over-weight on a not-to-exceed

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
RobM

over-weight on a not-to-exceed

Postby RobM » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:45 pm

Hi,

I am in the midst of a move with V Santini from Manhattan to Kansas. It is a one bedroom apartment but with a lot of books. We got several estimates and all were in the 4-5 thousand pound range. We went with V Santini that gave us a $3969.30 not-to-exceed based on 4750 punds.

They picked the stuff up Monday and called today to say that we weighed in at 7400 pounds and it would be $1700 extra. After some discussion they offered to split the difference. I will call them back later.

First off, this seems outrageous for a 1 bedroom apartment. Second, could an estimate really be that far off? We actually got rid of stuff that was included in the estimate. Can they really add to a not-to-exceed??

I guess I am wondering how I should handle this. Am I getting scammed?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Big Dog

Re: over-weight on a not-to-exceed

Postby Big Dog » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:51 pm

If it is fact a GNTE, then you shouldn't have to pay any more than the GNTE price. Did you sign a Change Order before loading increasing the price or changing the terms of the GNTE Bid? Ask for a re-weigh anyway. It's your right.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:51 pm

Rob, did you compare the estimate's inventory list to the actual inventory list? Can you post both of them for us? What did V. Santini say when you complained?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:07 pm

Big Dog's right; he's a professional mover. If they didn't do any kind of amendment to the original paperwork, then they are bound by the Guaranteed Not To Exceed estimate, even if they lose money on the shipment. That's the whole point of a GNTE.

Was the estimate based on a visual survey by a Santini employee? if so, I bet he'll get a STERN talking-to by the driver.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Since V. Santini is an Atlas agent, its GNTE is called an APP (Assured Price Protection) quote. If that's what you had, the company can't bill you for more unless the driver protested the estimate prior to loading the shipment. I guess they can ASK for more, but legally you aren't bound to give them more.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:54 pm

Thank you all for your responses so far. My fiance has been taking care of all this on the NY end. I was out of the country for the whole process and am only now getting involved. I have talked to her again and here is what I know. . . .

It was an APP quote.
A Santini employee came to the apartment for a visual estimate.
The driver did not protest before loading the truck.
My fiance did not sign a change to the contract (she's double-checked the paperwork to make sure).

I don't have the two inventories, but I do know that we returned many of the packing boxes that they thought we would need. . . that doesn't mean much, but we didn't need more boxes.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:43 pm

So you should be able to stand firm in the price cap.

If they keep insisting, call Corporate HQ and get someone's opinion on the agents' overriding of a APP quote without the appropriate change to the paperwork.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:46 pm

When is the delivery supposed to be?

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:20 pm

Of the 5 shipments I just loaded 3 or them where GTNE, 5 of them went over by 10 percent. Now I am not saying anything. But has the winter compition gotten bad this year?
Ruges

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:52 pm

So when giving GNTEs, how much of a buffer do estimators usually give the comapny? I thought it was only a few hundred pounds. How could this one move be that far off and the driver not say anything?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:42 pm

RobM,

Please keep us informed about how this turns out with V. Santini. That is one company that I had had high hopes for, based on reviews posted here, and I'm hoping that I won't be disappointed.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi,

Thought I'd come back and update everyone on how the move finished....quite well.

The over-weight subject did not come up again. I called Santini and they said that it did come in over weight but not to worry about it.

The driver, Alonzo, called up 24 hours before delivery, showed up on time, and did not mention the weight issue. The local crew did not show up to help him unload so he did it all with a bit of help from me. He was very friendly and no asking for tips, like I've seen reported so often on this board. Nothing damaged so far and we're almost all unpacked.

So in the end, quite a positive experience with V Santini.

RobM

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:41 pm

did you give him a tip?

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:45 pm

Out of interest, once everything is settled in and if you have the info, how many items were on the estimate cube sheet, how many items were on the driver's inventory and can you seperate the number of book cartons allowed for. FYI 40 lbs. per item 60 lbs per PBO book ctn. Did the do a reweigh anyway? Could have been a bad scale. This time of year the temperature changes can throw the scale mechanism off.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:26 pm

Tip. . . most certainly. Not only did the weight issue not come up, he worked hard and was very friendly.

As far as the # of boxes, I'll have to dig that out. I think we can piece together the number of book boxes.

Thanks again for all of the helpful responses.

Return to “Open Community”