Our Moving Horror Story, Van Rollover Accident

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
Total Loss

Our Moving Horror Story, Van Rollover Accident

Postby Total Loss » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:58 am

Hi, I'm a newbie here. I've never moved more than a mile so all this is shockingly
new to me. Unfortunately this move has become a nightmare my family will never
ever forget.

After contracting with a mover in CA named Paramount Relocations, Inc. they came
to our house to load our furniture and boxes. (we were quoted by the cubic foot, duh,
what did we know.) I was a little curious when they showed up in a Penske truck.
I managed to get through it by thinking that they would take my things back to their
facility (yeah, right, like two desks) and combine it with another move.

When the contents didn't arrive at the contracted time, after my husband
flew there to meet them, we really got worried. When we called the driver he was a
different driver than we'd met. He told us he'd had some trouble with the van and he
was stuck in NM awaiting repair. When we called the company they said they were
unaware of a delay. The next day the driver said he was waiting for parts, and the
following day he stopped answering his cell phone. After many hours on the phone
tracking him down we found out that he had been in an accident in NM. Paramount
finally admitted that they didn't know about it because the job had been handed off
to a (blacklisted) company called All State Van Lines. They would give us no
information but the owner would call back but of course that never happened. Everything
they told us from the beginning was a lie. Paramount (who uses the DOT# for All State)
kept blaming All State and All State kept telling us to call Paramount.

After several more days of utter frustration I got on the phone and called every State
Police office in NM. This took me two days. On the third day I got lucky and finally
found someone that had heard of an accident involving a moving van on Hwy 380. He
gave me a phone number to call for the police in that area. I spoke to an officer there
who said he would look in to it and call me back. In about five minutes the State Police
officer who was called to the accident scene recognized our name from the boxes that had
littered the highway for 36 feet where the driver of the van had rolled over on the highway.
He called me back, told me to sit down and then told me the story of the roll over and the
sad condition of our life-long belongings.

The moving van was totaled and our goods were scooped up with a backhoe and
stored in a salvage yard. So far no one had contacted them with regards to their cargo.
The driver was cited for reckless driving and not being properly licensed to drive the
vehicle. This all happened on New Year's Eve (our wedding anniversary, groan)
and it is almost two weeks later. The company is still telling us that the items will
be delivered. I have been in contact with our insurance company who has been
terrific. They will cover some of the loss. All State Van Lines has referred us to
"Josh" at Anthem. By the sounds of his reputation on this site we aren't holding
out much hope.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we should go about handling this
from here? The loss is so unbearable it's hard to become unemotional enough
to push forward. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. We are real newbies
to the Movingscam thing and feel so naive.
Many Thanks In Advance
Total Loss

Michael

Re: Our Moving Horror Story, Van Rollover Accident

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:26 am

If you want your goods, I would suggest talking to the police officer and seeing if he is aware of any reputable moving companies in the area that can pick your goods up from the salvage yard and bring them to you. Of course I am sure you will lose your deposit with Paramont (if one was given and is typically given to companies like these). But hopefully you havent paid more then that to this point. And no matter what they say dont pay them a dime more.

Because your goods were destroyed in the manner they were, I would not move anything until your insurance company has had a chance to do their due deligence. Then look into the other mover route.

Worst case, you and yur husband fly down to inspect, file and rent a truck to bring your goods to the new home. I know this is the bigger pain in the butt but probably the least of more worries.

I am sure all Paramont or All State is going to ffer you for your loss is .60/lb/article, saying you didnt have additional valuation and screw you even further.

I would also go to the top of this page, left hand corner and file a report with eveyone you can.

Sorry for your loss, do keep us posted.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

