Move from New Jersey to Va

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
microwave234

Move from New Jersey to Va

Postby microwave234 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:53 pm

I was recently moved by Harrington Moving and Storage from New Jersey to Virginia. The pickup went without problem but the delivery was a nightmare. They were 10 hours late, it took them 7 hours to unload the truck (2bdr house) and they even hired a person off the street at 10pm to finish the move. I have filed a complaint with the BBB, is there anything else I should do?

MusicMom

Re: Move from New Jersey to Va

Postby MusicMom » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:49 pm

You can file some complaints at the places outlined in the Report A Scam thread, but from that description it seems like very poor service, not a scam. But I understand how taking such a long time would suck out loud to you. Yikes, my unloading of a two bedroom house took just over a half hour. What did you see that caused them to take so long? Lots of breaks, slow moving, carrying one box at a time, things like this?

Did anything else happen, besides the time? Since this was an interstate move, you were not charged by the hour, so the price did not change, right?

Any damages?

And WHERE did they find a guy at 10 pm? :shock:

Diane

Re: Move from New Jersey to Va

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:18 pm

Harrington Moving & Storage, Inc. in Maplewood dba Harrington Movers has MC #351638 and is properly licensed to do interstate moves. It has the website www.harringtonmovers.com and only 1 BBB complaint over the past 36 months. It is an agent of National Van Lines. The website says (rather grandly, in my opinion) that it has an office on Park Avenue South in Manhattan. I agree with MM that this sounds like a botched move, not a scam. Why were they late making the delivery? Even reputable moving companies sometimes have to hire people off the street to help make a delivery, under extreme-need conditions.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”