Wheaton Van Lines...good quote, but didn't come to my home

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dsaxena

Wheaton Van Lines...good quote, but didn't come to my home

Postby dsaxena » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:07 am

Hello,

I have been talking to a local Wheaton Van Lines representative (Desert Sun Moving in Phoenix, AZ) and have received a guranteed not to exceed quote for ~ $2000 for a 3800lb estimate with a $40,000 valuation and $250 deductible for a move from Phoenix to Portland, OR. What is interesting is that the representative did not come out to my home but came up with the estimate via a very detailed inventory I gave her. She has been very nice and has made sure to point out pitfalls such as making sure I understand
how valuation works, and answered all my questions. I have been talking to some non-local companies over the net and they all come up with around the same weight estimate based on my inventory, so is it OK that the rep didn't come out to my home or should I be worried? Her excuse for not doing so was that since I already had a detailed listing, she could make a good guess.

Josh

Re: Wheaton Van Lines...good quote, but didn't come to my ho

Postby Josh » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:58 am

Her excuse for not doing so was that since I already had a detailed listing, she could make a good guess.

With everything that could happen with a move, a "good guess" is not acceptable.

If it were me, I would have 3 in home estimates done and then start comparing. Don't let someone give you a "good guess" cuz I can tell you, when the weight comes in more, the mover can charge you whatever they want to and have no worries in doing it!

So to answer your question, No it's not OK and Yes, you have every reason to be worried!
"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:29 am

Josh wrote:I can tell you, when the weight comes in more, the mover can charge you whatever they want to and have no worries in doing it!

Josh, I'm confused by this. I'm not saying that the Wheaton rep did the right thing, but how can the company charge whatever they want with a GNTE estimate? Are you saying that the driver can protest and ask the customer to sign an addendum, or what?

Josh

Postby Josh » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:40 am

Actually,

I am not familiar with Wheaton's policies, but take this for example.

A phone survey is done and a guestimated weight of 3000# is determined. The driver shows up on moving day and realizes there is 5000#, and he will not haul it for the price of 3000#. Depending on Wheaton's policies, the driver could get the addendum signed before he loads, which gives the customer at least a chance to cancel, or have the customer sign after they have possession of her items and she is helpless.

That is basically what I was saying. Plus, who would even want the chance of this happening if they have time to get in home estimates. My main point was to get the in home estimate and not speculate on one's policies. So Diane, it doesn't really matter if she has a GNTE or not, there are ways to charge more depending on the companies policies.
"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Ken

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:41 am

Diane,

I can only speak for my own van line, but I know that if we were to give a binding estimate without looking at it, and the driver protested that shipment, the van line would throw the estimate out the window once they realized that nobody ever went to residence to look at it before the estimate was given... we have actually had instances where this has happened before (usually because of not looking at an extra stop on a binding estimate), and our office has always absorbed the cost difference to make the driver's money whole instead of passing it along to the customer, but that's not to say that everyone would handle it that way.

Even in a best case scenario here, if the salesperson blew the binding estimate, you run the risk of having an unhappy driver, who at best will load the shipment but be unhappy about it, making me wonder how much he's going to care about properly taking care of the furniture he's loading. At worst, he'll refuse the shipment outright, leaving the customer and the booking agent with a service failure on their hands...

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:55 am

Josh wrote:. . . the driver could . . . have the customer sign after they have possession of her items and she is helpless.

Thanks, Josh and Ken, for your replies. Again, I'm in no way saying that the Wheaton rep did the right thing. But wouldn't the above be illegal because of the 110% rule?

Josh

Postby Josh » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:57 am

I would have to say no. The reason, when an addendum is signed, a new contract is put into effect; therefore increasing the price on the Bill of Lading.

Oops, I see you edited my post down to "signing after the shipment is loaded". Then I would say yes. Our policy is to execute a new contract before the shipment is loaded, not after the items are in our possession. You are correct!

Ken

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:06 am

The issue is Diane that the driver is supposed to protest the shipment before a stick of furniture goes on the truck, meaning that a revised contract would be issued before the shipment was loaded....

If the driver does not follow the rules and protests after he has started loading, then the driver loses his protest, but then you revert to my first scenario where you have a driver in a bad mood who may be less than interested in protecting your heirloom hopechest because he knows he's losing money on the shipment.

Either way, the customer stands to lose...

Josh

Postby Josh » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:09 am

Important to note that Ken is referring to our Van Line policies. We cannot speak about how others do it.

We have strict policies that a driver must follow if he wishes to protest an order, and yes, it HAS to be done before anything is loaded.

:wink:

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:43 pm

I have been talking to some non-local companies over the net and they all come up with around the same weight estimate based on my inventory, so is it OK that the rep didn't come out to my home or should I be worried?

This is what I worry about! Just based on percentages, the internet companies are probably low-balling. So, if the over-the-phone quote from Wheaton is along the same lines as the internet companies, this doesn't inspire confidence. Call them out to your home!

IMovePeople

Postby IMovePeople » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:02 pm

It's April and early April at that - no excuse to be too busy to do an in-home estimate. And just some food for thought - I am NOT suggesting that this mover or any other is bad . . . if they don't have the time for an in home estimate which should take less than an hour, are they going to have time - when they say they will - to complete your move properly?
Movers are People, Too!

Return to “Open Community”