Moving from NJ to Oregon

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Kr_s9

Moving from NJ to Oregon

Postby Kr_s9 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:09 pm

I am moving from Laurence Harbor, NJ to Portland, OR. Do you all know of any reputed moving company I can use ? This is the first time I will be using a moving company, and will be very much grateful for any suggestions.
(I found one company till now - United and their contractors. Is United Van Lines/Victory Van lines a good company?)
Thanks

Diane

Re: Moving from NJ to Oregon

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:27 pm

First, go to the home page of this website and click on the article called "How to Find a Reputable Mover." Follow the steps outlined there and then come back to us after you have three in-house estimates for your move.

Regarding Victory Van Lines, be careful, because there are many companies with similar names. There is a Victory Van (MC#128153), which I believe is an Allied agent, in Alexandria, VA. I don't see any immediate red flags with that company, although one person posting here (Tyrone) has said that he knows something negative. Possibly he was confusing it with Victory Moving & Storage (MC #411974), which has bad reports on this website and has a license revocation pending. So just be sure to get the MC number of the Victory you are considering so that we can check it out for you. (It seems odd to me that you would be considering a company located in Virginia.)

Re United Van Lines, United is the highest-rated major van line on the consumer-oriented website www.epinions.com. Although there are are no guarantees with any moving company, because there are no laws to protect us, I personally feel that you are unlikely to have a serious problem if you choose one of the higher-rated majors. The safest thing, however, is always to move yourself using a rental van such as Penske.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:59 pm

KR

The only listing for Victory Van Lines that I see for United at its web site is for a Sales Office in Jamesburg. Generally this means they dont have crews locally and just a sales office. So you might want to ask them where their help or main office is located.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Kr_s9

Postby Kr_s9 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:58 pm

Thank you, Diane and Michael.
I got in touch with couple other moving companies. I called the 888 # about complaints, but looks like all major movers have complaints!
Michael, I will check with victory about whether they have trucks. When I asked for MC #, they gave me United's MC67234 & DOT077949. The rates are Exorbitant ~$3700! But I have an agent coming in for more accurate estimate.
I got in touch with Precision Moving, Fla. since they contacted me, and they gave me < 2000$. Also I tried five-o-moving. They also gave around $2000. That company seems to be run by ex-military and fire personnel.
Any feedback on this?
How are North American and Morse?
Thanks!
KR

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:10 am

Kr_s9,

If you're moving from NJ why are you looking at companies in Florida? Did you read the article titled "How to Find a Reputable Mover"?

It just seem like you're looking in the wrong places to me and asking for trouble. You should really be looking at companies local to you. Definitely don't use a company that you find over the Internet.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:18 am

OH . . . MY . . . GOD!

From United Van Lines, a reputable major van line, to Precision Moving and Five-Oh? Both of those latter two are out of the question. Please, do a search on their names on this website, and stop looking for companies on the Internet. That's how the scammers get their victims. Don't try to find a "bargain" mover, or you will be very, very sorry.

Kr_s9

Postby Kr_s9 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:18 am

Hi
I wanted to move ASAP, and Precision seems to be contracting for Morse.
Do you all have other suggestions as to how I can ship my stuff. I really have very little.
1. Kitchen stuff
2. Queen bed & some bedding
3. Dresser.
4. A small table and couple of chairs.
5. Knick knacks--vases/flowers/wall hangings

Driving a moving truck is not an option. I have a small SUV, and either I drive that or ship that as well.
Thanks!
KR

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:29 am

KR,

That's a very small amount of stuff. I guess the first thing you have to decide is whether you want to drive your car or ship it. If you ship the car, you might have anough stuff for a U-Pack, We-Drive type mover (they usually have about a 2,000 pound minimum, which you wouldn't have without the car). I suggest that you call Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net and tell them you want to do a household relocation move including a car and tell them exactly what you have. See what they say (they can ship your car with the household goods). If you just want to ship your things without the car, there are companies like ShipSmart at www.shipsmart.com that I believe handle shipments up to 2,000 pounds. I don't think they're all that inexpensive, however.

I hope this helps, and I didn't mean to yell at you, I just couldn't believe that you managed to find two of the worst so quickly . . . or I guess THEY found YOU!

Kr_s9

Postby Kr_s9 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:39 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, Diane.
I guess I am really a novice at this. I just got overwhelmed by the number of companies, and how to short-list, since all big companies seemed to have complaints against them.
You are right--they found me, they kept calling and I happened to be making calls when I got these calls. :)
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a computer and TV as well.
I will try those links you mentioned.
Thanks a lot
KR

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:43 am

KR,

Out of curiosity, how are you finding these companies?

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Kr_s9

Postby Kr_s9 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:58 am

Tim & Diane
:oops: I must admit I get an alphabetical listing of companies on the internet, and called the consumer complaints hotline mentioned in the 'movingscam how to find a moving company' in a vain attempt to shortlist. I am going to try the real-estate agents & phonebook tomorrow.
Since I have a bed, and the car, I am not sure I will be able to load the truck myself to avail the services of Broadway express or ABF. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
KR

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:58 am

KR,

Normally I wouldn't be so specific about suggesting what a person should do, but you say you have to move soon and you really ARE at risk because the scammers have your contact information and they can "smell blood," if you get what I mean.

Going back to what you said about Morse Moving using the known scammer Precision Moving to perform its moves, that is news to me and I think it might be news to Morse as well, since as far as I know, Morse is a reputable company affiliated with Allied Van Lines.

Getting names of movers out of the phone book is somewhat risky because the scammers advertise there, too. Asking realtors is usually a good idea.

