Does anyone know anything about University Moving in Indianapolis?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
AJO

Does anyone know anything about University Moving in Indianapolis?

Postby AJO » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:35 pm

Hi! I'm thinking about using University Moving and Storage out of Indianapolis. They are a norhAmerican agent, seem very nice and gave me a great binding estimate for an out-of-state move. But after browsing through this website I don't think I'll be able to sleep until after the move... Has anyone heard anything about them? I would really appreciate any info... Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: Does anyone know anything about University Moving in Indianapolis?

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:47 pm

In business since 1997, a couple BBB complaints for a variety of reasons.

Have you scheduled an in-home estimate from them yet? When you do, pick two other companies to do the same, for comparison. Here is the link to movers in Indiana.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7601#57601

AJO

Postby AJO » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:58 pm

Thank you so much! Yes, I've scheduled an estimate with them and one other company. No one else answered.
We are completely torned between renting a truck (the contras being having to haul the car and the possibility of snow...) and hiring a mover. I personally would prefer to do it myself, but hubbie tends to disagree (of course he has the right, he'll be the one driving the truck...)

Ok, found their BBB report... They have 7 complaints within the last 36 months, is that a lot? I have no clue...

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:42 pm

It's not a lot, but there are many companies with 0 complaints.

I think I'm with your hubby on this one (not often I say that!). With the freak snowstorms lately, you may want to leave it to professionals if your budget can handle it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:04 pm

AJO,

Chances are that they will be OK. I've noticed that North American and Allied agents often come in with the lowest quotes in a given area, probably reflecting a need for business in the slow season. Most of the BBB complaints are about delivery issues, so you might want to make sure that their delivery date promise is realistic. For example, I don't know where you're moving to, but especially for small shipments, your goods might stay in the University warehouse for a while waiting for another shipment going that way.

The companies that look the best to me in the Indianapolis area, judging from reviews summarized on the Superlist linked to below, are A. Arnold and Planes. You might want to give one of those companies a call to see what they would quote.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

AJO

Postby AJO » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:28 pm

Thank you so much for all your advice!

Interestingly enough, the estimates from agents you recommend are actually very reasonable, WAY better that what I got previously from some of the scammers listed on your black list! Go figure... But the delivery time is killing me. Hubby is now willing to reconsider the driving, even though I think renting at Penske (the best rate) and driving will end up costing pretty much the same as hiring a mover. Again, go figure... If it wasn't for the snow... I think I'm going to go nuts during this move, and I'm just trying to make the first decision!

There isn't much about Indianapolis on this website (I guess we are not a big people magnet), so I'm going to post my move, maybe it will help somebody later...

Anyway, thanks again!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:21 pm

AJO-
I didn't notice, but did you consider ABF or Broadway Express? That way you and your husband could compromise - you'd be able to load/pack yourselves and your husband wouldn't have to drive. I'm sure their delivery schedule is a bit better than the van lines too. Just another option for you to consider.

Return to “Open Community”