Southern Winds, moving from NYC to Dublin

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
irishmoved

Southern Winds, moving from NYC to Dublin

Postby irishmoved » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:55 am

I moved to Dublin from NYC and chose Southern Winds based on the information on this site. They made the experience as painless as possible. Everyone I dealt with, both at Southern Winds and at the other firms they sub-contracted out to, was courteous and professional. All my questions and concerns (and I had a few) were answered. The final price was reasonable (and significantly less than the initial provisional estimate). They estimated a delivery time of 4-8 weeks and my goods arrived in 6 weeks.

MusicMom

Re: Southern Winds, moving from NYC to Dublin

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:35 am

Do you remember the names of the other companies they contracted to?

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:13 pm

Stateside, Atlas did the packing. On the European side it was Simpson's in the UK (Southern Winds said they normally ship to Europe via the UK).

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:39 pm

Thank you!

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:14 am

I am moving from Atlanta, GA to Co Cavan Ireland and need to have my stuff packed/shipped the end of May. I am trying to get all the quotes in now and decide on a shipper to use by mid Feb.

I have not yet contacted Southern Winds (though I will email today). I have had one person come out from Stevens to do a survey and I am waiting on the estimate to come back in now. The guy that did the survey mentioned that my stuff would use (but not fill) a 20 foot and I hope that means not very costly. You mentioned the final price was less then the estimate...do you mind me asking how it differred?

Rainier will have someone out on Sat. and I am curious if they will say the same thing about the container. Did you look into any of those companies for your move over to Dublin?

Thanks.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:43 am

The final cost (excluding insurance) was $3552.50 for 203 cft; this figure was calculated 2 or 3 days after the stuff was packed and taken away. I now forget eaxctly how much the original estimate was, but it was over $6000: as I said, a substantial (and appreciated) difference.

I contacted Rainier but they never called back so I didn't pursue them any further. I also contacted two other places but I forget which ones now.

If you're moving to Ireland I should mention one thing about Southern Winds. They ship to the UK, where it clears EU customs and then it comes over to Ireland. They explained that this procedure takes more time but costs less. In the UK, Simpson's took over the customs and delivery procedure. It takes about 5-10 business days for stuff to clear customs then Simpson's stores it until they have enough different shipments to send over to Ireland. It was about a 2 week gap between when the shipmnet arrived in the UK and when the truck came to my door (as I said in my original post, the delivery was well within the estimated time). And you have no control over scheduling the date and time of delivery. It wound up not being a problem for me, but this might be an issue for you.

ireblues

Postby ireblues » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. If I can save money by having the shipment go to the UK first...great. I have been getting concerned about costs on this move. I can imagine it was a very nice surprise to get around a $2400 savings!

An extra couple of weeks will not be a problem. I much prefer my stuff is packed well and arrives in good shape.

Return to “International Moves”