Move from DE to Central NJ- UPDATED

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
allnin

Move from DE to Central NJ- UPDATED

Postby allnin » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:56 am

I had my three walkthroughs this morning. Two of the movers I picked from recommendations on this website (DE moving and storage and Bayshore Transportation), the third was one my husband picked out of the phone book (Washburn Moving LLC).

The reps from DE moving and Bayshore were the most professional and thorough, creating detailed lists and estimates for moving my 2 bedroom apartment. The Bayshore rep provided me with more information about how to avoid being scammed, plus he gave me the name of this website and www.movingadvocateteam.com. He even advised me to check out the offices and staff of the places I had received quotes from. Bayshore estimated the weight of my move at 3250lb, and quoted me a total guaranteed price of $1455.18. There are some possible additional charges listed below that come to approximately $1800. The rep from DE moving and storage estimated the weight of my items as 7500lb, with a total non-binding estimated cost of $2837.66.

The gentleman from Washburn moving was nice enough, but his estimate was suspiciously low at $850 (after a very brief walkthrough). Plus he wanted a deposit prior to the move. This is not required by the other movers. One red flag- he tried to tell me that the move distance was over 125 miles. I looked it up on yahoo maps and showed him that it was closer to 80 miles. Another was that he just gave me a basic move estimate form with just a quote- no reasoning behind the quote or itemization, etc.

So I'm leaning toward Bayshore, but just confused as to why their estimates of weight are so different.

I'm feeling overloaded with information right now. Any tips or advice as to where to go from here?
Last edited by allnin on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Re: Move from DE to Central NJ

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:23 pm

Hi - it is disconcerting that the weight estimates were so different. Bayshore's seems low for a 2BR and DE Moving's seems high. But . . . if you're pretty sure that you won't need the additional services listed by Bayshore, Bayshore seems like a better deal, and its reviews and comments here are more solid than DE Moving's. (Please tell the rep that the original www.movingadvocateteam.com site has been shut down and it now clicks over to a disreputable site called MovingSham.com which we think is run by Movex, a broker.)

It's always best to have a Binding or Binding Not to Exceed estimate rather than a Nonbinding estimate. Allied's TPG estimate is Binding, but if the initials GRR (Guaranteed Rate Reduction) are anywhere on the estimate, the Binding estimate is converted to a Binding Not to Exceed where your weight can go down if the weight is less than the estimate. I don't think this should be a deal-breaker but if you can get the rep to give you a TPG with GRR it would be even better.

Whatever you decide, please come back to report. Discard the third company. With very few exceptions, any company (other than in NYC) that asks for a deposit is dubious at best.

allnin

Re: *Move from DE to Central NJ

Postby allnin » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:17 pm

Thanks for the tips. I just wanted to add that none of the guys who came through gave me a copy of "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move". Hopefully it's just an oversight... I don't want to have to start over!

Diane

Re: *Move from DE to Central NJ

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:30 pm

I don't think it's a deal-breaker, but it IS disappointing that van line agents are not doing what they should. I don't know whether it's a question of cost, or what, but comments on this website indicate that many otherwise reputable companies are not handing out the booklets.

allnin

Re: *Move from DE to Central NJ- UDPATE

Postby allnin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:55 am

Well we moved on 1/20 with Bayshore, and I have to say we were EXTREMELY pleased! The movers were scheduled to show up between 8-9. They came at 7:30. They were very thorough, patient, polite, and professional. They were also very efficient and moved through the move at a good pace. The best thing is- nothing appears to have been damaged other than the piece of plastic that we use on the carpet under our rolling office chair.

I was a little worried as our moving consultant always seemed slightly unprepared when I called. Perhaps he is new to the company, but he was always extremely nice.

Plus the cost of the move was a great deal. I know this company has given costly estimates before. I think it helped that the company was aware I had been shopping around and I left the other companies' moving estimates sitting out when they came by to do the walkthrough. I would highly recommend these movers to anyone in the Delaware area.

Finally I can't thank you guys at movingscam.com enough. I don't think this move would have gone so smoothly without all of your great tips and advice. You guys rock!!!

Diane

Re: Move from DE to Central NJ- UPDATED

Postby Diane » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:06 pm

Thanks so much for your good review, which I've added to our Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”