Particle board waiver?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tedg

Particle board waiver?

Postby tedg » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:05 pm

Hi

I have begun getting estimates/bids for my move from Seattle to Asheville NC.

One mover (with a good reputation here) told me that all my Ikea and Office Max type particle board bookshelves and desks will require a 'particle board waiver', meaning the company is not liable for damage, unless the furniture is disassembled. This is said to be due to the easy shifting and distortion of such furniture during the move. I can believe the technical explanation, but another mover, (the are both agents of Allied) looked at the same furniture, and did not make the same comment. The 'waiver' guy says it is a standard practice in the industry, and that if the first guy didn't tell me, I'd find out the day of the move when the driver presented me with the waiver.

I might add that the 'waiver' guy was actually cheaper, and estimated about 3000 lbs less than the 'non waiver' guy. Both gave 'Binding not to exceed' estimates.

They were both friendly, informative, helpful, and seemed genuine and experienced. Since both were from companies with good reps on the Movingscam state/movers database, i figure one guy just wanted more slop in the estimate (but he had been doing estimates twice as long as the other guy)

So far these furniture items have survived Spokane to Seattle shipping without damage. I don't much care if they get scratched or scuffed, i just want them to function when they arrive.

Any comments on 'particle board waiver' and likelihood of damage?

thanks,
Tedg

Diane

Re: Particle board waiver?

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:14 pm

Policies on having customers sign such waivers vary from company to company, even within the same van line. This is the first I've heard of drivers presenting customers with the waivers on moving day, however.

In my own experience, my IKEA-type 2-foot-wide, 5-foot-high bookcases made it fine (in an ABF trailer). However, I think that when you get into large pieces like large computer desks and hutches, you might have some separation of the unit at the pegs or where there are small nails or staples on the back, for example. The photos I've seen of damage to such pieces have mostly shown the backs being partly torn off and then the furniture piece being slightly out of whack as a result. I think that that type of damage could probably be repaired, though.

Most of the professionals posting here have said NOT to try to take the pieces apart because it can be difficult if not impossible to put them back together. The holes can get enlarged, for example, meaning that you have to fill them with some type of wood putty to get the screws or pegs to hold again.

If you don't mind a few scuffs and scratches, I think you will be OK. The pros have posted that another thing that helps is to put shrink wrap around the whole piece (such as a computer hutch) to keep it together while being moved. The larger the piece, the larger the likelihood of some kind of separation, in my opinion.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:45 pm

As an owner of several IKEA pieces, don't take any chances. Take them apart.

You can call IKEA for new assembly instructions if you can't remember how they were put together in the first place.

tedg

Postby tedg » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:17 pm

thanks for the info, folks.

My Ikea 'entertainment center' (a very simple hutch) actually made it from Phila to Spokane (Bekins M&S)before making it from Spokane to Seattle. It's fairly well braced. I would be more annoyed by the inconvenience of having to buy replacements that by the loss of the actual furniture.

BTW -- both the movers are aware of (and approve of) Movingscam.com -- i guess because they both have good reputations here.

tedg

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:46 pm

If you don't want to take it apart, sign the wwaiver and hope it works a third time.

You can also get some corner braces from the Home Depot and shore up the joints.

weem

Postby weem » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:04 pm

The waiver is pretty standard for the above board honest movers. Most drivers will pull out a waiver but even if not done, the mover will probably deny liability under the "inherent vice " clause---which simply means that the mover is not liable for damages not caused by mover mis-handling. Most assembly instructions for such items strongly suggest that they be dis-assembled before moving--they are simply not made to be moved in the assembled state.

EZMover

Postby EZMover » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:52 am

Very well put weem! Also, most honest movers will check the piece out and offer the shipper the item's chances.

blue

Postby blue » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:49 pm

Particle board furniture was not made to move in an assembled fashion, period. If it moved once without incident, it was lucky. Twice, a miracle. That stuff wasn't meant to move from room to room once put together.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:20 pm

I know for a fact that United and Atlas have a partical board/manufactured wood waiver form. The form gives you three options as to what you wish to do. Proactive companies of course give you this form up front so your not surprised last minute.

The main thing to keep in mind, especially with partical board furniture, this stuff id held together by wood toggles, glue and is made of pressed board and laminate. Others may be held together by metal clamps and screws. Not ideal for moving.

This furniture is made to stay in a house not be shipped. When you get it, it is disassembled and packaged.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”