*Moving from Detroit to Houston: thoughts on these estimates?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Lady

*Moving from Detroit to Houston: thoughts on these estimates?

Postby Lady » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:04 pm

My husband and I will be moving from Detroit to Houston soon and have gotten estimates from some different companies. We will need to move our household stuff as well as a car, so we have estimates for both. These are my quotes so far:

Frisbie Moving & Storage Co. (United Van Lines)
Detroit, MI
Estimated wt. was 4400 lbs
Estimated cost: $4700 (includes car)

Imlach Movers (Atlas)
Trenton, MI
Estimated weight: 5380 lbs.
Estimated cost: $4600 (would be $3100 without car)
This was a not-to-exceed estimate.

All Around Moving & Storage (Bekins Agent)

Estimated wt: 4000 lbs
Estimated Cost (with car): $4000
This was a non-binding estimate.

Of the three, I was most impressed with Imlach. I am also awaiting estimates from Rose Moving in Belleville, and Whitestar in Sterling Heights. Any thoughts?

farrah7031

Re: Moving from Detroit to Houston: thoughts on these estimates?

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:14 pm

:thumbsdown: --All Around Moving (Bekins).
AVOID this company. "Michael" (worked in the Detroit area for about 6 years) posted that "Bekins quality was horrendous most of the time.":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7198#47198

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7650#57650

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:20 pm

Of the companies in the area, Corrigan and DMS have the best reviews here. Also, "Rick" posted that Rose Moving has its own car carriers, a plus because you would know that quality would be good.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:36 pm

Diane wrote:Of the companies in the area, Corrigan and DMS have the best reviews here. Also, "Rick" posted that Rose Moving has its own car carriers, a plus because you would know that quality would be good.

Unfortunately, Corrigan and DMS are so busy that they cannot get us a quote until next week and we would need one earlier than then.

I felt that the sales agent from Rose didn't really know what he was doing. Maybe he was just young, but I think he was the least thorough.

Lady

Postby Lady » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:50 pm

Sorry, the above post was me.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:14 pm

Of the 4 I would lean towards Imlach in terms of quality and service alone.

Since you already have Imlach I wouldnt worry about missing out on DMS, both are high quality companies.

I personally still think Corrigan is a better quality and service company then Frisbee, but by slight margins.

I would avoid WhiteStar and Bekins. When I worked in Michigan, and this was 6 years ago, WhiteStar operated out of a public storage facility.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:02 pm

One advantage of Imlach is that it also has locations in Dallas and San Antonio.

Re: *Moving from Detroit to Houston: thoughts on these estimates?

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:30 pm

We've decided to go ahead and book Imlach. They suggested we use a seperate auto moving company because it would be cheaper (around $700 without insurance, versus the $1500 Imlach was quoting us).

Does anyone know anything about DAS Auto Shippers in Dexter, MI? Their website says they aren't brokers, and have been in business since 1954.

From the article "How to find a reputable mover" it says to look up DOT and MC license numbers. Should I do this for the auto company?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:54 pm

DAS is very well known in the auto transport business. It does broker out some of its moves, and its performance even on its non-brokered moves has been uneven (see our Auto Transporters thread for many reports). I've been told that the reason is that some of its drivers don't have much experience with auto moving. Often an auto will be picked up by a flatbed towing company and taken to a DAS terminal where it will be loaded onto a car carrier by the long-haul driver. Then it will be delivered to a terminal at destination where it will again be loaded onto a flatbed and delivered to the residence. You may never see the long-haul driver who is actually moving the car for DAS. Further, your car might be transferred from one car carrier to another in the course of the move.

It used to be that many van line agents would routinely recommend DAS as a third-party carrier, perhaps because DAS did a good job of selling itself at moving company conventions, I'm not sure. But posts here show that industry people are beginning to have doubts about its performance. I've been told that there is a high driver turnover at DAS, and since the drivers are paid by the mile, they have less incentive to do a good job than if they were being paid a percentage of the revenue brought in by the truck.

I don't want to run this into the ground, but as I said before, if I were you I would call at least one of the three companies endorsed by this site to see what they would charge to do this move. It might be more or less the same as what DAS would charge, and you would know that you were getting a high-quality driver who would not be transferring your car midway through the route. If cost is not a concern since an employer is paying for it, I would go for the best and safest company.

Lady

Postby Lady » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:45 pm

Diane - what are the 3 companies this site endorses? I know there's Golden Key, but I already contacted them and they won't be coming to Michigan any time soon. What are some good auto transporters in Michigan?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:56 pm

Try Coast to Coast Auto Transport at www.coasttocoastauto.com - they may do that route. You could also call DeMoise at www.demoise.com but they use enclosed transport and will be more expensive. If you go to the Black List page here, you will see a "Companies We Endorse" box listing the three companies and giving links to their reviews and websites. You are moving on a north to south route and it's possible that none of these companies would be able to accommodate you.

You don't have to choose an auto transporter HQd near you - they can be located anywhere because most of them criss-cross the U.S. constantly.

To make myself clear - I think you would probably be OK with DAS even though in my opinion it would be better if you could book with one of these three companies that use their own trucks and drivers exclusively. Another thing to consider is that Imlach (if it gives DAS a lot of business) may have a special contact person at DAS who can help you to have a good move with them.

me/michael

Postby me/michael » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:59 pm

Have you called Rose Allied for the auto??

moverchick

Postby moverchick » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:25 pm

I just want to clarify the note regarding white star movers in Sterling Heights. They have a 2nd company that also runs a mini storage. They have never run out of a public storage. They are agents for Mayflower and have the Mayflower driver of the year as well as Superior Agent Performance award among others. The website is http://www.whitestarmovers.com/

good luck

Lady

Postby Lady » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:34 pm

I have looked up the the DOT # for the company that works for DAS that would be doing our move (Hazen Transport). Under insurance and Authority status it says "none" for common. And it also appears they have no cargo insurance. Should I take that as a bad sign?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:36 pm

They have a Contract license, which is all they need to transport your vehicle. Common and Contract can both carry things, but Contract oes not require the Cargo insurance.

If you use them, you might want to purchase additional insurance, which would probably be a good thing nomatter who you use. Go for a zero deductible.

Return to “Open Community”