oz moving nyc - anyone use it?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

oz moving nyc - anyone use it?

Postby guest » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:01 pm

Just wondering if anyone has used OZ. T
They seem ok to me, but I'm paranoid.
www.oz-moving.com

BigLeeCalif

Re: oz moving nyc - anyone use it?

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:12 pm

Are you moving locally, intrastate, or interstate...???

Is this the same office you're dealing with?

Address: 318 East 78th Street New York NY, 10021
Toll Free: 800-716-7518
Phone Number: 212-452-6683
Fax Number: 212-452-2132
License: NYDOT 13032
License: MC 439945
License: USDOT 1058063

If you're moving within NY, you might want to check with your state licensing authority to see if that NY DOT number is valid, and whether they are properly insured.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Postby guest » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:16 pm

Yes that's them. I checked them out following the instructions in the article about choosing a mover... I'm just worried I'm missing something.

I'm moving NYC to Brooklyn - local move. They came over and gave me a written binding estimate.

Postby 23 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:21 pm

Guest,

That would seem a little suspicious to me. Local moves are almost never binding due to the fact that they are done by the hour and too many things like elevator delays, traffic, etc. come into play.

I would get a few more estimates if I were you.

Later!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:23 pm

if they gave you a written binding estimate, just review it to make sure there are no loopholes for adding additional charges.

I would still check to make sure they have valid operating permits and insurance...

If you want to share the estimate as far as hrly rate, there are agents I deal with in NYC, and I can see if you got a competitive rate.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Postby guest » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:23 pm

I thought it was good to get a written binding estimate! You're saying that should make me suspicous? They gave me two amounts. 1 is the estimate, one is the amount that it can't go above -can't remember the exact wording ( only about a $50 difference between them).

laura

Postby guest » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:26 pm

I checked SaferSys.org. - liscese and insurance all check out. I called the number to check on complaints - no complaints listed.

Checked BBB site - nothing looked out of order.

Am I missing anything?

Postby 23 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:27 pm

Most of the information you read on this site pertains to Interstate Moves, yours is a local move, which means different rules.

Get a few more estimates and see how you feel after that. And yes, binding estimates are not the normal on local moves. I would be suspicious about it.

Peace!

Postby guest » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:31 pm

I understand that, my confusion is how can the written binding estimate hurt me? Do you just mean it may be a high estimate to cover any variables that may come up?

23 wrote:Most of the information you read on this site pertains to Interstate Moves, yours is a local move, which means different rules.

Get a few more estimates and see how you feel after that. And yes, binding estimates are not the normal on local moves. I would be suspicious about it.

Peace!

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:39 pm

I would be somewhat wary of this company.

-->Their web site claims they have been operating under that name for 11 years, but DOT records show that they were only granted operating authority about six months ago.

-->Their web site says that the president is "Avi Oz" but the BBB lists that the president is "Eran Sobol". The contact person for the site is listed as "Shimon Zafrani". The contact person for their alternate site is "Lyle Schlesinger"

-->By the way, Avi Oz is a former officer in the Israeli 202nd Parachute Unit.

-->The presentaion of their testimonials is, shall we say, "enhanced" to mask the fact that multiple testimonials appear from the same source.

-->Craig'sList.com complaint is entitled "OZ MOVING IS TERRIBLE!! DON'T USE THEM"

-->They advertise heavily on Vanlines.com and similar scam-promotion sites.

-->They are an alias of AAA On Time Moving & Storage.

-->They have been FINED BY THE DOT for violations. At least they DID actually pay the fine. :roll:
Last edited by Tyrone on Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:50 pm

Point well taken Tyrone...

But 23, hehe

Some states do have protections in place...
That is why I asked for info i could call some other movers I work with...

In California, it is illegal to perform a move without a binding not-to-exceed estimate.

We operate off a Maximum rate tariff, which means you can go lower, but never higher.

Postby guest » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:52 pm

I see what you mean about the president's name...but the testamonial I don't see what you mean. They also brought me a folder when they came by to do the estimate with testamonials from anyone from Faye Dunaway to Saatchi & Saatchi ( about 30 pages of them).

And yes they are def. Israeli owned and operated, they seem to move a lot of people in the orthodox community.

Postby guest » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:54 pm

If I remember correctly the hourly rate was $100.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:59 pm

That's competitive with California... lol... we normally charge $95/hr 2 men and a truck.

If that's what you got, why not call a couple of other movers in NYC, and ask what their hourly rate is... If this Oz is on the up and up, the rates should be within $10 or so of each other.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:07 pm

For what it's worth, Avi's dad is a general in the Israeli armed forces... Avi states that he applies his military training and "strategies" to his moving customers.

Regarding the testimonials, almost all of the press clip PDF files are from the "Our Town" newspaper. Then you look at the testimonials and there is one from The West Side Spirit... which is the old name of the Manhattan Spirit News. Well what do you know! There is also a "different" testimonial listed from the Manhattan Spirit News.

Dig a little deeper... the contact email for the Manhattan Spirit News is "OurTown@aol.com"! Thus bringing us back full circle to show that at least 3 of the testimonials, and most of the "newspaper articles", including the company's humanitarian award, all came from the same source.

Avi has painted the face of his storefront HQ in red, white and blue colors and stated that "What we need to remember is that not all Islamic and Arab born people are terrorists".

More info:
The company's estimator is Lavi Brill.
The company was only incorporated on June 11, 2002.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Return to “Open Community”