"Padding" by Michael's Moving and Storage, Boston MA

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
nojojojo

"Padding" by Michael's Moving and Storage, Boston MA

Postby nojojojo » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Wow, after reading the real horror stories here, my situation doesn't seem quite as bad. But I want to report this here because the BBB wasn't at all helpful, and I want prospective customers to know about this.

I did two local moves with a company called Michael's Moving and Storage in Boston. Both went smoothly -- the movers were fast, the price was good, nothing was damaged. When I needed to do a third move that involved a ten-day period of storage in between pickup and delivery, I went to Michael's again. I'd been recommending them to acquaintances based on my two good experiences all that time.

On this third occasion, something very weird occurred. When the movers arrived, they said there would be a charge of $10 per moving pad used, and they would need to use about 20 pads. Since most of my furniture is cheap, I protested; they'd never used pads with anything but the most fragile items before, so why would they need so many now? We called the company while the guys were there, and I got them to agree not to charge for the pads. So they began loading, using lots of pads and tape -- frequently putting the tape directly on my furniture, I should note; in the end the tape did more damage to the finish of my few real-wood items than anything else. They also padded things that plainly didn't need padding, like my futon cushion (!). Why? Because they were being paid by the hour, and padding every single item made the hours streeeetch on. My final bill was twice the estimate.

I tolerated this because I figured maybe the warehouse where my stuff would be stored was dusty, or something.

When they were supposed to deliver my belongings, they were supposed to get there at 11. They didn't show up 'til 3. I called the company repeatedly during this time, and got different excuses as to where they were and why they were late -- everything from "Your stuff is on the truck already, but the drivers got lost" to "They were late finishing up another move, so now they're coming to the warehouse to pick up your stuff." (Note the contradiction.) When they finally showed up, I was furious to see charges for the four late hours on the bill. When I protested, they said they wouldn't unload until I agreed to the charges. Held hostage, I had no choice but to agree.

I filed a complaint with the BBB, which Michael's disputed, and I filed a rebuttal to that, but I don't know if that will do any good.

I sincerely hope this was a one-time problem, because like I said -- I had two good moves with them. That last experience left such a sour taste in my mouth, though, that now I'm telling everyone I can to stay far away from this company.

nojojojo

Diane

Re: "Padding" by Michael's Moving and Storage, Boston MA

Postby Diane » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:38 pm

If this is the company with website www.michaelsmovers.com it is already on our "Avoid" list under "Massachusetts" on the Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

nojojojo

Postby nojojojo » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:55 pm

Yep, that's them. =( I wouldn't have looked for this site prior to the third move (which was in June of 2006), because I'd had good experiences with them before. Still, it's not surprising to see that other people had problems with them.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:22 pm

nojojo,

I wanted to point out some things about your move that should be very common with every mover.

When you go onto a truck, whether locally, within state or out of state all your goods, excepts for boxes and small items placed on top section, should be pad wrapped and shrink wrapped (upholstry furniture). No exceptions. At no time should tape be placed on the furniture. Even when moving locally into storage, your goods should be pad wrapped in the house and placed on the truck. You should not be charged for this service. Or should I say for pads. Thats ridiculous.

Second, most companies that move you locally into storage charge a rate per pound or a rate per vault. So I see an issue with your move of charging by the hour for a move into storage. Unless your having your goods stay on the truck for at most 4-5 days. Then I have no issue with hourly rated moves.

The problem with hourly rated storage moves, you have no idea how much time it took them to unload your goods into storage and then to have them loaded again for delivery out. Just ridiculous.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Report A Scam”