However, you are sort of in a bind because of the small amount of stuff you have without the car. I was in a similar situation myself about nine months ago and I found that the major van lines weren't too interested in handling my move because of the small profit margin. I decided to use ABF but I don't think that will work for you because you have to buy a minimum amount of feet in the truck and you have less than that without the car, and in any case they don't move cars.

I suggested Broadway Express because you can call them up and talk with a real person (people have said that his name is Don Girard) and read him your list and he will be able to tell you whether they can handle your move and approximately what it will cost. You can also hire the driver to help you load (I am thinking about things like the bed); people have said that it costs about $30/hour, which is well worth it. Ask Don whether you should buy a bed carton or vinyl protector from U-Haul or something because I don't think Broadway Express will have one on the truck. The other things you have are light and shouldn't be a problem; you can pack as much as possible in advance. And of course they will load the car for you.

As I said, I normally wouldn't be as specific in my advice as this but I honestly think this is the best place for you to start. Maybe others posting here will have some ideas for you. One of the "moverguys" (Michael) has said that a company called Meyers Moving sometimes picks up small loads like yours to fill out a shipment that is going cross-country, so maybe he will jump in here to advise you.

You could always sell your bed and dresser and whatever else won't fit into your SUV, drive yourself cross-country, and then buy those things new in Oregon. That plan has the advantage that you could carry your electronics with you in the SUV.

I myself have been through what you are going through, with all the scammers calling and emailing me, and I can understand what you are feeling. Whatever you do, don't be taken in by a person with a charming manner. They try to make you feel like the most desirable woman on earth, but after you sign up with them, you aren't allowed to talk with the charming people any more, only with unpleasant creeps who specialize in making excuses about why your stuff hasn't arrived. Thanks to Tim and this website, this didn't happen to me, which is why I am here trying to warn others. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Kr_s9

Postby Kr_s9 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:26 pm

Diane
Thank you so much for the long mail!
So far, Broadway express seems to be my best bet. I was able to speak to Don and tomorrow I will get a quote.
I searched on the postings here and found some positive comments on them.
Are they reliable with my car And my belongings!?
Also, you had mentioned some similar companies and people who have used them. Is is possible for you to give me some more names?
My concern with all these companies is whether a truck can come near enough to the apartment, both in Laurence Harbor as well as Portland, OR.

United gave me a quote for 2600$ with room for additional charges since they said the driver would make that call in Portland, OR!!
Thanks a lot!
KR

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:32 pm

KR,

I'm glad that you think Broadway Express might be a good option. There are other U-Pack, We-Drive type companies besides Broadway Express, but to the best of my knowledge none of them can move your car along with your household goods.

You mentioned before that you thought the quote from the United Van Lines agent was going to be about $3700. If they came to your home and are now saying $2600, and you can afford that (I assume that includes transporting your car), I would give that company serious consideration, provided you are sure that it's really an agent of United Van Lines. As I said before, United is the highest-rated major van line on Epinions. There are are no guarantees with any moving company, because there are no laws to protect us, but I personally feel that you are unlikely to have a serious problem if you choose one of the higher-rated majors.

It's mainly when people can't pay for a major van line to move them that I start thinking about companies like Broadway Express. I have NO personal knowledge of the company. I have never met or even talked with Don Girard. I learned about the company only through people who posted good things about it on this website. Those people include Susan, Ray, Angela, BrooklynMommy, Tae, penaddict, and Suzon; Ray and Suzon also shipped cars with BE. A guy named Mike posting as "GoingBacktoCali" also said he was going to use BE but never got back to us on how it went.

Again, I have to stress that there are no guarantees in the moving business. Aside from the fact that anybody can scam anybody because there are essentially no laws to protect us, even without an intentional scam you could have a not-so-good move with Broadway Express, just as you could have a not-so-good move using a rental van or an agent of a major van line. All I can tell you is that the people posting on this website have had a good experience with the company so far. You could send private messages to any of the people listed above (except Suzon, who wasn't registered) to check into it further. Ray said he would be happy to give anybody details about how it was to move his car from Manhattan with BE.

I can't really predict whether the various trucks could get close enough to your place(s), but so far no one has had to use a shuttle with BE, although I see that Seth may have to in Chicago. That's something you should discuss with BE and the United agent. They should be able to predict this to some extent.

Again, you could always drive your SUV cross-country and sell the things that won't fit into it and buy new in Oregon. In many ways that would be the safest thing to do, because you would have complete control over your move, whereas with United or Broadway Express you would be relying on someone else to a greater or lesser extent.

I'll only add that I'm a little worried about the possible "additional charges" in Oregon mentioned by the United agent. It sounds to me as if they didn't give you a binding not-to-exceed estimate. Although I'm not an expert on estimates, that doesn't sound too good to me. There are people associated with United Van Lines who post here and maybe they would be willing to analyze your estimate and give their opinion. I would feel more comfortable if they would do this, and if they would also confirm that the company is really a United agent.

I'm glad that I could help a little bit, and please let us know what you decide and how it goes when you do move!

Josh

Postby Josh » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:13 pm

Diane wrote:
Going back to what you said about Morse Moving using the known scammer Precision Moving to perform its moves, that is news to me and I think it might be news to Morse as well, since as far as I know, Morse is a reputable company affiliated with Allied Van Lines.

Here are some links I found on Morse:
http://www.morsevanlines.com/
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsb2dc/morse/morse.html (North American Agent)
http://www.morsemoving.com/logistics.htm (Allied Agent)

I am not sure which company KR was referring to?

Also, the additional charges built in might already include a shutlle at dest., but if it is not needed, it will not be charged. I prefer not to include it in the original contract, just let the customer know what it will cost if one is needed.

If KR wants me to review the estimates, my fax number is 216-803-2006. I will gladly do a critique on them.

Josh

Return to “Open Community”