7Whitney

Postby 7Whitney » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:30 pm

Oh this is horrific and I was up half the night thinking about you. I just scheduled with Paramount for a move from Orange County, CA to Maryland, and the beginning of your story mirrors my experiences so much that the hair sood up on the back of my neck. They postponed a day for my move because of lack of manpower, calling to let me know 30 minutes prior to their scheduled arrival (Red Flag #1)-and told me afterwords that I had requested them to come 24 hours later, which was a flat out LIE. Once my belongings were in their Penske truck (Red Flag #2), their quote was $1800 MORE than anything remotely possible, including $909 for packing supplies that is simply impossible. I canceled my check to them the next day. I have spoken with 10 highly untrained and unhelpful people with Paramount in the past 6 days, and so far they have reduced my total on the Bill of Lading by $800, which is laughable, since they apparently added a lot on top of the original statement to work with! I have called and specifically asked to speak with a supervisor and no one else, and was told a supervisor would call back. Someone named Sean called back and I asked his title with the company, and he said he was calling me back instead of the supervisor, and that he is sort of the supervisor's secretary. I was told the next day that Sean IS a supervisor. I called this morning and said I need an itemized inventory of all of the packing supplies they used that they are charging me for, how many of what, and what each item cost, and that I need it faxed to me today. No problem, I was told. The fax never came. I am positive that they will have an impossible time proving that I owe them $909 of packing suppies. I called tonight and demanded to know where my shipment of belongings is; is it in the warehouse? Is it in transit? These are YES or NO answers, which they didn't give me, simply that I "will be recieving my shipment between the 12th and 14th" of this month. After reading your story, I am praying with every ounce of my being that my shipment comes. I was trying to save money by going with Paramount instead of a popular brand name moving company; I ended up being quoted WAY more by Paramount, and being given such stress over the past week dealing with this hugely incompetent company. I am way too trusting apparently, but now I know the hard way.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:49 am

OH, 7Whitney, I/we are SO VERY SORRY to hear your story!! It's such a travesty that people check MovingScam.com AFTER the dirty deed has been done, we did the same thing. It makes us sick that Paramount has
"struck again" and we're so sorry for you and your family.

First of all, let me give you the best advice we can for right now. Log on to the Better Business Bureau at www.labbb.org and file a complaint with them. This is the best thing you can do for the moment. They contacted Paramount right away for us. This was the only thing we did that ever got even a small rise out of them. You can put in a complaint online. Their phone number is (909)835-6064. They will try to
negotiate with you to take the complaint off by saying they will give you your money back. They won't.

They use all kinds of names. The "Sean" that you spoke to is really Eyal Bendror who claims to be the owner. He will also use the name Ben and sometimes Al. They usually make up "American" sounding names. Ben Nagar is there also. They are the most heartless group of criminals you will ever run across. Kelly is the office manager and pretends to be dumb as a bag of rocks. Don't let her fool you. "Emelio" was the one that came to get the load, called himself the "foreman" and claimed that he would be driving the truck all the way to our destination. Who knows what his real name is. They work out of small one room shacks that don't even have the name on the door. They will eventually refer you to Anthem Claims Management which is another scam and won't even be worth the phone call. It may even be part of Eyal's "extended family".

We have yet to solve our issues with either Paramount Relocator's or All State Van Lines which is the company Paramount handed our goods over to without our permission. However, we are in communication with several people who have been victimized by them and may be combining our efforts to put these people out of business. If you're interested in knowing more you can email us privately at missalleny [at] sbcglobal.net
Again, we understand what you are going through and extend our sincere
condolance's.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:20 pm

There are several companies that have similar names. I believe this company is the one with MC #572636 in Tarzana. I've added a warning about the company to the Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

7Whitney

Postby 7Whitney » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:24 pm

More to add to my seemingly neverending stresses with Paramount:
I have been on the phone all week last week with them, talking to the same person who calls himself different names depending on the day (Sean, Ben, Alex, Eyal, etc). Interestingly, when I am speaking to him and I ask to speak to one of the others, they are "Not in the building", "not in today", or "not available". I have been flat out lied to by Paramount more than 4 times in a week, and every specific thing I ask them for has not been answered, followed through with, or done. Their inital statement to me after pick up was a shocking $1800 more than anything possible, and when I cancelled the check to them because I wanted specifics as to what I was being billed for, they never got me what I was asking for. They have since deducted money from that total for the fuel surcharge, packing supplies, a day that they postponed, and $25 probably because I complained so much for a total deduction now of $800 off that packed on $1800. I just finally was given the driver's cell number, and I called him tonight. I was told all week last week by Paramount that delivery would be between the 12-14th of Feb. The driver said he is in Dallas, Texas, and has 7 more deliveries to make, including stops in Iowa and Chicago, and he won't be here until this weekend. I am staying at a hotel because I am waiting for my belongings to arrive, and I am so angry. If they charge me one penny more at delivery than I am now due, I will immediately call the police without anymore discussion. Paramount is a lying, cheating, incompetent "business".

