Somebody, quick....

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
annie

Somebody, quick....

Postby annie » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:44 pm

Hello all, and thanks Rebel,

Okay, for the last couple of days I've been asking about USA Express and affordable options for a cross-country move. I am running out of ideas. "Respectable" moving companies want to charge me three to four thousand dollars (1 bedroom apt) and I've quotes from $1,150 to $1,800 from chancier companies I apparently can't trust. I live in an apartment building in Queens, so ABF U-pack can't drop off a trailer so I'd have to hire a truck and/or movers locally to shuttle my belongings to a terminal, which is very expensive, also. A U-haul/Penske/Budget truck is $2,200.00 before tax/gas/lodging (all the way to Oregon from NYC) and again, I'm a single gal, I'd have to hire help to load. Also, I'm flying with my pets on the 7th of May, so I'm not driving the truck, anyway.

I have items I can't liquidate, things that came from my family -- I have to take them with me.

Is there really no affordable AND honest company out there? I can be very flexible with the arrival time of my goods as I will be putting them in storage once they get there.

PLEASE ADVISE.

Thank you very much,

Annie
(Guest/AC)

bob

Re: Somebody, quick....

Postby bob » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:56 pm

annie, at this point your best bet is to go with one of the better known companies. try avatar atlas on long island their # is 631-244-8686 and ask for Bill or Lou or chris. tell them Bob Murphy said to call

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:48 pm

RE: Atlas Van Lines - Certified Transportation Group - move Long Island, NY to Colorado - charged more than quoted

My registration #is HF51324-0 and invoice # 32620. You moved me ou of my home on LI-I paid storage to you on time for a year and when it came to move my thingsa out to Colorado yuquoted me $3200.00 as an estimate but the charge was over $1500.00 more.

You did not call me to inform me of this vast diffeerence in amount. I feel it is unethical to do this and I want to dispute the charge. I will be out of the country until Nov 20th so I cannot clear this up with you until I get back.

Thank you

Randye Mandell

460South Pine St. Apt A01
Telluride Colorado

Phone #970-369-1464.

BETTER CALL THE GENTLEMAN ABOVE B4 YOU DECIDE TO USE THE COMPANY THAT THE GENTLEMAN BOB SUGGESTED :shock:

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:21 pm

As far as Atlas Van Lines goes, make sure you know which one you're going with if you decide to use them. There is Atlas Van Lines, Inc. in Indiana which is the large company with 4,735 vehicles and 3,299 drivers. Then there is Atlas Van Lines (Three Way Mid-America LLC) in Oklahoma which is still in the application process and whose USDOT number does not exist in the FMCSA database and neither does their company in Oklahoma. I can't find anything else on them.
Nevertheless, I am not here to suggest or endorse any moving company, but if you do go with Atlas, make sure it is the "major" mover out of Evansville, IN and not Oklahoma City, OK.

AC

Postby AC » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:12 am

Thanks for the warnings and info again, everyone. I'm talking to United Van Lines and a local company called Upstairs Downstairs recommended by a friend. I'm trying to wrap everything up today so please keep the advice coming. I am totally donating to this site and I hope everyone who comes here does -- invaluable.

Also, I have to move my car and the company that was supposed to pick it up this weekend didn't. I do believe if I go to hell I will be trying to move from one side of the country to the other for all of eternity. I can't imagine much that's worse at this point. Anyway, any car transport recs would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Annie

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:38 pm

Try Dependable Auto Shippers for your car transportation.

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Thu May 01, 2003 1:03 am

Annie,
Dependable Auto Shippers showed up pretty much clean without any complaints or severe record blemishes that I could find. Out of curiosity, what was the company that was supposed to pick up your car and did you pay a deposit?

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:38 pm

Did you use: Upstairs Downstairs? Would you reccomend them? What is their number?
Thanks,

Return to “Open Community”