Narrowing down after estimates

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Calibound

Narrowing down after estimates

Postby Calibound » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:00 pm

I have been doing a lot of research on this site :) and have since received 4 in home estimates for my move from NYC to SF in late January. I have a one bedroom apartment and am not moving all of my furniture.

Was hoping for any feedback...

#1 Morgan Manhattan - Agent for United Van Lines
Est 5,500lbs
including limited packing and shuttle on both ends
GNTE = $6923

#2 Dahill Moving - Mayflower Agent
Est 4,500lbs
GNTE = $5305

#3 Collins Brothers - Atlas agent
Est 3,400 lbs
$4076 ( I don't have this in writing yet, but don't believe it is a GNTE)

#4 North American Van Lines (thru a local agent)
Est 3,777lbs
including limited packing and shuttle on NYC end only
$4528 (this is not a GNTE)

I also received a quote from Moovers, Inc.
They gave me a GNTE based on the first 2 in home estimates for 5000lbs. at $5144

I am currently leaning towards Dahill. They were the only ones to provide me with the rights and responsibilities booklet and overall seemed the most professional.
Moovers, Inc. seems great based on the glowing reports on here, but I may have some timing issues with them.

Anything else I should think about to make a final decision? So stressed about choosing well!

Diane

Re: Narrowing down after estimates

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:49 pm

I think Dahill would be a good choice if you can't go with Moovers. The advantage of Moovers is that your things would be picked up and delivered by the same truck, whereas with Dahill your things would be delivered by a driver and truck from Mayflower or United Van Lines. However, we haven't had many reports of problems with United/Mayflower drivers. The disadvantage of Moovers is that they have very few interstate trucks so they can't always accommodate people's schedules (as you know). Thanks for listing your quotes as I always wondered how Morgan Manhattan would quote on things. They are a very old company. It looks as if they estimate on the high side.

They [Dahill] were the only ones to provide me with the rights and responsibilities booklet

That's a sad commentary. These are van line agents who should know better.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:21 pm

Actually the same driver and truck that picks you up for either United, Mayflower, Atlas or North American, will be the same truck and driver at delivery.

I think Diane may have given the impression that you get a different truck and driver with any of the majors, which in 99% of the time you get the same driver and truck. the only difference being the crews that help load and unload the truck. the local agents at origin and destination will provide the driver with assistance if reuqested by the driver.

Personally I would have the other three companies quote you for the same weight as United, because he was your highest estimated weight, and see where they come in for the exact same services. Then go from there.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:13 pm

Michael I think she meant that Dahill wouldn't do a self-haul, but that it would be a Mayflower or United driver...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

moverjim

Postby moverjim » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:27 am

Shipments moving to the City of San Francisco will need a moving permit

The main number for San Francisco Police Department is 415-553-1805

You will be referred to the station that serves your neighborhood

Information is also available at www.sfgov.org/police

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:04 am

Not all neighborhoods in San Francisco require parking permits. However, I am curious to know which part of SF you will be moving into, as shuttles are also not required for all of the city...

I lived in the Bay Area 40 yrs, and have worked in SF as well.

If you do decide to go with Dahill, ask them to make Chipman Mayflower in Concord #2801 your destination agent, and not Vector in SF. Once you get your order number pm me with it, and I can check and tell you if you require parking permits and verify whether a shuttle is needed. And ask for Sheryl McGowan at 2801 #800 675-1007. She has a list of all the parking officers at SFPD, and can get you the numbers. It's easier if you could get the permits direct, or have a friend or relative do it for you, as the markup is about 15%.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:47 am

Biglee,

Just making sure people dont misunderstand what Diane was saying is all. I know what she was saying, but the novices may not.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Calibound

Postby Calibound » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:56 pm

Thanks for the input. I don't know for sure that I will need a shuttle in SF. I am going out to find an apartment in about 10 days, but decided to include it in the estimates just to know what the cost would be. I've been told that some of the areas where I am looking (Pacific Heights, Marina, Russian Hill) can be tricky and require a shuttle.
Since we will be picked up by a shuttle in NYC (assuming I go with Dahill) I presume it will be a different driver then the long haul driver for either Mayflower or United, correct?
Also, thanks BigLeeCalif for the advice on the local agent in SF.
Shouldn't my moving company be taking care of any required parking permits or is that my responsibility?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:16 pm

Yes, the Dahill shuttle driver will be different from the Mayflower/United long-haul driver. That's what I was trying to say. It doesn't mean that anything bad will happen. Often they can do a truck-to-truck transfer without the goods even touching the ground, and I assume that Dahill has good shuttle drivers because there have been no complaints posted here.

I think people are saying that you can save money if you get the parking permit yourself rather than having the moving company do it, but yes, I believe that it's the company's responsibility for a full-service move like yours. With a move with Broadway Express or ABF, the customer is responsible for finding a place for the truck to park.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Guest the reason I suggested 2801 and Sheryl is that we had many many shipments into SF requiring shuttles, and she has a very good relationship with SFPD, and sometimes she can get things done on short notice.

Since you don't yet have a place, it would probably not work to apply for a parking permit before you do. The cost of the permit depends on the location, and the amount of space needed to be blocked off.

Someone else on this forum posted that they were charged for more space than was actually needed.

I know the SFPD normally charges from $85 - $100 for the permits, but the movers pass along the markup to the tune of $120 - $150.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:14 pm

this site get funds from the major van lines companies

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:50 pm

Really? Which ones?

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:34 pm

You know… Allied Moving Systems, Sunrise, FL; Atlas Relocation, Fort Lauderdale, FL; Global Moving Network, Dania Beach, FL; Interstate Moving & Storage. Norcross, GA; North American Transportation, Denver, CO; and, of course, United World Van Lines out of Delray Beach, FL. :wink:

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:42 am

:lol:

Return to “Open Community”