7Whitney

Postby 7Whitney » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:52 am

N.B.A. Moving and Storage is out of Brooklyn, NY. This is a real doozy, since my "moving company" Paramount Packing and Relocation is out of southern CA. I have researched the DOT #s for the companies, the insurance information (I have researcher in my genetic make-up!). Based on what I now know, I completely understand why Paramount would accept my Visa card for the deposit and reluctantly for the pickup payment, but insists on ONLY cash or money order for the delivery.
Paramount Packing and Relocation only does half of the move: the pick up. They came to my house in a Penske rental truck (when I questioned this, they seemed to act as if every company does this). Paramount's insurance grants them authority for a "common carrier" of household goods, i.e., their rental of a Penske truck to come pick up my belongings. Paramount DOES NOT have insurance for vehicle transport! They then took my belongings to a warehouse, which must be near them somewhere in the outskirts of L.A. (not to my knowledge until after the fact). My belongings apparently sat there for 5 days while I was on the road driving across the US to relocate to Maryland (not to my knowledge). Then a truck from N.B.A. Moving and Storage, which DOES have insurance for vehicle transport, came to the warehouse, picked up my belongings, and began a drive across the US, with EIGHT deliveries on one truck, unbelievably.
So basically, I've paid Paramount for their services and storage (and then some, which I wasn't aware of the Penske truck or the storage, OR the N.B.A. truck transfer). N.B.A. is a whole separate company, so Paramount is insisting I pay N.B.A. cash on delivery, which I still don't like.
Oddly on all of this, the insurance application dates for both companies are within a few days of each other, on different coastlines, with different insurance companies, ranging from 08/21/06 to 08/29/06, all of which were way too recent for me to be comfortable with a company moving my belongings, some priceless, across the US.
I hope this information gets out, as it's unfathomable how easy and what a con this is for the companies, and they have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, and even when asked pointed questions, they give you round-about answers that don't answer you, or the flat out lie.

ROBERT68

WOW THIS IS TOO MUCH

Postby ROBERT68 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:07 pm

OH MY GOD. I just cannot believe all this. This people are just heartless, I was for few hours trying to find information on this people that are just shameless, and I found that the owner of this company EYAL BEN DROR is a native Israeli who does not speak, writes and barely understand English. The rest of his band BEN NAGAR, which real name is OFIR NAGAR is an illegal alien also Israeli citizen. That office manager Kelly Stevens is just an addition to his gang... All the sales people and foremen as they call themselves are heartless people who he hires to be part of a criminal activities "business". They need to be stopped now. There are innocent and good people falling for their unethical way of running their crime based corporation.
The 18307 Burbank Blvd #4 Tarzana, CA 91356 it's a home address. Their real address is 18341 Sherman Way #103A Reseda, CA 91335.
I'm writing all this for one reason only I booked my move with this criminals few days ago and after finding out all this information I immediately cancel my reservation, disputed my deposit and cancel my credit card. I do not want this people to have my information, I informed them to not contact me for any reasons. I hope that this helps people, clients or future clients to RUN from this firm. This is horrible. If you have a reservation just cancel it NOW and do not give them any information of why are you cancelling. If you can please change your credit card information that could help too. and I'm saying this because my friend who moved to Colorado last year told me that her credit card was used by an employee of a moving company based in Los Angeles area. I'm thankful of this site for all the information and I would like to be one more to help people not to fall for this criminal. If you need any assistance I can help my email is freetone68atyahoo.com. If I could be of any help for anyone feel free to contact me.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:38 pm

Not that the info isn't helpful, but as Farrah already pointed out, you are an employee of Door to Door Relocation, bashing your competitors.

No honor among thieves.

Total Loss

Postby Total Loss » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:23 am

MusicMom, Is this the truth that ROBERT68 is actually another one of these devils in sheeps clothing?
Talk about heartless! Just shows us all, yet again, not to believe all we read on the internet.
Thanks for the info, MM

P.S. We have brough these thieves (All State Van Lines and Paramount
Relocation
, Eyal, et al), to the attention of our congressman who has turned it over to his legal department
for investigation.
Have you received your shipment yet Whitney7? Please keep us posted.

