First American Van Lines - Overcharged once my stuff...

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
JEVolvo

First American Van Lines - Overcharged once my stuff...

Postby JEVolvo » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:08 pm

Hi. I recently moved from Phoenix, AZ to OH and used First American Van Lines. I had a few companies from the yellow pages come and give me estimates that were as high as $2100 for my 1 BR Apartment. When I called First American from the yellow pages he quoted me a price based on the weight of my stuff that had been previously estimated by other companies. Their quote was for $1200 so I went ahead and booked them. Then, once my stuff was loaded on I was handed a paper that said I had two choices: 1) to go to the weigh station and see if it was more than the estimate or 2) pay what the foreman estimates by cubic ft. The catch was that I had to pay whichever was greater. So, obviously by going along to have my things weighed I ran the risk of paying more than the 500 Cubic Ft. that he said my stuff was (which was marked off in the truck). The 500 Cubic Ft. was more than the weight quoted me originally I guess and I ended up having to pay him $1900 for the move. I am wondering...does that sound fishy? I felt like it was at the time, but had no choice since they had my stuff already. I had called prior to the move and asked what would happen if my stuff weighed less or more than the estimate and he said that I would go with the driver to the weight station and pay exactly what it costed basd on the weight. Once they had my stuff it was a whole nother story. What can I do now if anything? Thanks.

Nancy

Re: First American Van Lines - Overcharged once my stuff...

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:12 pm

Did you receive delivery of your goods yet? Are they in decent condition? Considering you were quoted $2100 from other firms and ended up paying $1900, you may just be relieved that it is over. We hear of cases at times where people's goods are held hostage for more than double their quotes.

It certainly sounds fishy to give you a choice of two options, and you have to pay whichever calculation is higher. But anytime someone charges by the cubic foot, the fishy smell is overwhelming..

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:33 pm

JEVolvo,

Before I say too much I'm curious to know if you've received delivery in Ohio as well. I don't want to say something that would endanger your delivery if it hasn't taken place yet. I'm also interested in seeing the original estimate from them as well as the Bill of Lading if you'd be willing to share that information with me.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:49 pm

Tim, this company headquartered in Phoenix, AZ (MC #432758) is another one that advertises on www.123movers.com. A company using the same name but having a different MC number (382319) is headquartered in Brooklyn and its interstate authority is valid.

sketcher68

First American Van Lines -

Postby sketcher68 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:44 pm

okay
Last edited by sketcher68 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:08 pm

sketcher68

Postby sketcher68 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:22 pm

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Hmm, nice post.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 pm

Sketcher, were you a victim who removed your story because of a threat? I don't remember what was there before. Please contact one of us via PM to talk.

enutrof

Postby enutrof » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:49 pm

I just used First American Van Lines and had a similar experience. I was originally quoted over the phone and via email for $1050 and got a confirmation email that said payment is due in cash or cashier's check. I called them back and said that I wasn't aware that they only take cash and would not be able to use them if the estimate goes over the original quote of $1050. The sales rep kept on saying "the foreman will work with you". After researching the BBB, checking their licenses and looking for any complaints about the company (and not finding any), I decided to go ahead and use them.

The foreman arrived with a crew of 2 men. Before they started loading, I asked the foreman if he could look at my things and give a better estimate & he said ok. We started on the first floor and before he looked at my things on the second floor he said "this should not be a problem" and had his men start loading the truck. When they started with the second floor the foreman said that there was double the amount of things than that listed on the inventory the sales rep sent him. I asked what that meant and he said "either we charge you double ($2100) or we only take half of your things". I said that I can't afford it if they charge double if they only take cash and that if they take credit cards I would have no problem. Then he said "then I can only take what's on this list". When I asked how the rest of my things would get moved he said "find another moving company". I felt like I had no choice since they had already started putting my things into their truck.

So instead of being able to meet with friends and family before I moved, I spent the next 2 days stressing about finding another moving company and waiting for that moving company to come and pick up my remaining items.

My things eventually got delivered on schedule by First American Van Lines, but the foreman was incredibly rude during pick up and delivery. And after looking over everything that they moved for me, it wasn't even half of my things.

After paying $1050 to have a small amount of my things moved 380 miles and be treated so rudely, I do not recommend using the First American Van Lines based out of Phoenix.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:49 am

How much did the mover charge that came and moved your remaining things?

Never book a move with somebody that is going to have the van foreman come in and re'set the price. Thats illegal, and a truck driver is not qualified to do the pricing anyway.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:57 am

Did you send them an inventory list initially to get your estimate of $1050?

Did you end up adding a bunch of things after that inital list? Because you stated:

When they started with the second floor the foreman said that there was double the amount of things than that listed on the inventory the sales rep sent him.

If not, why didn't you insist they take everything on that list for the quoted price?

Who was the 2nd company that picked up the remaining items?

Return to “Report A Scam”