to a rebate, which is illegal.

The transportation, and the damage claim are two different issues. Since your claim is extensive, perhaps you should request arbitration with Allied.

Damages to vehicles during transit do occasionally happen, and it appears that they made a reasonable effort to restore/repair your goods.

Hopefully you obtained full value protection, as it would greatly enhance the amount you will recover on damage claims.

I would suggest contacting a transportation attorney, who might better advise you on your legal rights.

Unless the truck had failed several inspections, and the brakes were about to fail before your goods were loaded, I think it might be difficult to prove gross negligence unless witnesses saw the driver unsafely operating the vehicle.
Last edited by BigLeeCalif on Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:11 pm

Very sorry to hear about this, Megan. I know that Jensen is considered a good company. I agree with everything that Lee just said.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:53 am

The system (compressed air) on trailers is quite complex. Not only is the main braking system air but so is the redundant brake system and the suspension system. Add to that some of the mechanical pieces that can go wrong, it is a wonder that they last as long as they do. Believe me, the last thing as a driver you want is to have flames coming out of the trailer as you drive down the road.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:27 am

For those who might need to file a claim for damages and/or loss, remember that all charges on the freight bill have to be paid prior to any claim being processed.

As I stated above, the transportation and the claim are separate issues, and have to be treated as such. If there are items totally destroyed, then the reasonable portion of the transportation of those items might be reduced from the transportation charges, but it is in fact illegal to offer rebates of the transportation in full.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”