7Whitney

Postby 7Whitney » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:08 pm

Dear everyone concerned, and my dear Paramount, who I know is reading this:
I thank those who have been concerned for my belongings safe return. I have been MIA for several reasons, primarily that I wanted to recieve my belongings safely, and "on time" (this means something different to us all, doesn't it?!?).
Whoever Robert68 is, thank you for the additional information. The lot of us have figured out your little game, Paramount, and I am pleased to say that you aren't going to be sleeping comfortably for some time.
Here is the rest of my horrific, stress-filled move:
After my research on both Paramount and the secondary company, N B A, I filed complaints with the DOT, the BBB, the CA Attorney General, and probably a dozen other locations that this wonderful website referred me to. This was at 4 AM on night when I was unable to sleep due to the stress and anger and frustration that was due to Paramount and my move, all of which was grossly unnecessary.
BBB was prompt and I received a hysterical phone message from my dear friend Kellie at Paramount regarding it. (yes, "Kellie" NOT "Kelly" Stevens) I chose to ignore her. Meanwhile, THE TIME SPAN THAT PARAMOUNT GAVE ME FOR DELIVERY CAME AND WENT, and I spent 7 days and almost $900 in a hotel, waiting for my belongings.
(Paramount, you insist you cannot confirm a delivery date because "it is a long way", what I say to you is that I have saved on my phone a message from "Alex" from your company stating that delivery would be between the 12-14 February. And I did the exact same long drive and can certainly guarantee an arrival date.)

I then recieved a 7 page email from Kellie at Paramount. It was in response to my BBB complaint. It was an attachment to her email, and it was not dated, no company insignia, and not signed. It concluded "Customer Service." That's funny, isn't it!?! That's actually what's completely lacking here. As far as I'm concerned, this letter was bogus, and wouldn't hold water in a court of law. It was not in English, the grammar was just wrong, the sententces didn't make any sense, and the run-on sentences were so many it was laughable. They claimed (to cover their own asses) that I "mis understood" them. I'm sorry, but I understand them all too well, and I'm apparently not as dumb as some people they pull scams over on. FINALLY, I was given a somewhat itemized list of charges, which I had specifically asked for for over a week, and I was reassured every time they'd fax it "today." Amusingly, in this email attachment, I was given an updated total, which not surprisingly was MORE by $2000 than the discounted total I have saved in a message from "Alex" on my phone. And doing my own addition and subtraction, their new itemized list of charges and discounts on the email attachment does not add up to the new total that they gave me. I checked my math again and again, and finally laughed so hard I was wiping tears from my eyes! What a bunch of stupid, incompetent idiots! No wonder they come up with such extravagant totals. They simply cannot add or subtract!
I chose to pay this total, and I promise you I was not going to throw cash at a company like this. I made out a Postal Money Order to them, and have saved all kinds of receipts and records of my transactions.

I was finally given the N B A driver's name and phone number by Paramount. His name is Joseph, and when I first spoke to him, he was in Dallas, Texas. You can only imagine my shock and alarm when here I had been driving across the US for 6 days and I am told my belongings are in Dallas. When I said something to Joseph on the phone about Paramount, he said "I'm not with them. I'm with another company, N B A." This is the first confirmation to me that my belongings were indeed transferred to a secondary company without my knowlege or without documentation. (Paramount's "Customer Service" person claimed in their email attachment to me that "everyone in the moving industry" uses secondary companies.)
Joseph said he wouldn't be arriving in Maryland until the weekend, which would be the 17-18 Feb., and he needed to make stops in Iowa, and Chicago before me. I told him I'd be calling him daily to check in on him!! The next day, I called N B A headquarters in Brooklyn. I recieved some more information on Joseph, like he owns his own truck, does drives around the US, is paid by N B A, and is "reliable and polite". I spoke with a woman named Selene, who was reassuring to me and said if there was any problem with Joseph, to call her asap. She claims to only have Paramount's address-no phone-which I find not only unlikely, but impossible, since if they are working together, a phone number is vital. Joseph told me the next day that he had more stops to make in Michigan and Minnesota, and I was the 7th out of 8 deliveries on his truck.
He then said he doesn't work on Saturdays, and my apartment community bans moving trucks on Sundays, so we set our delivery date now for the 19th Feb., which is a WEEK LATER than Paramount said as an "estimated delivery date".
I am pleased to say that Joseph was reliable and polite, and not only on time, but early. And, he's a young Israeli. He hired 2 local guys to help; lord knows how he found them.

He spilled some fascinating information:
That it was HE, Joseph, that contacted Paramount saying he had room in his truck for a shipment, NOT the other way around.
[/b]That he, Joseph gets paid by N B A.
That there is a national network of privately-owned moving companies, owned by Israelis, and specifically said, "so we don't work with companies like Atlas or Mayflower."
Obviously, Joseph has to get paid somehow by Paramount for his services on transporting my belongings, and I am assuming this is what much of my last-minute jacked-up charges are for. (the "Packing" and "additional cubic foot" charges)

In un-packing, I have found several things that have made me steaming mad (as if I thought I was mad last week!):
They broke the leg off of an antique tea table that is a family heirloom. (Paramount, I will be documenting SPECIFIC damages and charges to you for the damages)
They charged me $909 for packing many of my family photos and reprints of pictures. They only used 4-5 of their own boxes, photo boxes. The rest of the boxes that Paramount chose to use 10 of them!) were in my apartment and had been bought by a friend of mine helping me move. She was going to return them for credit.
Only 3 of my reprinted pictures that they packed were completely enclosed in bubble wrap. 70% of my pictures that they "packed" were NOT completely covered in bubble wrap, leaving at least 2 sides completely exposed. They did this with mirrors as well. 29% of my pictures (family photos) PARAMOUNT DID NOT WRAP AT ALL IN BUBBLE WRAP.
What the hell is this??!! It's certainly not "packing", as you are calling it.

Using other people's boxes and charging me for it? Charging me for packing and then NOT wrapping my breakable items hardly at all or NOT at all? Barely using any packing tape on my most breakable items? Charging me $909 for that?

I have recieved a very very kind, strong, and apologetic letter from the DOT in response to my complaint to them. I was very specific in my complaints about Paramount to them, as they only give you 12 lines in their complaint section. They will be joining with the FBI in researching Paramount, and fining Paramount for any faults they find.
I urge everyone with REAL, legal problems with moving companies to file complaints with the DOT. The respond, and respond kindly and promptly.

Paramount, you asked me in your email attachment to recant all of the things that I've said about you. Sorry, Charlie. It's staying. I've paid you for your bogus work, I got the information I need about you, and I have my belongings. I'd be happy to shut you down, so no one else has to go through the stress I did during an incredibly stressful time. Screwing someone during moving is like scraping a burn.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:44 pm

7Whitney wrote:He spilled some fascinating information:
That it was HE, Joseph, that contacted Paramount saying he had room in his truck for a shipment, NOT the other way around.
[/b]That he, Joseph gets paid by N B A.
That there is a national network of privately-owned moving companies, owned by Israelis, and specifically said, "so we don't work with companies like Atlas or Mayflower."

Paramount probably listed your move on an Internet load board where drivers or companies can look for and bid on loads. One or more of those load boards may be set up/favored by Israelis - I'm not sure. I think someone posted this in the past.

7Whitney

Postby 7Whitney » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:12 am

My BBB complaint against Paramount Packing and Relocation was closed today by the BBB, and amusingly, Paramount claims to have refunded me $1052! In actuality, they only refunded me $652.

I just found out from the BBB that due to Paramount's inability to provide the BBB with required paperwork, the BBB dropped Paramount as members.

Paramunt seems to have "hired" someone who calls herself Jasmine (as far as I can tell, it's a new voice on my voice mail, but everyone goes by aliases at Paramount), primarily to deal with customer service problems. She emaild me and wanted my experience. I emailed and told her she was 2 months 2 late, and I am now healing from my experience with them, and she could read the details of my complaints on the various places I've filed complaints against the company.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:23 am

Very interesting! Are you going to provide the BBB with proof of the check's actual amount?

7Whitney

Postby 7Whitney » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:32 am

BBB took my information for their files, but because they "closed" my complaint, they cannot add that info to Paramount's company records on their website. So if I would like to pursue, BBB recommended small claims court. I've now filed complaints with government officials, so I feel this is out of my hands now...and I'm trying to move on from this horrific experience that Paramount is calling a "misunderstanding".

Return to “Report A Scam”